training in the winter months compared to the summer months

Old November 28th 03, 01:25 AM
john

Default training in the winter months compared to the summer months

This could all be in my head, but does anyone else notice training
improvement differences in the colder months compared to the warmer
months?

I've noticed that I can't seem to improve muscles growth through
weights or endurance throught running/swimming/biking during the
winter as well as I do during the summer months?

Does anyone else have this same problem as I do?

Does anyone know why this might be?

derg
Old December 4th 03, 06:01 PM
Lyle McDonald

john wrote:

This could all be in my head, but does anyone else notice training
improvement differences in the colder months compared to the warmer
months?

I've noticed that I can't seem to improve muscles growth through
weights or endurance throught running/swimming/biking during the
winter as well as I do during the summer months?

Does anyone else have this same problem as I do?

Does anyone know why this might be?

amusingly enough, was reading the new editino of Bompa's Periodization
of Training.
he mentions that some Russian researcher found what you're describing
and attributed it to a lack of UV rays in the winter, supposedly found
that UV light exposure corrected the problem.

sounds like bull**** to me but you never know. I suspect it's more
related to the effects of photoperiod on hormone levels than anything
else. You might try a tanning bed for UV light exposure and see if it
corrects things.

Lyle