Running in 90 Degrees

Old June 2nd 04, 05:02 AM
Ironic

Default Running in 90 Degrees

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg
Old June 2nd 04, 12:40 PM
Timote

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg

-of course, hydrate the day and days before the race.
-bring water in your transition bag for pre- swim
-use an electrolyte solution on the bike
-grab the electrolyte solution or water at every aid station ( you may want to
- another good trick- if they have ice @ the aid stations, take a scoop ( or
two) and put it in your hat- this helps cool down your core temp

Old June 2nd 04, 01:20 PM
BBB

One thing that helps me is to do some of your training in the same types of
temperatures (run at lunch if possible). That helps me acclimate to the
temperature and humidity.

BBB

Old June 2nd 04, 10:08 PM
Carlton Whitmore

Greg,
I just finished my first triathlon so I don't have a lot of experience, but
I've lived in Texas for 30 years and know what you're talking about.
This past Monday it made it to 100 degrees so I was dehydrated before the
race started. That was after drinking a 32oz bottle of Gatorade.
I think one of the posts suggested running during lunch, but I would also
try eating / drinking the same things you'll have in the race during those
runs. I held a GU in my hand during the entire run portion of the race
because I hadn't trained during the heat of the day and didn't know how the
GU was going to affect my stomach.
At the aid stations I grabbed one water cup and one Gatorade cup. While I
was drinking the Gatorade I splashed the water over my head.
my two cents,
Carlton.

om...

Old June 2nd 04, 10:37 PM
Wim Colgate

"Timote" wrote in message

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg

-of course, hydrate the day and days before the race.
-bring water in your transition bag for pre- swim
-use an electrolyte solution on the bike
-grab the electrolyte solution or water at every aid station ( you may

want to
- another good trick- if they have ice @ the aid stations, take a scoop

( or
two) and put it in your hat- this helps cool down your core temp

I'd suggest ice going in the shorts -- cools the femoral artery blood --
while cold water/ice on open skin can actually make surface blood vessels
contract leading to overheating!

Salt tablet and plenty of fluid -- in really hot/humid conditions, I put one
under my tongue, and when it completely disolved, I put in another...
repeat.

Wim