Training Week Ending 4 December 2011

Old December 3rd 11, 10:29 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Default Training Week Ending 4 December 2011

Be honest - posting here will keep you honest about your goals and your
workouts. Don't wait for January 1, 2012 to make a resolution - start
now!

-S-

Old December 4th 11, 04:40 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Be honest - posting here will keep you honest about your goals and
your workouts. Don't wait for January 1, 2012 to make a resolution -
start now!

Continuing on my same program, week #4.

Notes: Since I hit 5 ladders to 3 last heavy day, everything dials up a
notch this week - Light day is what Medium was last week, medium day
becomes the old heavy day, and heavy day starts with 1 ladder to 5.
Result is a big increase in volume.

MON: 5 ladders of:
20/20: mil press x 1, PU @ bw + (2x16kg), 1
20/20: mil press x 2, PU @ bw + (2x16kg), 1

DL: 225 x 8 overhand on Okie bar.

WED: brisk 3 mi walk first, then 5 ladders of (all pu/cu still bw + 32
kg hanging on feet)
20/20: mil press x 1, PU x 1
20/20 mil press x 2, PU x 1
20/20 mil press x 3, CU x 2

20: swing, lf, 15, 7

SAT: Heavy Day, still all pu/cu w/ 32 kg on feet
Ladder #1:
20/20: mil press, 1 + PU, 1
20/20: mil press, 2 + PU, 1
20/20: mil press, 3 + PU, 1
20/20: mil press, 4 + CU, 2

Ladder #2 and 4
20/20: mil press, 1 + PU, 1
20/20: mil press, 2 + PU, 1
20/20: mil press, 3 + CU, 3

Ladder #3 and 5
20/20: mil press, 1 + PU, 1
20/20: mil press, 2 + PU, 1
20/20: mil press, 3 + CU, 2

Totalled 11 PU, up from 1 from last heavy day, was making PU/CU choice
and rep count solely by feel

20: swing, 20L+20R+7L+7R in about 1:30

Had planned to stop there but some of my son's friends were trying to DL
my Okie bar w/ 225 on it, and I decided I'd do a few, so

DL: 225 x 12 overhand on the Okie bar - 12 singles w/o resetting, just
breath at the bottom.

NB: I'm sure it won't work this way forever, but for now, heavy pullups
and chinups are improving my form. With any less weight, I tend to get
casual about them, but with this much weight, I really run through my
mental checklist for form before every set and it really helps.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old December 5th 11, 01:08 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jim Janney[_2_]

"Steve Freides" writes:

Be honest - posting here will keep you honest about your goals and your
workouts. Don't wait for January 1, 2012 to make a resolution - start
now!

Change of pace this week reflecting some improvement in my hips. I
wanted to try a light/medium/heavy schedule with pistols and weighted
pullups, but I didn't know how much of either I was ready to do. For
the weighted pullups I put an old UPS in a backpack: it weighs around 14
lbs.

Tuesday light
weighted pullups 5x1
pistols 5x1

Thursday medium
weighted pullups 5x(1+2)
pistols 3 x (1+2) 2 x 1

Saturday heavy
weighted pullups 5x(1+2+3)
pistols 5x1

Based on this I'll probably increase the volume on the pullups, stick to
singles on the pistols, and add some variety days.

--
Jim Janney
Old December 5th 11, 01:39 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Existential Angst[_2_]

"Jim Janney" wrote in message
"Steve Freides" writes:

[...]

Pistols on a healing hip joint?? goodgawd.....
--
EA

--
Jim Janney

Old December 5th 11, 05:03 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jim Janney[_2_]

"Existential Angst" writes:

Pistols on a healing hip joint?? goodgawd.....

Sounds crazy, I know. But...

It's easy to bail out of a pistol gone wrong: just put your other foot
down. For me the sticking point is near the bottom, and then it's even
easier. More importantly, the secret to doing a good pistol is staying
tight all the way through, and this helps to protect the joint over the
full range of motion. It's the fast, relatively uncontrolled movements
that worry me; that's why I'm still not doing Hindu squats.

