Hello, lookng for ideas for my therapy / workout plan

Old May 27th 13, 06:47 AM
abacoian abacoian is offline
Banned

Location: Florida
Default Hello, lookng for ideas for my therapy / workout plan

Hi all,
I am happy to find this forum. I'm hoping to find 1, or a few people interested in helping me by giving me ideas. I'm 36. At 15 I had a diving accident that broke my neck. At first I was completely paralyzed.

I use a power wheelchair. Years fly by so fast. Slowly I started moving. With help I can stand and with a walker and determination I can walk, not far but every step is worth it.

I sit in a wheelchair because I'm disabled, but I can move my legs and arms. I can make all of my muscles including core work, it's all there for me to use, but it's very difficult. But that's ok.

When my wife helps me walk she walks behind me just in case and I walk for about 15 minutes. A few weeks ago I was able to try an amazing walker that helps me stand safely without assistance, and I hope to have one in a few weeks. With it I will be able to stand longer and practice / exercise many things while standing. To start I aim to try standing for an hour a day, just being out of my chair and on my feet more will have amazing benefits.

But as amazing as it's going to be I know I can achieve more than just standing, we learn to crawl before we walk. I have a friend that as started helping me get in the pool and plans to help me workout with different routines. I know there will be simple things that I need to do, and difficult things that I will need to do, and if I hang in there I can be much better than I already am.

How much better, I'm not sure. Whether 2x better or 85 x better it will be worth it. I know that it is on the higher end.

But I'm looking for anyone interested in being a part of this mountain climb in my life. Just sharing your workout wisdom, motivation, tips, ideas that you think I should try, anything is what I'm seeking.

My friend and I plan to document as best we can so I can post videos and images for feedback. I thank you for listening and hope you are interested in the challenge.

Sincerely,
Ian
Old May 30th 13, 11:10 PM
Chris M. Chris M. is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacoian View Post
[...]

Ian -

Thank you for sharing your story. You are a motivation to more people than you probably realize. I am a healthy 40 year old who works out pretty regularly and reading your story reminded me of how often people take their mobility for granted myself included. I don't know that I would have a very specific recommendation for an exercise program for you but I do think you are on the right track and I wish you the best. You definitely seem like the kind of person who knows what he wants and is not afraid to go after it. I applaud your determination and leave you with some words of encouragement.....
"That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well"
Abraham Lincoln.

May these words continually inspire you to press forward until you achieve your goals. Best regards and take care.
Old May 31st 13, 03:09 AM
abacoian abacoian is offline
Banned

Location: Florida

thank you Chris, those are good words to think on. I will be trying to put a solid plan together that will produce results. I'm thinking there are fundamentals that I need to focus on. If someone was disabled and yet could work on everything possible, what should they start with. Sitting up? Then Sitting up and balancing? Learning to roll side to side? I'm looking for all and any suggestions and thoughts. Thank you.
Old May 31st 13, 04:43 AM
Chris M. Chris M. is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacoian View Post
thank you Chris, those are good words to think on. I will be trying to put a solid plan together that will produce results. I'm thinking there are fundamentals that I need to focus on. If someone was disabled and yet could work on everything possible, what should they start with. Sitting up? Then Sitting up and balancing? Learning to roll side to side? I'm looking for all and any suggestions and thoughts. Thank you.
Do you happen to have a Physical Therapist ? From what I understand they can be helpful in presenting a home exercise program that's catered to your specific needs.
Old June 2nd 13, 09:53 PM
abacoian abacoian is offline
Banned

Location: Florida

hey Chris,
I don't have a physical therapist. I've had a few over the years and I think most can't see past the chair or past the 45 minutes that I spend at their facility. The one I had most recently in my town was no different, even after I showed him I could walk. I would think that should motivate a therapist. I've sadly found that many in that industry are like most of us, just trying to make it until 5. I asked him if he thought I could try sitting on a exercise ball, he said no it was too dangerous. I bought one at walmart and my wife helped me, I can do it. And much more. I know there are some good therapists but I don't think that's the most effective plan for me.

In a power chair. Can exercise arms and legs while in chair and I want to exercise and push all of my potential. But where should I start, what do I need to get a handle on that will benefit and support all other functions and movements? And what are some simple yet effective exercises that will produce change and results? Basically, if one was to start from scratch what would be the first building block? Thank you guys.