Effects of High Intensity Intermittent Training

Old July 8th 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.running
Edward Edmonds

Default Effects of High Intensity Intermittent Training

I think for most folks this is old news, but still worth sharing:

http://bit.ly/abRIc6

E**2
Old July 9th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

Before anybody knew about what HIT meant, my buddies and I back in the early
80's used to do 20 x 200m track workouts. That was my first speedwork, and
I took about 10 minutes off my marathon time just doing that for a few
weeks. In 7 weeks I went from 2:54 to 2:44 in the marathon.

I've always been pretty ecumenical about speedwork: it may not matter much
exactly what you do, as long as you do something. I tend to mix it up, with
distances from 150 to 800m, (or 30 seconds to 3 minutes) alternating short
interval days and long interval days.

Kenny Bikele (all world, record holder in 5k and 10k) has posted his speed
workout of 6 x 800m, with each having a lap of 1:05, then closing with a 2nd
lap around :53! He does this once a week, on a base of ~140 miles/week. It
apparently doesn't take much to be effective.

Old July 9th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

D Stumpus wrote:
Before anybody knew about what HIT meant, my buddies and I back in
the early 80's used to do 20 x 200m track workouts. That was my
first speedwork, and I took about 10 minutes off my marathon time
just doing that for a few weeks. In 7 weeks I went from 2:54 to 2:44
in the marathon.
I've always been pretty ecumenical about speedwork: it may not
matter much exactly what you do, as long as you do something. I tend
to mix it up, with distances from 150 to 800m, (or 30 seconds to 3
minutes) alternating short interval days and long interval days.

Kenny Bikele (all world, record holder in 5k and 10k) has posted his
speed workout of 6 x 800m, with each having a lap of 1:05, then
closing with a 2nd lap around :53! He does this once a week, on a
base of ~140 miles/week. It apparently doesn't take much to be
effective.

For those not interested in competing at endurance events, doing
_nothing but_ interval training seems to lead to quite a bit of good
things for general health. Google "tabata protocol" for more.

-S-

Old July 14th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.running
Steve Freides[_2_]

jobs wrote:
On 7/9/2010 10:48 AM, Steve Freides wrote:

For those not interested in competing at endurance events, doing
_nothing but_ interval training seems to lead to quite a bit of good
things for general health. Google "tabata protocol" for more.

-S-

I've had some success with Tabata. However, I'd only been doing it
about twice a week. Unfortunately, I only got to do about 4 weeks or
so. I ran a 19:56 5K and then a few weeks later, a 19:37 and then a
week later, a 19:05. See my post from the July 4th training week
thread for details. I think there is more potential if I could be a
bit more consistent in my base mileage.

jobs

There's that old saying about the chain only being as strong as its
weakest link - sounds like whatever Tabata protocol training did for
you, it targeted something you needed. Taking almost a minute off your
5k time is pretty good!

-S-