Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

Old December 15th 04, 09:28 PM
theo

"Sandy Birrell" schreef in bericht
. ..
Phil Cook wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:13:41 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

Hee ! There's copyright on stuff like this. I'll have to call the OS now !
:-)

--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

Old December 15th 04, 09:32 PM
Lachie

sgrìobh Sandy Birrell

Tony Buckley wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote

And quite right too. Just to recap then Michael, you pronounce
Liathach how...?
:-)

Good, that's how it was meant!

Llee ach
[ie. It follows Farthing Para 1: "if in doubt, miss it out" - but
only _generally_ ].

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I remember an interview with
Sorley Maclean, the Gaelic poet, and in it he was asked how various place
names should be pronounced, Liathach was one of them.

It was the preamble to Muriel's Munro Show, it was pronounced by him, a
Skye speaker as you said. However an Islay or Harris speaker would
pronounce it quite differently.

If I remember right he
said it depended on where the gaelic speaker came from but the general
pronounciation and that used by the locals was Lia Gach, the 'g' being a
sort of stop of the tounge on the back of the pallet like a soft 'c' as in
loch.

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

--
Lachie.
Biggles: Miss Bladder, take a letter. Miss Bladder: Yes, Señor Biggles.
Biggles: Don't call me "Señor!" I'm not a Spanish person. You must call me Mr.
Biggles or Group Captain Biggles, or Mary Biggles if I'm dressed as my wife, but
never "Señor!"
Old December 15th 04, 09:56 PM
BeauGeste

spongebob wrote:
"BeauGeste" wrote

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the

Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press

the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar

Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what

the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Kewl! Shurely you mean Sgur Fooar-thuil? ;-)

Graham

You know, Grahm, I think you're right!

Incidentally I appear to have been expunged. Oops. Was it that bad?
Sorry for raving but I have long-standing traditions of being a prat to
uphold at this time of year. Apologies if necessary.

Old December 15th 04, 09:59 PM
Adrian Tupper

Peewiglet wrote in
:

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

That's one of the easier ones. Take a look at some of the peaks
in the Afric and Cannich areas.

--
Adrian
Old December 15th 04, 10:05 PM
BeauGeste

I think the reason he didn't call it "Munro bagging for purile tickers"
might have been because he could spell puerile.

Old December 15th 04, 10:07 PM
Sandy Birrell

Phil Cook wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:50:32 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

I've just had a look at the Scotish Library maps online and have found
Ben Liughach on Bartholomew's 1892 map.

How do you get to the URL to show a specific area of map Sandy?

I'm using Opera . Once you have zoomed in to the part you want you right
click on the picture, that opens a drop down menu, choose 'copy image
address' and you can paste this into another window.

In IE 6 you have to right click the picture, in the drop down menu select
properties, and in there highlite the 'Address: (URL)', right click it and
copy and then paste this into another window.

I hope that is clear

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old December 15th 04, 10:22 PM
Sandy Birrell

Lachie wrote:
sgrìobh Sandy Birrell

It was the preamble to Muriel's Munro Show, it was pronounced by him,
a Skye speaker as you said. However an Islay or Harris speaker would
pronounce it quite differently.

That's it, now I remember It has been a while since I watched those
videos, must look them out sometime.

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old December 15th 04, 10:26 PM
Roy

"BeauGeste" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think the reason he didn't call it "Munro bagging for purile tickers"
might have been because he could spell puerile.

Ah but you missed I said "your" instead of "you're"

Old December 15th 04, 10:28 PM
Sandy Birrell

Adrian Tupper wrote:
"BeauGeste" wrote in
news:1103071070.248452.280960 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Well, why not?

Actually I find some of the pronounciation guides rather pompous.
Take Cairn Gorm. Easy enough, yes? Not according to some
publications thattell you to pronounce the second word "Gorrum".
Ignore them.
The Scots pronounciation of all words ending -rm is -rrum. The
English pronounciation is acceptable to an English accent.

Ditto, Carn Dearg etc can be pronounced "Jurg" rather than the
Scots "Jerr-ag" if you're speaking with an English accent.

However there's no excuse when it comes to pronouncing all those
"-dh"s which are silent. And all those "bh"s and "mh"s which are
"v"s.

"dh" is a muffled 'g' as if you were breathing out as you say it, according
to the website below.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fiski/gaelic.html

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old December 15th 04, 11:37 PM
spongebob

"BeauGeste" wrote

Incidentally I appear to have been expunged. Oops. Was it that bad?
Sorry for raving but I have long-standing traditions of being a prat

uphold at this time of year. Apologies if necessary.

None needed. I've been waiting a long time for a decent troll to get
us going, but you seem a decent chap. Damn. C'mon, somebody do a
Thornbury......It's Christmas!

Graham