Lightweight Sacs

Old February 19th 04, 06:21 PM
Stuart Robinson

Default Lightweight Sacs

After many years of use, I am going to replace my aged Karimor Rucksac.

I need a sac of about 65L, it needs to do double duty as a day sac and for
backpacking with a tent etc. So compression straps to make it smaller (for
use as a day sac) are needed.

I would prefer a light sac, my old Karimor weighs around 2.5Kg.

The local outdoor emporium in Cardiff (Up and Under) had a 70L sack from
Crux, designed primarily as a climbing sac, made of kevlar and fairly
light at 1.35Kg, comfortable to wear too.

Anyone got suggestions or comments on the Crux sacs, or suggestions of
likely lightweight alternatives ?

Stuart.
Old February 19th 04, 07:34 PM
Peter Clinch

Stuart Robinson wrote:

The local outdoor emporium in Cardiff (Up and Under) had a 70L sack from
Crux, designed primarily as a climbing sac, made of kevlar and fairly
light at 1.35Kg, comfortable to wear too.

Anyone got suggestions or comments on the Crux sacs, or suggestions of
likely lightweight alternatives ?

Not seen any in the flesh. Just pointing out that Lowe now do a range
of (relatively) light packs named after various bits of elementary
particles in light fabrics and roll-top closures a la Golite. Plus
there's the Golite range, of course.

No first hand experience of any of them though, so no further comment
than their existence.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old February 20th 04, 12:28 AM
Fran

ks said...

"marc" marccdimspamremovedimspamto
wrote in
message .. .
In article ,
says...
Out of interest, local to whereabouts in Cardiff? I can't place the
shop.

I used to be near the Sherman Theatre, then moved to Cowbridge Road West,
I'm not sure if it's still there, but if it is , it's close to the
Clarkes Bakery.

The shop near the Sherman Theatre was Outdoor Action in Woodville Road

For some odd values of 'near'! OK, I know it's not exactly far, but
I've never thought of describing Woodville Rd as 'near the Sherman'
before :-)

which
ceased trading many years ago.

I'm still not sure I can place it though - an outdoorsy shop in
Woodville Rd? Let's see, I moved to the area in 1984 and lived in
or around there for 3 years, when a very cold winter forced me out
of my flat when the cistern froze.

At the same time Up and Under was established
in Ninian Park Road but moved to larger premises in Cowbridge Road EAST
quite a while ago.

For a moment there I was getting very worried about my sanity, then
I saw the 'Park' in between Ninian and Road. Having lived in Ninian
Road (Roath Park) I knew darned well there were never any shops
there, let alone outdoorsy ones!

Still one of the best outdoor shops in Wales with a good website to boot
(groan).

http://www.upandunder.co.uk/

I shall investigate. The best I can do since I moved to the Rhondda
is Milletts, unless I come into Town for YHA, Blacks et al.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.
Old February 20th 04, 01:58 AM
marc

In article , [email protected]
newsgroup.thanks says...
Out of interest, local to whereabouts in Cardiff? I can't place the
shop.

I used to be near the Sherman Theatre, then moved to Cowbridge Road West,
I'm not sure if it's still there, but if it is , it's close to the
Clarkes Bakery.

The shop near the Sherman Theatre was Outdoor Action in Woodville Road which
ceased trading many years ago. At the same time Up and Under was established
in Ninian Park Road but moved to larger premises in Cowbridge Road EAST
quite a while ago.

Still one of the best outdoor shops in Wales with a good website to boot
(groan).

I defer to those with better memory's and puns.
Old February 20th 04, 09:54 AM
Peter Clinch

Aushiker wrote:

This is the domain, I would suggest of the USA manufacturers. Some
names that come to mind a

snip

But if you can't try I'd be very wary to buy. Golite are the only ones
I've seen in the UK from that list. Note that ultralight packs are
typically aimed for hikers rather than climbers or mountaineers and have
rather low levels of bombproofing, which may or may not be a problem.

Pete.

Lightweight Trainers Phil M. Running 28 March 14th 04 05:30 PM
Lightweight running shoes recommendations : to be used with orthotics takli Running 1 March 4th 04 05:50 PM
Everest Trek - Lightweight boots? Mac Walking in the UK 1 February 18th 04 11:36 AM
Argos lightweight tent length? Jim Ford Walking in the UK 6 August 29th 03 04:10 PM
lightweight rain jackets W. D. Grey Walking in the UK 1 July 14th 03 10:47 AM