== thought ==

Old November 13th 03, 09:47 AM
John HUDSON

Default == thought ==

== thought ==

He who has attained mastery over himself is indeed a greater
conqueror than one who has vanquished a thousand enemies.

BUDDHA

= = meaning = = = = = = ====

It is easier to conquer the outer enemies than Desire, the ruthless
bandit within. Only a strong will and alert mind can defeat him!

= =story = = = = = = = = =

"Are you prepared to wrestle with me? Come on, answer me!" asked the
champion wrestler to Laotse who was always telling others both lightly
as well as seriously, that nobody could ever defeat him. The wrestler
just didn't like it.

Laotse said: "I am prepared to accept your challenge. I am absolutely
ready to wrestle with you."

Then the day, date and time were fixed. Hundreds of people were
present to witness this strange occasion: Wrestling between a great
philosopher and a seasoned wrestler:

"You have honoured me by accepting my challenge!" said Laotse to the
champion with due salutations.

Next moment he lay down flat on his back and told him: "Come, my
friend, sit on my chest and announce loudly that you have won!"

"Heh!" said the champion: "This is not wrestling. You get up and
fight. Be quick."

"No, brother!" said Laotse, "I'm already defeated. How can a person
defeat anyone who himself is already defeated?"

"Nonsense!" said the wrestler, perplexed: "'I don't want to fight such
a wrestler."

He started going away. Then suddenly stopped. Something flashed in his
mind.

He bowed down to Laotse: "You have defeated even your own desire to
win. Nobody can defeat you, Sir!"

One who has conquered desires is really the conqueror of the world.

= = = = = == = = = = = = = = =

Old November 13th 03, 10:24 AM
Aaron

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
news
== thought ==

snip stuff

your just annoyed that england is going to get beaten by a bunch of frogs

--
Aaron

Old November 13th 03, 10:40 AM
John HUDSON

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:24:08 +1300, "Aaron" hunt354 at hotmail dot
com wrote:

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
news
== thought ==

snip stuff

your just annoyed that england is going to get beaten by a bunch of frogs

Vous êtes très mauvais vous l'amant de grenouilles et anglais appâte
le bouffon!

I shall only be "annoyed" if and when England *are* "beaten by a
bunch of frogs"!! If that is the case I may need to replace a very
expensive home entertainment system, following surgery to remove my
foot from it.

Be very careful on this very important topic or I may find it
necessary to killfile you!!

Old November 13th 03, 03:06 PM
Bob MacWilliam

[...]

This makes no sense.

One must have a tremendous desire to conquer one's desires in order to
achieve this.

All this babble just to cloud the true issue of the philosopher being
a chicken-****.

Bob
Old November 13th 03, 03:18 PM
John HUDSON

On 13 Nov 2003 06:06:47 -0800, (Bob
MacWilliam) wrote:

[...]

Take it up with Buddha Bob, or his millions of devotees. I'm merely a
hopeful agnostic who happens to be interested in all religions and
philosophies, particularly if they are inspirational and offer hope!

Being something of a combatant myself, I also happen to think that
all things Buddhist are trifle "chicken-****", as you so eloquently
put it! ;o)

Old November 13th 03, 04:10 PM
John Dongle

[...]

Well you know Buddah did have a great set of abs. Somewhere.
Old November 13th 03, 05:28 PM
Jim Ranieri

"John HUDSON" wrote in message

Being something of a combatant myself, I also happen to think that
all things Buddhist are trifle "chicken-****", as you so eloquently
put it! ;o)

I don't know if "Kung Fu" made it across the pond, but that is precisely the
type of trash talking the locals would engage in before Caine would unleash
a fury of fists and feet. Beware, western man.

Old November 13th 03, 05:58 PM
John HUDSON

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:28:05 -0600, "Jim Ranieri" [email protected] wrote:

"John HUDSON" wrote in message

Being something of a combatant myself, I also happen to think that
all things Buddhist are trifle "chicken-****", as you so eloquently
put it! ;o)

I don't know if "Kung Fu" made it across the pond, but that is precisely the
type of trash talking the locals would engage in before Caine would unleash
a fury of fists and feet. Beware, western man.

You are wise beyond your years 'Glasshopper'! ;o)

Old November 13th 03, 06:31 PM
Katra

Bob MacWilliam wrote:

[...]

No, you are just clueless and incapable of understanding deep philosophy.

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old November 13th 03, 09:13 PM
Bob MacWilliam

snip
One who has conquered desires is really the conqueror of the world.

= = = = = == = = = = = = = = =

This makes no sense.

One must have a tremendous desire to conquer one's desires in order to
achieve this.

All this babble just to cloud the true issue of the philosopher being
a chicken-****.

Take it up with Buddha Bob, or his millions of devotees. I'm merely a
hopeful agnostic who happens to be interested in all religions and
philosophies, particularly if they are inspirational and offer hope!

Being something of a combatant myself, I also happen to think that
all things Buddhist are trifle "chicken-****", as you so eloquently
put it! ;o)

I like the term "hopeful agnostic". Probably describes me fairly
accurately too. The problem is that when you're a hopeful agnostic
with at least half a brain, so much of organised religion becomes very
ridiculous very quickly.

Time to go worship at the altar of the squat rack.

Bob