Cocaine & Fitness

Old December 12th 03, 07:13 AM
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Cocaine & Fitness

Been hanging out in Barnes and Noble. I go there to see iffin
I can still get picked up. Unfortunately, it's the same old swan song, guys
seem to be more interested than the girls. sigh Still, it's reassuring.

I thought it woulda been *more* of a watering hole for the the
Westchester Semi-literati, but mostly it's for old people, and
high-schoolers from dysfunctional upper-crust families looking for a place
to do their homework. Thanks god there's a Starbucks concession up at the
front, with quite an array of dark-green homework tables.
Mercifully, very few of the likes of Garrison or other MFWeighters
frequent B&N, for obvious reasons of literacy; the few that do are usually
huddled in the magazine section with muscle/girlie/fag rags.
Disproportionately noisey, of course, but their grunting and snorting blends
in pretty well with the Espresso machine.

Oh, I also go there to read bout web design and marketing, on my
little cold-weather hiatus from the machine shop--yeah, the HoloBarre lives,
altho it is somewhat comatose.
There are some very brite people out there in web design and
marketing. One of them is Ron H Williams, who wrote a series of books The
Wizard of Ads, which is a collection of essays and letters on marketing,
advertising, etc.
He writes, in Essay #20 (The Cocaine of Advertising):
Ask your physician how to feel good, and he'll look you squarely in
the eye and say, "Eat right and exercise."
Yet for every dollar spent in fitness centers, Americans spend nineteen
dollars on cocaine. The reason? Two seconds after you snort cocaine you
feel like Superman. Two weeks of diet and exercise just makes you hungry
and sore. end quote.
I thought the 19:1 ratio (if true--no sources) is spectacular, and
oh-so telling. Perhaps cocaine is why Americans are not fatter than they
already are. Appearances in health clubs notwithstanding, it is truly
amazing how few Americans actually exercise. Most of the parks here in
Westchester are empty, save for a very few people walking their dogs, or
pushing strollers. Most of the people who drive to these parks sit in their
cars.
Central Park, and its reservoir, is home to the NYC yuppie and the
NYC Road Runner's club (and Gary Null disciples). Of the couple hundred per
day that use that area, do the math: 200/2,000,000 = .0001 or .01% of the
Manhattan population.
My sense is that half the success of urban/suburban health clubs is
1) their pick-up value, 2) the availability of drugs in the locker rooms,
and 2) some strange satisfaction from exhibitionism. Just my sense.
Anyway, for those who are interested, The Cocaine of Advertising
is the chant:
SALE! SALE! SALE! SALE!
because altho initially effective, that marketing route requires steeper and
steeper discounts to generate the same effect. It is more of a trap,
perhaps, than an addiction.
Bard Press publishes these books, and you have to see the jacket
design to believe it. In fact, the whole medievil/papyrus effect is truly
amazing. Relatively cheap--$17 each. Have to admit, altho the essays are
mostly very very good, I generally rely on good note-taking (much cheaper!),
but the covers made me buy them!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Old December 12th 03, 02:45 PM
Isiafs5

Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

"Sorry, this letter is so long, but I didn't have much time to write it."

I am sure that you have a very interesting post. Please let some of us know
when it comes out in the Reader's Digest condensed version.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old December 12th 03, 07:49 PM
HomeFitnessHQ

"Isiafs5" wrote in message
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

"Sorry, this letter is so long, but I didn't have much time to write it."

I am sure that you have a very interesting post. Please let some of us

know
when it comes out in the Reader's Digest condensed version.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Don't abridge anything. The fact that someone is capable of freeform
thought in an intelligent manner is refreshing.

I enjoyed the quote about the cocaine of advertising. It's something we see
in our competitors- they drop their price points and drop the bottom out of
the market.

Consumers don't deserve to be fleeced on price, but retailers are in
business to make money- an important fact that everyone should remember.

Old December 12th 03, 10:48 PM
Proctologically Violated©®

Indeed, usually I include the preface "The impatient should skip to
........." and clearly mark "the spot".
Drop your eyes to about the middle of the rant, for the phrase
"Essay #20 (Cocaine of Advertising).
No one should be deprived.
Except for perhaps Garrison et al, who, if they tripped on a
45,000 carat diamond, would just assume it was a 45 lb plate--and then fart.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Old December 12th 03, 11:22 PM
Bob Garrison

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Indeed, usually I include the preface "The impatient should skip

........" and clearly mark "the spot".
Drop your eyes to about the middle of the rant, for the phrase
"Essay #20 (Cocaine of Advertising).
No one should be deprived.
Except for perhaps Garrison et al, who, if they tripped on a
45,000 carat diamond, would just assume it was a 45 lb plate--and then

fart.

Crawl back in your hole you dumb cocksucker.