Heart rate monitors

Old September 10th 04, 06:09 PM
Top Spin

Default Heart rate monitors

From what I have read here and elsewhere, a heart rate monitor is a
valuable aerobic training aid. I have never used one.

Are they all more or less the same (as far as quality) or is there one
brand or model that is better than the others?

There are so many models with so many features. What features do I
really need. My goals are primarily to get in shape and stay in shape.
I am not training for the olympics, but I would like to make the best
use of my exercise time.

I am not looking for the cheapest unit. I am actually a bit of a
gearhead / gadget freak. I would be happy to pay for cool features if
they are actually substantive, but would like to avoid gimmicks that
only make the unit harder to use.

Also, anything that would make the workout more interesting, such as
useful stats would be interesting to me.

Based on that, can anyone recommend a good manufacturer and,m even
better, a good model?

How about some good books to read on how to make best use of an
aerobic workout?

Thanks

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Old September 10th 04, 11:05 PM
Isiafs5

Top Spin

Are they all more or less the same (as far as quality) or is there one
brand or model that is better than the others?

www.groups.google.com

Do advanced search for misc.fitness.aerobic subject: Heart Rate Monitors
Etc.

This top has been discussed a great deal.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old September 11th 04, 02:19 AM
Joe User

Top Spin wrote:
From what I have read here and elsewhere, a heart rate monitor
is a valuable aerobic training aid.

I believe so.

Are they all more or less the same (as far as quality) or is
there one brand or model that is better than the others?

I am only personally familiar with Polar, which I believe is
very good.

In my opinion, the ones with chest straps are best, generally.
But some people might not be able to use them due to physical
constraints. Also, some equipment interferes with the radio
signal between the chest strap and the receiver ("wris****ch").

(On the other hand, much gym equipment is designed to work
with Polar. I don't know if the radio-signal protocol is
standard enough to say that they would work with other HRMs.)

There are so many models with so many features. What features do I
really need. My goals are primarily to get in shape and stay in shape.
I am not training for the olympics, but I would like to make the best
use of my exercise time.

I have the same goals. I use the cheapest Polar, which
just reports heart rate (and elapsed time). I see that
Polar has replaced it with another style. I can vouch
for its usability (display readability, etc).

Personally, I have little use for "target zone" monitors.
They alert you when you go outside some HR range. If you
like that feature, be sure that you can set the upper and
lower limits, rather it being computed based on age, etc.

Calorie "counters" might be fun. But their estimate has
such a wide standard deviation (30-40%, according to one
manufacturer) that I cannot see any value in them.

I won't go through the litany of other features. Suffice
it say, I see little value in most of them.

anything that would make the workout more interesting, such as
useful stats would be interesting to me.

And I was going to say ....

The only "bell and whistle" that you might consider is
the ability to download a history of your HR throughout
the workout. In my opinion, that feature is not worth
the price (usually very expensive models) for most people.
But I must admit: occassionally I wish I could have
better statistics beyond the average, such as highest HR,
lowest HR, standard deviation, etc. But I am very analytical,
and it is more a curiosity than anything of practical value,
except for the most serious trainees (Lance Armstrong, etc).
Old September 11th 04, 08:50 AM
Joe User

I wrote:
I use the cheapest Polar, which
just reports heart rate (and elapsed time). I see that
Polar has replaced it with another style. I can vouch
for its usability (display readability, etc).

I meant to write: I can_not_ vouch for its usability,
since I have never seen or used it.
Old September 12th 04, 02:45 PM
Peter Webb

As others have said, buy the cheapest Polar.

It will work with most gym equipment, everybody I know who uses HRMs just
use them to check they are in the correct zone, the other beeps and readouts
are useless. Polar also has an excellent reputation for service and
reliability.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, a heart rate monitor is a

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Old October 5th 04, 02:46 PM
Shannon

I agree with Peter, Polar is a very good brand. They are cheap, but
also high quality and are easy to work with. Polar is also used in
alot of schools. In some of my fitness classes we used different
brands of heart rate monitors, but I found polar to be the best.

Shannon

"Peter Webb" wrote in message . au...
As others have said, buy the cheapest Polar.

It will work with most gym equipment, everybody I know who uses HRMs just
use them to check they are in the correct zone, the other beeps and readouts
are useless. Polar also has an excellent reputation for service and
reliability.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, a heart rate monitor is a

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com