A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Gym or no gym

Old February 22nd 11, 03:39 AM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Feb 2011
Default Gym or no gym

Hi Im currently a member of a small 24 hour gym in Toronto Canad. I have a very busy schedule and need a 24 hour place for flexibility. My memership is coming up for renewal and I cant decide if I should renew. I do not have room in my house for exercise equipment, however, maybe with resistance bands, jump rope, swiss ball I can manage to get in a good workout, although I would need a good regimen of either walking/jogging to get in good cardio.eing that the weather in Toronto from November through Mrch is not really condusive for outdoor exercise it might impede this plan. At the end of the day are there significant advantages of a gym that make it worth spending $500-$600 a year.

Thanks
Gersh- still undecided
Old March 26th 11, 08:53 AM

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Mar 2011

Exercise is important for health so if there is no any room at your home for exercise so you should join the gym again spent some time there not too much.
Old May 25th 11, 05:40 PM
Banned

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gersh View Post
Hi Im currently a member of a small 24 hour gym in Toronto Canad. I have a very busy schedule and need a 24 hour place for flexibility. My memership is coming up for renewal and I cant decide if I should renew. I do not have room in my house for exercise equipment, however, maybe with resistance bands, jump rope, swiss ball I can manage to get in a good workout, although I would need a good regimen of either walking/jogging to get in good cardio.eing that the weather in Toronto from November through Mrch is not really condusive for outdoor exercise it might impede this plan. At the end of the day are there significant advantages of a gym that make it worth spending $500-$600 a year.

Thanks
Gersh- still undecided
I prefer working out at home. You save the effort in going to the gym and also you can cut down on the gym expenses. There are always some good regimens posted on forums such as these and also Important video workout will really help you.
Old June 23rd 11, 09:08 AM
Banned

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Jun 2011

Hi Gersh,
If you don't want to join gym again due to whether or your busy schedule I will advice you to spend those 500/600$ on some machine or dumbbells and start exercising at home on regular basis.
Old June 24th 11, 06:04 AM
Banned

Hello friends...!
for me a gym is a necessity.....I dont have room in my house for large equipment.....I like the gym because i like the classes....I find i work out harder when everyone else is working too.....!
Old June 28th 11, 01:46 PM
Banned

Unless you have a real desire to build some muscle, I would cancel the gym.

Regular and healthy exercise can easily be attained by using your own bodyweight and some simple resistance bands.

Cardio is better to work on outside the gym anyway.
Old June 28th 11, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WibbleWam View Post
Unless you have a real desire to build some muscle, I would cancel the gym.

Regular and healthy exercise can easily be attained by using your own bodyweight and some simple resistance bands.

Cardio is better to work on outside the gym anyway.
Yeah, have to agree with wibble. You can do plenty of body weight exercises that doesn't take much space at all and its possible to get cardio in the comfort of home with no equipment. Though outdoors IMHO is more ideal and encouraging.

are you after muscle or fitness?
Old July 6th 11, 07:57 AM
Banned

First recorded activity by FitnessBanter: Jul 2011

Well I think Gym is really important to build muscles as that is possible in the proper environment which is available at Gym instead of Home . So I would prefer to gym than Home for work out .
Old July 6th 11, 08:23 AM

Actually you know friend that environment also matters.When you are in gym then you feel more energy and passion because you are in the company of those who do proper work out.Some times when people ask that at home or at gym,where we may get the better results then i always do answer that at gym.
Old July 20th 11, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gersh View Post

Thanks
Gersh- still undecided
I have done both - the home gym and the local gym. I prefer the friendliness of the local gym. It seems to help to have people that I look forward to seeing everyday. Also, having all of that equipment at your disposal is nice.