Scottish Outdoor Access Code

Old January 22nd 04, 03:27 PM
RJ Webb

Default Scottish Outdoor Access Code

You mean where the OS 50K has a picnic site marked?

4446 1844

Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland

Fancy carpark too......

Richard Webb
Old January 22nd 04, 07:03 PM
Martin Richardson

In message , Paul Rooney
writes
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:42:25 +0000, Martin Richardson
wrote:

In message , Paul Rooney
writes

I thought those brown lines (some have numbers) marked where the
access areas are.

LOL. The closer the lines are together the more access you have.

That's the idea, yes!

I am looking forward to going back to Inverlochlarig near Loch Voil and
irritating the GOML I met there by walking past his farm without fear of
breaching any rules.

I don't know the area - I'll get around to it though!
In fact, I have hardly ever had any problems while trespassing, but I
think that's because landowners seldom get out onto the hill.

I've told the tale before - however, basically I was walking along a
track very near to a public car park when the local farmer drove up and
asked me what I was up to. When I said that I had been to the top of the
hill he started to berate me because I might have caused his sheep to
jump into a stream and drown. And, hadn't I read the signs in the car
park that said I should have asked permission at the house. When I got
to the car park there were plenty of signs - however, as far as I can
remember, they were of the welcome to our hills variety and information
about the local flora and fauna. Certainly nothing about giving a wide
berth to potentially suicidal sheep or asking permission to set foot on
the estate.

And, anyway, I had had a conversation with his son that morning who was
out on the hill tending to a herd of cattle - with no suggestion made
that I shouldn't be there.

This was a few days prior to the official opening of the
Lomond/Trossachs National Park within which the incident was taking
place.

--
Martin Richardson
216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')

Old January 22nd 04, 07:10 PM
Martin Richardson

In message , Bernard Hill
writes
In article , Martin Richardson
writes
In message , Paul Rooney
writes

I thought those brown lines (some have numbers) marked where the
access areas are.

LOL. The closer the lines are together the more access you have.

I am looking forward to going back to Inverlochlarig near Loch Voil and
irritating the GOML I met there by walking past his farm without fear of
breaching any rules.

You mean where the OS 50K has a picnic site marked?

4446 1844

Yes - that's the one. It has a very nice stone shelter with a picnic
table - in case it is raining. I've already told the tale in previous
message.

What I didn't tell the farmer was that I had slept in my car in the
carpark the night before - I reckon he would have blown a gasket

Old January 22nd 04, 07:10 PM
Martin Richardson

In message , RJ Webb
wrote:

In message , Paul Rooney
writes

I thought those brown lines (some have numbers) marked where the
access areas are.

LOL. The closer the lines are together the more access you have.

I am looking forward to going back to Inverlochlarig near Loch Voil and
irritating the GOML I met there by walking past his farm without fear of
breaching any rules.

You probably were not breaching any rules the last time...

I know I wasn't - but even less so now!

Old January 22nd 04, 09:47 PM
Bernie Hughes

"druidh" wrote in message

snip
This Act will create access rights in
Scotland which will be amongst the best in Europe. It goes without saying
that this change would never have been possible without devolution.

Correct.
--

Bernie
Get back on the wagon to reply..

Old January 22nd 04, 10:06 PM
Bernie Hughes

"KRO" wrote in message

snip
I've read the link and still don't know what the law of trespass in

Scotland

There is currently no *criminal* law of trespass in Scotland, i.e. you
cannot be dragged before the courts & charged by the Crown with 'trespass' ,
like you can in Englandandwales. But there is a *civil* law of trespass,
through which a landowner can take you to court and literally claim
'damages' based on a calculation of how much damage your presence on 'his'
land has caused.

I remain a proponent of the common sense approach,

Good for you. Many landowners don't.

I simply feel the law is intruding into far too many areas of my life

already. I'll just
continue the way I have been, having said that I'll probably be following
most of the new Act anyway. By common sense and not because I've
been told to.

Very likely you will already be complying with the Act & Access Code: I'm
willing to bet that you behave in an entirely responsible way, as do the
enormous majority of hillwalkers . The importance of this piece of
legislation is not that it will tell you or I anything; but that it will
send a clear message to Landowners that their ownership of land does not
*necessarily* entail ownership of access.

The theoretical function of the Law is to protect the man in the street (or
the man on the hill) from the whimsy, greed & stupidity of the rich and
powerful. In this respect this particular piece of legislation in question
fits neatly into the Scottish legal tradition of the 'Community of the
Realm', dating back to the 13th century.

Old January 22nd 04, 11:34 PM
Paul Rooney

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:06:40 -0000, "Bernie Hughes"
wrote:

"KRO" wrote in message

snip
I've read the link and still don't know what the law of trespass in

Scotland

There is currently no *criminal* law of trespass in Scotland,

Nor in England.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com
Old January 22nd 04, 11:52 PM
RJ Webb

There is currently no *criminal* law of trespass in Scotland, i.e. you
cannot be dragged before the courts & charged by the Crown with 'trespass' ,
like you can in Englandandwales.

You cannot! Except under certain circumstances covered by Aggravated
Trespass.. and you can get done there in Scotland too...

A big fear when it came in in 1994, that deer stalking disturbance
could be criminal. Never happened thank goodness.

Richard Webb
Old January 23rd 04, 06:25 AM
Craven Birds

--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

wrote:

"KRO" wrote in message

snip
I've read the link and still don't know what the law of trespass in

Scotland

There is currently no *criminal* law of trespass in Scotland,

Nor in England.

Quite true and never has been, it's a civil matter afterall.

Old January 23rd 04, 06:27 AM
Craven Birds

"Bernie Hughes" wrote in message
"druidh" wrote in message

snip
This Act will create access rights in
Scotland which will be amongst the best in Europe. It goes without

saying
that this change would never have been possible without devolution.

Correct.

I'd wait and see, before coming to conclusions!

CB
--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Off Topic : Late Night Comedians Skewer Bush Steve Weights 181 April 8th 04 07:38 AM
Cheap Scottish Farmed Salmon Lordy Weights 2 January 19th 04 04:41 PM
Scottish walks Gordy Walking in the UK 10 November 11th 03 01:41 PM
scottish walks BJ Walking in the UK 15 November 2nd 03 09:03 PM
Scottish Midges (was 'Thanks') W. D. Grey Walking in the UK 1 July 6th 03 10:32 PM