Open water swimming

Old October 17th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Micheal Artindale

Default Open water swimming

I know I may have asked this before... but...

I was wondering, how cold of water could someone swim about 1/2 hr in
without succuming to hypothermia.

I know there are many variables to concider. I would like a general
water/air tempurature.

This would be done without a wetsuit..

Thanks,

Micheal

Old October 17th 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Duncan Heenan

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I know I may have asked this before... but...

I was wondering, how cold of water could someone swim about 1/2 hr in
without succuming to hypothermia.

I know there are many variables to concider. I would like a general
water/air tempurature.

This would be done without a wetsuit..

Thanks,

Micheal

Water below 0c freezes so that's as cold as you can swim in (slightly lower
for salt water).
People have swum for 1/2 in water that is only just liquid i.e. surrounded
by ice, but they are exceptional individuals well adapted to the cold. My
advice would be not to try it suddenly, but work up to it gradual if you are
going to do it at all. One of the real dangers of getting in to very cold
water is not Hypothermia so much as Cold Shock, which can stop the heart and
severely disrupt breathing long before hypothermia can set in.
I have swum for about 10 minutes in that temperature and hated it (New
Year's day in an outdoor swimming pool where we had to break the ice). It is
very painful, and brings on a panicky feeling. My advice would be not to do
it.
--
Duncan Heenan

Old October 17th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
congokid

In article [email protected], Micheal Artindale
writes

I was wondering, how cold of water could someone swim about 1/2 hr in
without succuming to hypothermia.

I posted a link last year about a British swimmer who swam in a lake at
the North Pole.

Here it is again:
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
http://congokid.com
Old October 18th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I know I may have asked this before... but...

I was wondering, how cold of water could someone swim about 1/2 hr in
without succuming to hypothermia.

I know there are many variables to concider. I would like a general
water/air tempurature.

This would be done without a wetsuit..

Thanks,

Micheal

There is no firm answer to your question. One can get used to swimming
in very cold water.

For example, look at http://www.polarbearclub.org/polarbears/qanda.htm -
these people begin getting into the ocean when the water temperature is
in the 60's and just keep doing it as the water temperature lowers with
the changing weather. If you look online, I'm sure you can find stories
of people, usually reporters of some sort, who've gone into the frigid
water with no prep, and it's quite common for those people to get all
sorts of sick as a result.

In addition to all that, this sort of thing varies by the person a good
deal as well, e.g., you and I, with identical preparation, might still
have answers to your question in which the water temperature differs but
5 or 10 degrees. Bodyfat is one factor but some people just do better
in the cold than others.

Yet another, related example is those Buddhist monks who can sleep
outside at 5k meters of elevation with just a single thin blanket - it
would kill me or you but they have not only adapted to high elevation
and cold temperatures, they have learned extraordinary control of their
own bodies in ways I frankly don't understand.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com