10 Things You Must Do To Gain Mass

Old March 24th 04, 09:40 PM
Musclular

Default 10 Things You Must Do To Gain Mass

By Anthony Ellis, author of: "Gain mass" at
Http://www.bodyforlifers.com/musclegain.htm

Now there are many other things that you can do to help you build
mass, BUT these 10 things are the bare essentials. In other words,
they are absolutely necessary for a successful program.

1. Weight Train

Weight training involves the use of equipment that enables variable
resistance. This resistance can come in the form of "free weights"
like barbells and dumbbells, machines that use cables or pulleys to
help you lift the weight and bodyweight exercises like pull-ups or
dips.

For anyone trying to gain muscle, several things must be done. One is
to train with heavy weights. By heavy I mean a weight that is
challenging for YOU. The average guy in the gym usually works with a
weight he can lift for 10-15+ reps. For mass gaining purposes, this is
too light. Using an appropriate weight, you should only be able to do
4-8 reps. That's it! Using heavy weights and low reps puts your
muscles and nervous system under much more stress than using lighter
weights for many reps. This added stress causes the involvement and
stimulation of more muscle fibers, which will cause rapid muscle
growth.

For maximum muscle gain, the focus of your workouts should consist of
free weight exercises. Not machines or bodyweight exercises. This is
not to say that you shoud not use machines or bodyweight exercises,
but they should not be the focus of your training. To get an
effective, muscle blasting workout, you must stimulate the most muscle
fibers as possible, and machines do not do this.

The main reason for this is a lack of stabilizer and synergist muscle
development. Stabilizer and synergist muscles are supporting muscles
that assist the main muscle in performing a complex lift. The more
stabilizers and synergists worked, the more muscle fibers stimulated.
Multi-jointed free weight exercises like the bench press, require many
stabilizer and synergistic muscle assistance to complete the lift. On
the other hand doing a bench press using a machine will need almost no
stabilizer assistance. Click here for my favorite mass building
exercises..

If you are working out at home, make sure you check out this site for
some greate home fitness equipment.

2. Eat More Calories

The most important thing that I cannot emphasize is that you need to
eat to gain weight. You need to eat like you’ve never eaten
before. If you are not eating enough calories, you will NEVER gain
weight, no matter what you do. In order to build new muscle, you must
eat more calories than your body burns off, creating what is called a
caloric surplus. To gain mass, you should strive to eat around 18-20
times your bodyweight in calories. The extra calories will be used by
your body to repair muscle tissue that is damaged during the heavy
workouts, and to build new muscle.

Now, when I say eat, I do not mean just anything. All calories are not
created equal. In other words, some types of calories are not equal to
others for gaining muscle. For example, if I said that you need to eat
2,000 calories per day to gain weight, and you eat 4 bags of potato
chips each day, do you think you would gain muscle? Not likely. The
majority of your weight would be fat. Why? Because potato chips, like
most processed junk food, contains empty, totally nutritionless
calories. These foods do not provide you with the correct nutrient
breakdown essential for gaining muscle.

3. Eat More Protein

Without protein, your body will not be able to build new muscle. Years
ago, a higher carbohydrate and lower fat diet was the rage,
recommended by professional bodybuilders and trainers. They claimed
that this was the only way to eat for muscle gain. Unfortunately, the
only people gaining muscle on that type of diet were a genetically
gifted few. The rest just got fat.

Carbs serve mainly as energy for the body, while protein provides the
necessary amino acids to build and repair muscle. For muscle growth,
carbohydrates are not as essential as protein and fats. High quality
protein, which the body breaks down into amino acids, should be the
center point of all your meals. There are many studies that show
intense exercise increases demand for amino acids, which support
muscle repair and growth.To build muscle, you should try to get at
least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

Whether you believe it or not, the fact is: High protein diets build
more muscle when incorporated with intense training. Low protein diets
do not. Period. Only protein can build muscle. Carbohydrates and fat
cannot.

Here is one of the protein supplements that I recommend.

4. Eat More Often

To gain weight, you will be eating a large amount of calories.
Unfortunately, your body can only assimilate a certain number of
calories at each meal. For our purposes, eating three meals per day is
not beneficial. If you had to eat 3,000 calories per day, then you
would end up eating 1,000 calories at each meal. The average person
can only use a portion of those calories. The excess will be stored as
fat or removed from the body.

To enable your body to actually assimilate and use the 3,000 calories
you will ingest, you have to reduce your meal size and increase your
meal frequency. Splitting your calories into smaller, more frequent
portions will enable food absorption and utilization of nutrients . I
always eat six meals each day, evenly spaced out at three-hour
intervals.

My goal is to provide my body with constant nourishment throughout the
day. So if it typically takes about 2.5 hours to digest most meals,
want to be eating another meal just as my last meal is leaving my
stomach. I do this because my body is constantly in need of nutrients
to repair itself. I do a lot of damage during my workouts and
completely stress my system. My body is trying to "adapt to the
stress," but in order to do this, it needs consistent fuel.