But it's an experiment. If I don't like the way things are going I'll
try something else.

--
Jim Janney
Old December 5th 11, 03:19 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Jim Janney wrote:
"Steve Freides" writes:

Be honest - posting here will keep you honest about your goals and
your workouts. Don't wait for January 1, 2012 to make a resolution
- start now!

Change of pace this week reflecting some improvement in my hips. I
wanted to try a light/medium/heavy schedule with pistols and weighted
pullups, but I didn't know how much of either I was ready to do. For
the weighted pullups I put an old UPS in a backpack: it weighs around
14 lbs.

-snip-

Nice work, Jim. Pistols are one of those "what doesn't kill you makes
you stronger" sorts of things. The schedule sounds perfect, too.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old December 5th 11, 11:07 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl[_2_]

I had to bail on one of my runs and one of my lifting days, and I never
did the running workout that I had planned. I am still pretty happy
with the week. The runs I did do were comparable to the runs that I had
planned. The weight training, though pathetic, was a step in the right
direction, and it did not hurt.

I read /Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest
Race the World Has Never Seen/. I would recommend it. It was a good
story, and the sciency bits that get thrown in were interesting. I am
probably going to have to buy myself some Vibram 5 fingers shoes.

* DONE RF White L1 Wk3 Day 1 2011-11-29 Tue
I did not quite have enough time to do a proper workout so I just
ran 1.2 miles without stopping. I tried to time it, but I pushed
the wrong button to start.
** Notes
I want to get to the point where running is fun. Despite the fact
that it was freezing this morning I had a good time.

* DONE Dead Lift/Pull up 2011-11-30 Wed
CLOCK: [2011-11-30 Wed 19:57]--[2011-11-30 Wed 20:08] = 0:11
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
| Set | Exercise | Wgt | Rep | Total |
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
| 1 | Dead Lift | 225 | 5 | 1125 |
| | Pull up | 220 | 2 | 440 |
| 2 | Dead Lift | 205 | 5 | 1025 |
| | Chin up | 220 | 2 | 440 |
| 3 | Dead Lift | 205 | 5 | 1025 |
| | Pull up | 220 | 1 | 220 |
| 4 | Dead Lift | 205 | 5 | 1025 |
| | Chin up | 220 | 2 | 440 |
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
| | Total | | | 5740 |
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
#+TBLFM: $5=$3*$4::@10$5=vsum(@[email protected])
** Notes
I just picked a weight that would give me lots of time to work up
to a serious weight. It was a good thing I did. Heavier would not
have been better. The hamstring stretch felt good. Like always I
have a long way to go with the chin/pull ups.

* DONE Dead Lift/Pull up 2011-12-02 Fri
CLOCK: [2011-12-02 Fri 20:31]--[2011-12-02 Fri 20:56] = 0:25
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
| Set | Exercise | Wgt | Rep | Total |
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
| 1 | Dead Lift | 235 | 5 | 1175 |
| | Pull up | 219 | 2 | 438 |
| 2 | Dead Lift | 205 | 5 | 1025 |
| | Chin up | 219 | 2 | 438 |
| 3 | Dead Lift | 205 | 5 | 1025 |
| | Pull up | 219 | 2 | 438 |
| 4 | Dead Lift | 205 | 5 | 1025 |
| | Chin up | 219 | 2 | 438 |
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
| | Total | | | 6002 |
|-----+-----------+-----+-----+-------|
#+TBLFM: $5=$3*$4::@10$5=vsum(@[email protected])
** Notes
Abigail and Eliza came down and *helped* me with my workout, that's
why it took so long. I am not sad about that.

The last four pull/chin ups were actually singles instead of sets
of 4. I really need more singles during the day.

* DONE RF White L1 Wk3 Day 5 2011-12-03 Sat
I ran 2.2 miles with KaeLynn. We stopped and stretched at the
halfway point. Total time 27:02.11.
** Notes
This was not what I had planned, but I think it was comparable, and
running with my wife is a lot more fun than running by myself.