Where do I start?

Old February 8th 11, 12:16 PM
Zambaku Zambaku is offline
Junior Member

Default Where do I start?

Hello everyone. I'm a 24 year old male, about 180cm in height and weights around 90kg. I've been a couch potato all my life, and I've finaly found the energy to do some exercise, only issue is, I don't really know where I should start.

My goal is to get rid of the belly, so I was thinking that maybe I could start with doing fast walks an hour a day, combined with crunches and eating less?

And how do you kill the hunger feeling? Now that I'm eating less I'm feeling hungry all the time _
Old February 8th 11, 05:17 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Jim Janney[_2_]

Zambaku writes:

Hello everyone. I'm a 24 year old male, about 180cm in height and
weights around 90kg. I've been a couch potato all my life, and I've
finaly found the energy to do some exercise, only issue is, I don't
really know where I should start.

My goal is to get rid of the belly, so I was thinking that maybe I could
start with doing fast walks an hour a day, combined with crunches and
eating less?

And how do you kill the hunger feeling? Now that I'm eating less I'm
feeling hungry all the time _

Almost anything will work if you can stick with it: the key is to find
something that you can stick with. This may mean trying a lot of
different things, and being honest with yourself. For complete
beginners I like hindu squats and hindu pushups: they're simple and you
can do them at home with little or no investment. If you want to buy a
book Matt Furey describes them in _Combat Conditioning_, or you can just
look up descriptions on the Web.

Crunches will do nothing to shrink your belly: eating less is the key
here. For hunger pangs I like to keep a can of mixed nuts around --
this may not work for everyone. Walking is always a good thing to do.

--
Jim Janney
Old February 9th 11, 09:54 AM
Zambaku Zambaku is offline
Junior Member

Nifty! So I'll skip the crunches then, and stick to fast walking/jogging for now.
Do you think 4km once a day will be enough? I'm not sure I'll be able to pull of squats or pushup.

Also, how often should I eat? At the moment I have 2 meals, dinner and supper, mostly vegetables, trying to cut down on meat a bit. I generally don't eat breakfast, I just can't get anything down in the morning, and I eat a small handfull of nuts in the evening if I feel hungry again.
Old February 10th 11, 06:25 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Jim Janney[_2_]

Zambaku writes:

Nifty! So I'll skip the crunches then, and stick to fast walking/jogging
for now.
Do you think 4km once a day will be enough? I'm not sure I'll be able to
pull of squats or pushup.

Questions like that are almost impossible to answer. The easiest way to
find out is to try it and see. In the worst case you end up in better
condition so you can try something more vigorous.

Also, how often should I eat? At the moment I have 2 meals, dinner and
supper, mostly vegetables, trying to cut down on meat a bit. I generally
don't eat breakfast, I just can't get anything down in the morning, and
I eat a small handfull of nuts in the evening if I feel hungry again.

I've read about people who lost weight eating 6 small meals a day, and
others who lost weight eating once a day (the Warrior diet). I've never
needed to lose a significant amount of weight so my advice isn't worth
much. If I were you I'd try to eat something in the morning, even if
it's only some instant oatmeal.

--
Jim Janney
Old February 17th 11, 08:30 AM
vitalityzone vitalityzone is offline
Banned

Location: London

Hi,

I would suggest 5-6 small meals a day, it will keep your metabolism ticking over consistently throughout the day.

Make sure you eat first thing in the morning too - kick start your metabolism early doors!

Exercise wise, I would suggest 30-40 run / jog / walk, whatever you can manage 3-4 times a week. Your body needs its rest days to recover just as much as it needs exercise.

I'd be happy to design you a fitness program to get you started.

http://www.vitalityzone.co.uk/fitness/

Hope that helps!

Russell Valler

Head Trainer and Founder

www.vitalityzone.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Janney[_2_] View Post

Old February 19th 11, 08:41 AM
Fender Fender is offline
Banned

If you really want to take a start, having nothing to eat or starting intense exercise would cause a jerk to your health. all you need is to set some valid routine. call it for exercise or diet purpose!
Old February 19th 11, 03:04 PM
vitalityzone vitalityzone is offline
Banned

Location: London

Valid point.

Your body needs to ease itself into any new diet or workout program, and by diet I don't mean losing weight necessarily, just a structured program of eating healthy.

Don't completely give up everything you enjoy, chocolate, alcohol, whatever you like, just cut back on it and begin to enjoy it in moderation and if you would like, begin to ween it out of your diet.

I hope that helps, does anyone else have any opinions on this?...

Russell Valler

Head Trainer and Founder

www.vitalityzone.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Old July 20th 11, 03:51 PM
Erenrag Erenrag is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambaku View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a 24 year old male, about 180cm in height and weights around 90kg. I've been a couch potato all my life, and I've finaly found the energy to do some exercise, only issue is, I don't really know where I should start.

My goal is to get rid of the belly, so I was thinking that maybe I could start with doing fast walks an hour a day, combined with crunches and eating less?

And how do you kill the hunger feeling? Now that I'm eating less I'm feeling hungry all the time _
I would suggest you go to your local gym or find a trainer. If you try to do this on your own, it will be tough to see the results and stick with it. Find someone who can help you get informed and keep motivated. Also, give it at least 3 months before you try something else.
Remember, it takes time to see results - Good luck
Old July 21st 11, 05:31 PM
joshua wilson joshua wilson is offline
Junior Member

Location: New York City

My friend, you will be feeling hungry since you have never workout on your body, because of doing exercise your metabolism rate increases, you utilize your energy in workout so your body ask for more energy through food, that's why you feel like eating every time... i would suggest that you divide your meal in different parts and have them... it will be beneficial..
Old July 28th 11, 11:08 AM
fitscientist fitscientist is offline
Junior Member

Location: New Zealand

I'm a big fan of starting with exercise and letting the nutrition side follow.

Find something you enjoy and focus on being consistent at this point (at least 3 days of exercise for the first few weeks). Don't worry about the quality of the exercise or the duration when you're starting out, the most important thing is just to develop the 'habit' (then you can move on to bigger things).

If you do want to make changes to your diet, start with something simple (and sustainable) like smaller portions and eating out less. Diets are generally useless...It's all about sustainable lifestyle changes.

platform start vs pool deck start Beau Swimming 1 June 26th 06 02:22 AM
Start Your New Year's Resolution Early And Start Your Journey To A Longer Life!! [email protected] General 0 December 17th 05 01:47 AM
It's a start! WillBrink Weights 0 September 22nd 05 07:46 PM
WHERE TO START? [email protected] Weights 8 November 7th 04 12:21 AM
Treadmill: Start Slow, or Start Fast? Opticreep Running 6 July 27th 04 02:50 PM