Newbie wants to get fit

Old October 18th 04, 08:43 PM
Eric Riehl

On 2004-10-17, Peter Webb wrote:

So by your analogy, nobody should breathe, because it can be dangerous if
done incorrectly.

This is hardly the case, you're example is being argumentive and
really unproductive.

I am still somewhat bemused by your inconsistency.

There was no inconsistency.

1. You stated you can lunge 450 pounds, which would give you a 900 pound
squat, [which would make you a world class powerlifter]. You state it was no
harder than walking up a hill.

I did these smith lunges 6 or 7 years ago when I was in better shape
than I am now. One statement was incorrect, that It was a smith
squat, because of my recollection. I was doing 450 lbs smith lunges
and 900 pound or so leg presses on the inclined leg press machine.

I did not state it was no harder than walking up a hill. I stated it
was no harder than doing "low walks", a strength exercies, up a steep
incline.

2. When challenged, you changed this to a 450 pound squat. This was either
full range of motion, or to thighs parallel, you stated it was both, despite
that they are different.

When challenged I stated it was to thighs parallel to the ground as to
what I meant by full range of motion. I realize some people like to
go farther than this and don't consider full range of motion to
be thighs parallel to the ground, that's why I said thighs parallel
to the ground to specify what I meant by full range of mototion.

3. You think that weight training is dangerous if you go to failure, with
free weights, using barbells, without a spotter.

I think there have been many injuries when control of weights is lost.
I also think that people involved in weight lifting have a relatively
large number of joint problems later in life. I don't know the reason
for this

4. You think that you should go to failure, not use machines, and use
barbells as this is the most effective way to train. As this is dangerous,
the original poster shouldn't do weight training.

I never recommended a method of weight training since I'm interested in
finding strength exercies that don't involve weights. For example, I
asked for any good suggestions on strength exercises that use resistance
bands.

5. You actually train doing squats and lunges in a smith machine (widely
regarded as a dangerous exercise), but don't seem to notice any
inconsistency in this position.

I don't actively train with weights. I've trained just twice in my
life very briefly (less than a few months) with weights. I have strong
legs mainly because I like to do anaerobic intervals on things such
as bicycles, inline skates, or stairs. In the brief intervals when
I did weight train, people who had done it for years were impressed by
the amounts of weights I could lift, but this strenth was gained
almost entirely through the activities I mentioned above.

6. You defend your position on the need for spotters in two ways. Firstly,
you state that every (any) weightlifting book says its true. Then you later
say anybody who works in a gym will tell you horrible stories if you say you
are going to weightlift without a spotter. Well, 95% of my sets are done
without a spotter, and nobody who works at my gym has ever told me that its
dangerous. They do, however, frequently comment upon my form and other

I truely hope you never have an accident when you do your activites
eithout spotters.

aspects of what I am doing. Unlike you, I haven't read every weightlifting
book, but I think your statement is kind of one of those "I can lunge 450
pounds" things - perhaps not entirely accurate.

Why so many posters on misc.fitness.weights feel the need to insult
personally anybody with whom they disagree?

You do see that some of theses statements are inconsistent, don't you?

As you can see, there was no inconsistancy in my statements.

--Eric Riehl

newbie looking for that V look Andy Dufrense Weights 11 August 10th 04 08:40 PM
Newbie Swimming journal...week 3 FFBSensei Triathalon 24 June 19th 04 01:51 AM
newbie questions Nicole Seekely Triathalon 6 April 9th 04 06:51 PM
Newbie Gains Scotty Weights 18 March 12th 04 07:35 PM
Any Long Islanders willing to help newbie cancer survivor? Tri.girl Triathalon 0 January 19th 04 04:23 PM