Treadmill: Start Slow, or Start Fast?

Old July 25th 04, 04:32 PM
Opticreep

Default Treadmill: Start Slow, or Start Fast?

I run on the Treadmill for 30 minutes every morning before breakfast.
I start off slow and work my way up. Generally speaking, I jog about
5.5 mph in the first 10 minutes, then 6.0 mph in the next 10 minutes,
and finally 6.5 mph in the last 10 minutes.

Now, I'm thinking of just gradually phasing out this "slow build-up"
technique, and eventually do a constant 6.5 mph from start to finish.
Are there drawbacks to doing this? Do I really need a "warm-up"
period
before I settle into cruising speed? What about a "cool-down" period?
Old July 25th 04, 05:56 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2004-07-25, Opticreep wrote:
I run on the Treadmill for 30 minutes every morning before breakfast.
I start off slow and work my way up. Generally speaking, I jog about
5.5 mph in the first 10 minutes, then 6.0 mph in the next 10 minutes,
and finally 6.5 mph in the last 10 minutes.

Now, I'm thinking of just gradually phasing out this "slow build-up"
technique, and eventually do a constant 6.5 mph from start to finish.
Are there drawbacks to doing this? Do I really need a "warm-up"
period
before I settle into cruising speed? What about a "cool-down" period?

It's up to you -- you get to decide. When I'm running on the road, I
often do the first mile or so pretty slowly if it's the day after a tough
workout. It sometimes helps to loosen up, especially if you're stiff and
sore. I'm usually warmed up after 10 minutes. I usually don't do a
cooldown unless it's a tough workout.

On the treadmill, I'll sometimes about 0.5mph slower than the pace I use
for the rest of the workout (and I use a relatively slow pace on the treadmill
compared to my outdoor pace)

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old July 25th 04, 10:50 PM
Sam

maybe you can reduce the amount of time at 5.5 mph now that you have some
fitness developed?

Eventually one should become faster so that what was a top speed becomes
your normal speed.

om...

Old July 27th 04, 01:00 AM
SwStudio

"Opticreep" wrote in message
I run on the Treadmill for 30 minutes every morning before breakfast.
I start off slow and work my way up. Generally speaking, I jog about
5.5 mph in the first 10 minutes, then 6.0 mph in the next 10 minutes,
and finally 6.5 mph in the last 10 minutes.

Now, I'm thinking of just gradually phasing out this "slow build-up"
technique, and eventually do a constant 6.5 mph from start to finish.
Are there drawbacks to doing this? Do I really need a "warm-up"
period
before I settle into cruising speed? What about a "cool-down" period?

A favorite Kenyan-style training run is to run about an hour,
starting very slow and ending up at all-out speed. Although
what you are doing isn't quite the same, I believe it is close
in the idea behind it.

Most people like a warm up, particularly people like myself
who believe that stretching is to be done after runs, not
before. A gentle 2 - 3 miles before training speed loosens
the muscles up and gets the blood flowing better, in my opinion.

Another plus of a slow start is that you heart rate will be more
stable and "predictable" during the training period, be it a normal
everyday run or fast speedwork.

I think a cool down is not as important. Others will disagree,
and I'm not saying people should abruptly stop after a run, but
I think that walking and a gentle stretch routine is the ticket
for after, unless it was a race or very hard effort in which case
some actual cool down jogging is in order.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON)
www.allfalldown.org

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 09:32 PM
I want to start lifting weights in addition to cardio...what is super slow?? Roxy Aerobic 3 February 16th 04 04:26 AM
treadmill vs. road ?? alan m Running 18 November 19th 03 05:15 PM
rec.running FAQ, part 1 of 8 Ozzie Gontang Running 7 November 17th 03 09:30 AM
New York Report - long diggler Running 7 November 11th 03 07:29 PM