Training week ending July 4 2010

Old July 15th 10, 01:40 PM posted to rec.running
Edward Edmonds

Default Training week ending July 4 2010

On 7/14/2010 12:09 AM, Edward Edmonds wrote:
On 7/13/2010 7:27 PM, John Hurley wrote:
I would be thinking about a day where
you do mile repeats ( maybe 5? ) after a good warmup. Maybe some
1200's and/or 800's on different days.

That stuff is built into my runs, I have a really nice watch
http://amzn.com/B000AR7RYK with a countdown timer and a built in repeat
function that does the trick. I prefer to do these repeats during my
runs because I'm training for a certain effect and I pretty much know
what that feels like.

If your looking for a specific distance, I prefer 1000m and 2000m.

I'm not to heavy on the "hare core" interval stuff though, I do it
sometimes but not as often as you'd think, I think when your paces are
dropping primarily because of increased aerobic fitness that it is
important to focus on that, let the stimulus match the response, in
other words provide the stimulus you need to improve according to your
long term goals, I think it's important to only provide the right amount
of stimulus that's needed in order to improve, I think that if you get
into the habit of training with too much intervals you'll plateau
yourself too early and never reach your full potential. I used to have
a great analogy for this but I can't remember it for the life of me
right now.

That's why I like lots of hills and gentle downhill running (1-2%),
hills give you power and good aerobic stimulus, and downhills teach you
to relax your stride and have good stride length and turnover at low
heart rates, I think you can go really far with that

And later on when it's more appropriate to add a greater % of hardcore
stuff I will, definitely a long term thing I have set up.

E**2