The discussion about the LZR suits in the Olympics

Old September 3rd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_10_]

Default The discussion about the LZR suits in the Olympics

It reminds me of a conversation on another newsgroup. One guy said that the
cost of pizza by the slice had gone up and the ONLY reason possible was the
increase in the cost of peperoni. Someone else said, "How can you forget
that milk has also gone up?" and another writer wrote "Well, so has the cost
of cheese!" And the first guy kept on insisting, that no, it was due to the
price of peperoni alone because..."I have heard from many people who like
pizza and they all believe it is due to the price of peperoni! Why don't the
rest of you understand this?"

Pat in TX

Old September 3rd 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Micheal Artindale

"Pat" wrote in message
It reminds me of a conversation on another newsgroup. One guy said that
the cost of pizza by the slice had gone up and the ONLY reason possible
was the increase in the cost of peperoni. Someone else said, "How can you
forget that milk has also gone up?" and another writer wrote "Well, so has
the cost of cheese!" And the first guy kept on insisting, that no, it was
due to the price of peperoni alone because..."I have heard from many
people who like pizza and they all believe it is due to the price of
peperoni! Why don't the rest of you understand this?"

Pat in TX

So, what you are saying is... if the peperoni didnt go up in price, the
other things that did would still have made the price of that pizza go up?
So, is there a way to figure out what percentage of increased cost that rise
in peperoni cost amounts to?

If any of you have heard of the show Mythbusters, I think they should do one
on swim suits.

Have the same person do an IM in nothing, a brief, jammer, and full suit
(what ever it is called that they wear) the suits should be normal fabric,
aquablade, and the LZR. That would be a way to figure out what is the effect
of the suit.

Micheal

Old September 3rd 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_10_]

[...]

I'm saying there are too many variables to just focus on one item and
say, "Yep, that's the ONLY thing that matters!"

Pat in TX

Old September 3rd 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Micheal Artindale

"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

I understand that.... but I am curious how much that has made a difference.

Micheal

Old September 4th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Curtis

"Micheal*Artindale" wrote:

Have the same person do an IM in
nothing, a brief, jammer, and full suit
(what ever it is called that they wear) the
suits should be normal fabric, aquablade,
and the LZR. That would be a way to
figure out what is the effect of the suit.

It would be better to compare drag coefficients for each.

Old September 4th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_10_]

Have the same person do an IM in nothing, a brief, jammer, and full suit
(what ever it is called that they wear) the suits should be normal
fabric,
aquablade, and the LZR. That would be a way to figure out what is the
effect
of the suit.

No, it wouldn't. There is no control to measure the performance of the
swimmer. You can't swim a race two times exactly the same way with
exactly the same technique, energy output, weight, hydration,
attitude. In other words, each race is subjective, but the test
requires objective measurements.

Exactly. Too many variables.

Old September 4th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Robert W. McAdams

MW Smith wrote:
On Sep 3, 10:50 pm, "Micheal Artindale"
wrote:

Have the same person do an IM in nothing, a brief, jammer, and full suit
(what ever it is called that they wear) the suits should be normal fabric,
aquablade, and the LZR. That would be a way to figure out what is the effect
of the suit.

No, it wouldn't. There is no control to measure the performance of the
swimmer. You can't swim a race two times exactly the same way with
exactly the same technique, energy output, weight, hydration,
attitude. In other words, each race is subjective, but the test
requires objective measurements.

The same problem exists when you are testing drugs (the so-called
"placebo effect"), and the solution medical scientists use is to do the
experiment "double-blind" (in which neither the patient nor the doctor
who administers the treatment know whether the treatment is the drug or
a placebo). But there's no way to do that with a swimsuit, because the
swimmer is obviously going to know what swimsuit he/she is wearing.

Bob