If I ate only three meals per day, then my body would be without
nutrients for about six hours between each of those meals! This is
unacceptable for skinny guys. Without food, your body will quickly
begin to breakdown muscle tissue for energy.

5. Eat More Fat

If you want to gain muscle mass, you must eat enough dietary fat.
Dietary fats play an essential role in hormone production, which in
turn is responsible for growth and strength increases. I have never
gained muscle on a low fat diet, though many people still believe that
eating fat makes you fat. This is absolutely false. In fact, there is
a very popular muscle gain diet that been around for years, called the
"Anabolic Diet" that requires you to eat only fat! Butter, bacon, and
heavy cream are all on the menu. Though quite extreme, this diet does
work.

Most people are overweight because of a diet high in simple
carbohydrates, not from eating fats. If your diet is too low in fat,
your body will actually make a point to store any fat it gets, because
it doesn't know when it will get more. A low-fat diet will also lower
testosterone levels, something we do not want when trying to gain
weight. Studies have shown that dietary fat has a direct relationship
with testosterone production. An increase in dietary fat intake seems
to bring on an increase in testosterone levels. The inverse is also
true. A decrease in dietary fat intake is usually accompanied by a
decrease in free testosterone levels.

However, you don't want to increase your intake of saturated fats.
Saturated fats are what cause disease and coronary problems. Though
you will always have some saturated fats in your diet, your main focus
should be to increase your intake of Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs).

EFAs are unsaturated fats that are necessary for thousands of
biological functions throughout the body. Because they cannot be
manufactured by the body, the must be provided by your diet. These
fatty acids not only help increase testosterone production, but they
also aid in the prevention of muscle breakdown, help to increase your
HDL level (good cholesterol) and assist in hormone production. To get
your recommended amount of EFA's, I recommend supplementing your diet
with either Udo's Perfect Oil Blend (which combines omega- and
omega-6), or Cold-Pressed Flaxseed oil (which is mostly omega-3).

6. Drink More Water

To make sure that your muscles stay hydrated, you must drink plenty of
water. Dehydration can happen easily if you train hard. A dehydrated
muscle, takes longer to repair itself than one sufficiently hydrated.

Drinking a sufficient amount of water not only increases your
vascularity (more visible veins), but it will also help to quickly
remove toxins from the body. Protein generates metabolic waste
products that must be dissolved in water. Without enough water, the
kidneys cannot efficiently remove these wastes.

7. Take a Multi-Vitamin

There are many supplements and specific muscle gain enhancing products
that I recommend using in my book, but I have to remember that this is
only the 10 most important elements of a successful mass program. So,
I have to keep this brief and to the point. All of the other products
will help, but they are not essential. So, I will only touch on two
vitamins supplements.Multi-Vitamins and Antioxidants.

If you want to gain muscle, you must make sure that you are not
deficient in any vitamin, mineral or trace element that your body
needs. I know many people are going to disagree with me, but I believe
that in this day, we absolutely need to supplement our diet with
vitamins and minerals. I know that those who are against using
vitamins are going to say that if we "just eat a balanced diet. . . ",
You know the rest.

Well first, eating a balanced diet is easier said than done. America
is the most overweight country in the world. Most people don't even
know what a "balanced" diet is. Balanced with what? Experts will
continue to spout, "eat a balanced diet," while Americans feast on
nutritionless fast food and sugar.

Second, not only do our bodies have to deal with the ever-increasing
external stresses of everyday life, they also have to combat
nutrient-depleting exercise. Food today is, for the most part,
nutritionless - almost totally void of the body strengthening vitamins
and minerals it contained one hundred years earlier. Instead, we now
ingest over-processed, fiberless meals, and under-ripened vegetables
grown in barren, over-farmed soil, laden with pesticides.

How healthy can that be? If you want to ignore the facts and continue
on about "balanced diets," fine. It's your decision. But I, for one,
eat a balanced diet, and I still take a multi-vitamin supplements.

Many mult-vitamin manufacturers try to put "everything" in their
product, but it's not necessary. At minimum, your multi-vitamin should
contain the USRDA (recommended daily allowance) of vitamins A,
B-complex, C, D, E, K and the minerals calcium, magnesium, zinc,
iodine, selenium, and possibly iron (for women). Men should find a
multi-vitamin without iron. You typically get more than enough iron
from your food. Extra iron is needed only for menstruating women.

It should also contain other essential nutrients like biotin,
chromium, copper, manganese, molybdenum and pantothenic acid.

There are some vitamins and minerals that are best taken separately.
Vitamin E, vitamin C, folic acid and calcium are best taken at higher
dosages. Many proponents of multi-vitamins cite that taking that many
vitamins and vitamins together causes negative interactions because
they compete with each other for absorption. For example: magnesium,
zinc, and calcium compete for absorption; copper and zinc also compete
for absorption.

