Am I crazy to consider a duathlon?

Old September 9th 03, 08:56 PM
Preston Crawford

Default Am I crazy to consider a duathlon?

I'm new to all this. My wife, who just completed her first sprint tri has me
interested in pushing myself a little more physically (I'm used to biking
15-20 miles a day and 25-30 miles on the weekends). There's a duathlon
coming up soon (middle of October) in my area. 5ks on either end of the
bike. Having never really ran much I'm wondering how hard a duathlon like
this would be. I'm doing a 5k this weekend, so hopefully I'll get an idea of
how hard it is, but having no experience with distances like this off a bike
I can't really picture if someone of my fitness level could do something
like this.

Preston

Old September 9th 03, 10:57 PM
JJ Waguespack

Preston Crawford wrote:

I'm new to all this. My wife, who just completed her first sprint tri has me
interested in pushing myself a little more physically (I'm used to biking
15-20 miles a day and 25-30 miles on the weekends). There's a duathlon
coming up soon (middle of October) in my area. 5ks on either end of the
bike. Having never really ran much I'm wondering how hard a duathlon like
this would be. I'm doing a 5k this weekend, so hopefully I'll get an idea of
how hard it is, but having no experience with distances like this off a bike
I can't really picture if someone of my fitness level could do something
like this.

Preston

What have you got to lose other than the entry fee? The worst that will happen

is you will DNF. My guess is the sun will still come up the next day. Take it easy

on the first 5K, keep the bike down to training level speed, and tough out the last

5K even if you have to walk most of it. Most likely the next day you'll be saying,

"damn that was hard, but I bet I could do a lot better if I trained a little more."

JJ

Old September 10th 03, 12:32 AM
Preston Crawford

"JJ Waguespack" wrote in message

What have you got to lose other than the entry fee? The worst that will

happen

is you will DNF. My guess is the sun will still come up the next day. Take

it easy

on the first 5K, keep the bike down to training level speed, and tough out

the last

5K even if you have to walk most of it. Most likely the next day you'll be

saying,

"damn that was hard, but I bet I could do a lot better if I trained a

little more."

My problem is that I have anxiety so for me everything is a mental more than
it is a physical challenge. So the challenge isn't if I can physically do
it. I think I could. I'm 250lbs. but very muscular and down from 400lbs
because of cycling and going mostly vegetarian. My cholesterol is 130. I'm
in okay shape. So I think I could suffer through the 10k (the bike should be
a breeze). It's just convincing myself I'd live through it. :-)

Do you think 250lbs. is too big for a duathalon with little running or
distance walking experience? What kind of training would be required to get
up to speed, so to speak? Just lots of walking or running?

For reference, this is what I look like...

http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album...skateboard.jpg
http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album/images/mesmall.jpg
http://www.prestoncrawford.com/album...skateboard.jpg

I think I could do it. I just worry that I'm still too big.

Preston

Old September 10th 03, 02:05 AM
Geoff Jennings

Preston,

If you want to, you could do it. I'm a big guy too (about 240ish, down from
a high of 280ish). I finished the Catalina Island Marathon a few years ago,
with virtually no training. Learned my lessons, and trained and completed
8 more tough marathons.

Even at a slow pace, 5k isn't a super long way to run. Try it this
weekend, have fun with it. Middle of October is a ways away, you can get
some training in before then too.

My advice as an oversized runner is find a GOOD running shop, and don't
skimp on shoes. They will wear out quickly, and they don't really look
"worn out" so keep a log and replace your shoes frequently.

Geoff

Old September 10th 03, 04:38 AM
Layne Wallace

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:05:01 GMT, Geoff Jennings wrote:

If you want to, you could do it. I'm a big guy too (about 240ish, down from
a high of 280ish). I finished the Catalina Island Marathon a few years ago,
with virtually no training. Learned my lessons, and trained and completed
8 more tough marathons.

Even at a slow pace, 5k isn't a super long way to run. Try it this
weekend, have fun with it. Middle of October is a ways away, you can get
some training in before then too.

OK, I'll second this. At 215 down from 240, I've really enjoyed the du's I've
done. Fair biker - glacier slow runner and it don't matter. Enjoy it! The
first run will set up the bike ride and the bike ride will set up the second
run. Take it easy on the first run, ease into the bike ride a bit, and then
start the second run really slow but gradually speed up. While I have no
evidence to support this statement, You *can* do it. I'm slower than you ever
imagined and I've enjoyed every event I've done. Trust me, you'll finish AND
you'll beat my time. I really hate that Nike has taken this but

just do it.

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

Old September 10th 03, 01:22 PM
Old Timer

Preston,

I think your mangina is showing. Its just a day with a little exercise
in it. Get out there and do it. The people on this forum can not help
you out there, you're on your own. As was said - the sun will still
rise. Its a couple hours out of your entire life, and I'm guessing
you're tough enough to stand pretty much anything for a couple of
hours.

Do you want to die without any scars? I don't want to die with no
scars. Do it and you'll have done a duathlon. IMO, they're harder than
triathlons - all legs. Impossible? People do them all of the time.

Duathlon Doug Freese Running 3 May 3rd 04 07:25 PM
"Dazer" - weapon against crazy dogs? Tim Grecco Running 3 February 7th 04 02:38 PM
Duathlon in Lewiston, ID The Collins Family Triathalon 0 August 23rd 03 04:26 AM
Warsaw Breakfast Optimist, Duathlon 5K - 25K - 5K, Saturday September 27th, 2003, Kosciusko County Fairgrounds, Warsaw, Indiana jeff.owens Triathalon 0 August 15th 03 01:01 AM
duathlon anyone.... Marty Triathalon 1 July 28th 03 06:56 PM