TGO Challenge 2006: Judith & others

Old May 30th 06, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default TGO Challenge 2006: Judith & others

What went well i.e. as planned?

What would you do differently, if/when you do it again?

David.

Old May 30th 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

"214Fells" wrote in message
oups.com...
What went well i.e. as planned?

What would you do differently, if/when you do it again?
David

..
After ten different crossings I think I've got preparations and logistics
down to a fine art, so just about everything went according to plan - with
one exception. I'd sent a food parcel to the post office in Kingussie for
collection on my way to Tromie Bridge. I arrived in Kingussie at 2 pm on
Wednesday to discover it was half day closing and the post office had closed
an hour ago. So I'd an unplanned overnight stay in Kingussie until the post
office opened at 9 am the following morning. As I'm normally up at six and
hitting the trail before 7.30 each morning this set me back a few miles and
hours so I'd to put in a couple of slightly longer days to catch up to my
schedule. But this was a minor problem and well compensated for by the
cameraderie and banter with other Challengers in the Tipsy Laird that
evening. Next time I'll check on half-closing days - as I always used to
do.
Gordon.

Old May 30th 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

[...]

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the response...

What's the weight of your pack?

Old May 30th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

"214Fells" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the response...
What's the weight of your pack?
David

33 lbs - and my partner's 23 lbs. She carries the food and I carry the
tent, stove, resealable gas cylinders, billies, cups, cutlery, etc. On
solo crossings, with a smaller tent, my pack weighs around 42 lbs with four
days food.
Gordon.

Old May 30th 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.walking

Runningfox wrote:
"214Fells" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the response...
What's the weight of your pack?
David

33 lbs - and my partner's 23 lbs. She carries the food and I carry the
tent, stove, resealable gas cylinders, billies, cups, cutlery, etc. On
solo crossings, with a smaller tent, my pack weighs around 42 lbs with four
days food.
Gordon.

Hi Gordon

That seems to be a very good way of doing it.

I just need to find somebody who doesn't mind sharing a tent with me
for two weeks.....Perhaps I'll just have to wait until my son is old
enough - is the minimum age 18?, although by that age he most probably
will not be interested any more in walking....

Cheers David.

Old May 30th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"214Fells" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Gordon
That seems to be a very good way of doing it.
I just need to find somebody who doesn't mind sharing a tent with me
for two weeks.....Perhaps I'll just have to wait until my son is old
enough - is the minimum age 18?, although by that age he most probably
will not be interested any more in walking....
Cheers David.

The minimum age is 18. The oldest person this year was 84 year old Jim
Taylor from Glenrothes. You'll find out all about it on the Challenge
website: www.tgochallenge.co.uk Or get the November issue of TGO
magazine with an entry form in it.
Gordon.

Old May 30th 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Runningfox wrote:

roups.com...

.
[...]

Easy to do online.
Find a post office here
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...?catId=7800129

You can then click on details to get the opening times.

http://tinyurl.com/q9yku which links to the Kingussie PO page at
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...tofficeIndex=2

Old May 30th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Runningfox wrote:
The minimum age is 18. The oldest person this year was 84 year old Jim
Taylor from Glenrothes. You'll find out all about it on the Challenge
website: www.tgochallenge.co.uk Or get the November issue of TGO
magazine with an entry form in it.
Gordon.

Thanks yet again....

Watch out for my son & I in 2013, 'god willing'.

Cheers David.

Old May 30th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

214Fells wrote:

What's the weight of your pack?
David

33 lbs - and my partner's 23 lbs. She carries the food and I carry the
tent, stove, resealable gas cylinders, billies, cups, cutlery, etc. On
solo crossings, with a smaller tent, my pack weighs around 42 lbs with four
days food.
Gordon.

Hi Gordon

That seems to be a very good way of doing it.

A better way would be for her to carry the 33 lbs and you the 23! ;^}

Jim Ford
Old May 30th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
Easy to do online.
Find a post office here
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...?catId=7800129

You can then click on details to get the opening times.

http://tinyurl.com/q9yku which links to the Kingussie PO page at

Cant say I've ever used the post food on option, precisely because it is so
difficult with weather and route changes to get into the right place at the
right time. I have to say that when you've been working hard all day
lugging a rucksack to the next stop, the last thing I want is my own
home-made food. Give me a pub any day.

There is a great challenge story about someone who got fed up with his pcak
load so he buried a load of gear down a rabbit hole intending to return to
pick it up later. When he got back he couldnt remember which hole he had
buried it down ;-)