But think about this for a minute. This is no different than eating
different foods at the same time, as most people do. The vitamins and
minerals in the foods compete also. Competition is expected and the
body is designed to handle that. Here is a good multi-vitamin that I
use.

8. Take Antioxidants

An antioxidant like Vitamins A, C, E, Glutathione, Glutamine, and
Selenium are essential in preventing free radical damage, which is
accelerated after the heavy trauma of weight training. Antioxidants
protect other substances by being oxidized themselves. Here's a good
antioxidant blend that I also use.

9. Rest More Often

Rest is the most overlooked "skinny-guy secret". If you don't rest,
you won't grow. Simple as that. Your body does not build muscle in the
gym, it builds muscle while resting!

The key to successfully gaining weight is eating enough calories,
training hard and then resting. No diet adjustments will make up for
lack of rest. If you train hard in the gym, then you should be resting
your muscles as much as possible. If you do not give them time to rest
and repair, you will not grow. Period.

10. Be Consistent

O.K., so you want the secret to gaining muscle mass fast? Well, here
it is: CONSISTENCY.

You can have the best diet, the best training schedule, join the best
gym that has the best equipment, but without consistency it's all
worthless.

Over the past 3 years, I've talked to hundreds of people who have
successfully transformed their physique. Though most of them trained
in totally different ways, there was one common denominator that
appeared throughout each success story:

Day in and day out, they followed their pre-determined plan,
consistently, without fail.

You must find the determination and drive within yourself to
consistently put one foot in front of the other and see this through.
If not now, then when?

"You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you
can." - Tony Blauer

Think that this is too complicated or inconvenient?

Sometimes guys will complain to me about the perceived inconvenience
of following a specific plan. I can see it’s easy to make
excuses, after all, I used to do the same thing.

Don't get caught up in this. The truth is, the hardest part any
training routine is getting started. You've got to break your old
habits and make new paths for yourself. Remember that saying, “Do
what you've always done, and get what you've always gotten”.

Read it again.

Before I really learned the right way to gain muscle, I trained
sporadically. I worked out when I felt like it. One week I might have
trained five days, while another week I would train once or twice. As
far as my routine was concerned, I did whatever seemed interesting at
the time. Never keeping track of my sessions or planning my routines.
I had been a member of a popular health club for 8 years, yet I had
managed to gain not one pound of muscle. I tried all the popular
"weight gaining" products at the time. Very expensive stuff like
Cybergenics, weight gainer powders, Boron, amino acid tablets, etc.
The list goes on.

Needless to say, none of it worked. I began to give in to the fact
that I just could not gain weight. "It's because I have a fast
metabolism", I was told. I had been thin my entire life, and I would
have done just about anything to gain weight. For years I did not know
what it felt like to weight more than 138 pounds. I was even
underweight as a child.

After I was born, I had to remain at the hospital for an extra seven
days because of my weight. Understand, this was not just some
overnight problem for me my lack of size had plagued me my entire
life. In my teen years, I took up the martial arts in hopes of
learning to defend myself against the much larger kids at school. Too
ashamed of my appearance, I was rarely seen without my shirt in the
summer time. To thin, I was not allowed to play sports in high school
or college.

When I speak, I speak from first hand experience. I am not some guy
who is naturally athletic, or genetically gifted. I had always been
thin, and I would still be thin if I had listened to everyone around
me telling me why I couldn't gain weight.

You can do it too; I'm not that special.
These are just a few points taken from Anthony's superb book "Gain
Mass" found at Http://www.bodyforlifers.com/musclegain.htm
Old March 25th 04, 06:15 AM
bc

On 24 Mar 2004 12:40:43 -0800, (Musclular) wrote:

By Anthony Ellis, author of: "Gain mass" at
Http://www.bodyforlifers.com/musclegain.htm

I'm a little leery of advice from someone in this group who can't
spell "Muscular." But, the column seemed fine, if a little wordy.

- bc

Old March 25th 04, 04:40 PM
John Dongle

bc wrote in message . ..
On 24 Mar 2004 12:40:43 -0800, (Musclular) wrote:

By Anthony Ellis, author of: "Gain mass" at
Http://www.bodyforlifers.com/musclegain.htm

I'm a little leery of advice from someone in this group who can't
spell "Muscular." But, the column seemed fine, if a little wordy.

- bc

The "Eat More Often" thing is off. Your body is perfectly capable of
using the amount of food you put in it. I know plenty of people who
do fine on 3 meals a day.

Skinny lifter gain mass? Bish Weights 19 February 11th 04 01:35 AM
Help! 800cal/day = good diet or ED? "Eat less, do more" not working? VLCD trap? vlcd_hell Weights 126 February 7th 04 01:21 AM
Why do the BBing Mags keep lying about weights? Robert Schuh Weights 41 November 9th 03 10:43 PM
The theory of lifting heavy to gain mass Anthony Lovecraft Weights 7 October 25th 03 03:47 AM
Possible to gain mass and loss fat at once? Ron Weights 10 October 9th 03 03:27 AM