Wide boots for general hill walking (3 season).

Old September 18th 05, 05:18 PM
Joe

Default Wide boots for general hill walking (3 season).

Hi, I am looking for a new pair of boots but am having trouble with width. I
currently have a pair of Scarpa ZG65 XCR's but they are too narrow in the
toe area (despite being fitted at George Fishers). They are an excellent
boot but I am unable to wear them more than a couple of miles. Has anyone
any recommendations of a wider fitting quality boot. Good boot shops are
quite rare in East Kent.
Thanks Joe.

Old September 18th 05, 05:59 PM
Si

If you are happy with your Scarpa's except the fit, then you could try
getting hold of your size in a wide fit, I know they make SL's and
Manta's in a wide fit.

Cheers Si,

Old September 18th 05, 06:06 PM
RW

"Joe" wrote in message
Hi, I am looking for a new pair of boots but am having trouble with width.
I currently have a pair of Scarpa ZG65 XCR's but they are too narrow in
the toe area (despite being fitted at George Fishers). They are an
excellent boot but I am unable to wear them more than a couple of miles.
Has anyone any recommendations of a wider fitting quality boot. Good boot
shops are quite rare in East Kent.
Thanks Joe.

This summer my Zamberlans needed replacing after nine years of service.

Most of the new boots I tried on were too narrow or slipped at the heel.
However, I tried the Brasher Trailmaster and found it was a perfect fit, so
I ended up getting a pair of those.

So far, so good - no blisters even after some lengthy mountain hikes in
Norway.

RW.

Old September 18th 05, 06:49 PM
Rod Craddock

"RW" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
Hi, I am looking for a new pair of boots but am having trouble with
width. I currently have a pair of Scarpa ZG65 XCR's but they are
too narrow in the toe area (despite being fitted at George
Fishers). They are an excellent boot but I am unable to wear them
more than a couple of miles. Has anyone any recommendations of a
wider fitting quality boot. Good boot shops are quite rare in East
Kent.
Thanks Joe.

This summer my Zamberlans needed replacing after nine years of
service.

Most of the new boots I tried on were too narrow or slipped at the
heel. However, I tried the Brasher Trailmaster and found it was a
perfect fit, so I ended up getting a pair of those.

I've had a pair of those for about a year now, fitted like a glove
from day 1. Still comfortable at the end of a big day of
walking/scrambling. Not great on wet rocks - are any of the others?

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old September 18th 05, 07:09 PM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Rod Craddock said
snip
Most of the new boots I tried on were too narrow or slipped at the
heel. However, I tried the Brasher Trailmaster and found it was a
perfect fit, so I ended up getting a pair of those.

I've had a pair of those for about a year now, fitted like a glove
from day 1. Still comfortable at the end of a big day of
walking/scrambling. Not great on wet rocks - are any of the others?

I find Brasher 'own brand' soles notably worse than 'proper' Vibram sole
units on wet rock/stone/wood etc. It has to be said that I've yet to
find anything (in walking boots) I'd rate better than about 8/10, but
the Brashers I've tried were down in the 3/10 level - my street shoes do
better.

As to the width, it seems inconsistent - I'm currently trying to wear
out some FMB1s and they are much more narrow and uncomfortable than the
same sized FMB2s they were a replacement for. The widest ones I've found
recently were a cheap pair from Hawkshead - front of the foot is almost
too loose, whereas the heel fits fine.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Old September 18th 05, 07:22 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:06:16 +0100, "RW"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
Hi, I am looking for a new pair of boots but am having trouble with width.
I currently have a pair of Scarpa ZG65 XCR's but they are too narrow in
the toe area (despite being fitted at George Fishers). They are an
excellent boot but I am unable to wear them more than a couple of miles.
Has anyone any recommendations of a wider fitting quality boot. Good boot
shops are quite rare in East Kent.
Thanks Joe.

This summer my Zamberlans needed replacing after nine years of service.

Most of the new boots I tried on were too narrow or slipped at the heel.
However, I tried the Brasher Trailmaster and found it was a perfect fit, so
I ended up getting a pair of those.

So far, so good - no blisters even after some lengthy mountain hikes in
Norway.

RW.

I found Raichle, Asolo & Brasher boots fitted me - wide forefoot
narrow heel.
In the midi style I found Montrail okay.

Meindl have a good reputation for wide feet

The only way is to try a wide range on - until you find something
that fits - ignore the reviews etc.

Robert
royall at which net
Old September 18th 05, 10:24 PM
Jonathan Stott

Joe wrote:
Good boot shops are quite rare in East Kent.

I take it you've tried the plethora of shops in Canterbury? There's a
Black's, a Millets and another one (the name of which escapes me at the
moment), all within striking distance of the Buttermarket. The advice in
Black's is usually OK, but it depends who you talk to (and if there's
someone to talk to!).

--
Jonathan Stott
Canterbury Weather: http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/
Old September 19th 05, 09:04 AM
Joe

"Jonathan Stott" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
Good boot shops are quite rare in East Kent.

I take it you've tried the plethora of shops in Canterbury? There's a
Black's, a Millets and another one (the name of which escapes me at the
moment), all within striking distance of the Buttermarket. The advice in
Black's is usually OK, but it depends who you talk to (and if there's
someone to talk to!).

Hi, Thanks.
Yes I have tried them all, Blacks is ok, but choice is small, F&T is dire at
the moment - untrained temp staff and poor range.

Old September 19th 05, 09:10 AM
Simon Caldwell

wrote:

This summer my Zamberlans needed replacing after nine years of service.

I have wide feet, and never found anything better than Zamberlans.

S.

--
Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse
Old September 19th 05, 10:54 AM
Richard Webb

I have yet to find a pair of boots wide enough, and many pairs I have
had have been very painful after a few hours wear.

I have gone fabric, in an attempt to stay on the hill and its working
a treat. Got a Berghaus pair in lurid blue - dont know the model
name though

Richard Webb