easy, cheap, good source of protein

Old August 29th 03, 12:38 AM
whit

Default easy, cheap, good source of protein

here's my latest fave way to get a high protein meal (or can be split into
two) that is tasty, quick, cheap, etc.

Take 1 can progresso chicken noodle soup

180 kcals
total fat 4g (no sat fat)
Carbs 18 g (sugar 2gm)
protein 18 g

add 1 can of Valley Fresh canned turkey meat (or chicken meat - i like the
turkey)

400 kcals
fat 7.5 gms (sat fat 2.5 gms)
carbs - 0g
protein 80 gms

this is pretty tasty, quick to eat, hot soup

gives about 100 gms of protein! 600 cals and 18 g of carbs.

if you want to make it even better, add some canned spinach (for ease) and
up the nutrients and fiber

also, you can substitute the progresso chicken with wild rice for the
chicken noodle. slightly more carbs, and less protein, but the wild rice is
tasty.

imo, take this soup with a couple of tall glasses of v-8 with lime juice and
pepper, and you are getting tons of protein, vitamins, etc. and it goes down
easy.

and no, i am not a shill for progresso or valley farms. very cheap to buy
this stuff at costco

whit

Old August 29th 03, 12:44 AM
Slider2699

Isn't the sodium content of canned soup pretty high?

Old August 29th 03, 12:49 AM
whit

"Slider2699" wrote in message
Isn't the sodium content of canned soup pretty high?

yes. i was going to mention that, but forgot. i don;'t worry about sodium,
as 1) i sweat a lot out anyways 2) i don't have hypertension

but yes, 1 can of the soup has 1.9 gms of sodium, which is 90% of the RDA
(realizing the RDA has issues, of course)

whit

Old August 29th 03, 06:20 AM
Barry Wong

whit wrote:

here's my latest fave way to get a high protein meal (or can be split into
two) that is tasty, quick, cheap, etc.

Great suggestion.

I also saw that they had 6 lbs of whey protein powder for about $20 --
is that a good deal?

Old August 30th 03, 02:46 AM
Micky Snir

Slider Wrote:
I get my protein from http://www.claytonnutrition.com . I get 40 pounds of
Optimum Nutrition whey for $90 + $7 shipping. It tastes pretty good and

the
price is right. Coach Clayton is a good guy... :-)

The website shows that a 10lb bag is $45, so that's $180 for 40 pounds. Can
you please elaborate on how to get 40 pounds for $90?

Micky.

Old August 30th 03, 04:19 AM
whit

"Micky Snir" wrote in message
Slider Wrote:
I get my protein from http://www.claytonnutrition.com . I get 40 pounds

of
Optimum Nutrition whey for $90 + $7 shipping. It tastes pretty good and

the
price is right. Coach Clayton is a good guy... :-)

The website shows that a 10lb bag is $45, so that's $180 for 40 pounds.

Can
you please elaborate on how to get 40 pounds for $90?

Micky.

frankly, optimum nutrition is a company that leaves me skeptical about the
quality of their protein, and its meeting label claims.

i haven';t seen anything definitive, but i've seen a bit of controversy
regarding it.

i don't trust them, at this point

not with my $$$

whit

Old August 30th 03, 05:27 AM
Knack

"Slider2699" wrote in message
Isn't the sodium content of canned soup pretty high?

*All* of the ingredients that he mentioned are high in sodium, especially
the chicken soup and the V8 juice. Canned foods are notoriously high in
sodium.

His meal is interestingly low cost and high protein. However, if someone was
to eat just one such meal every day, the sodium load would be prohibitively
unhealthy. OK once a week, don't you think?

Old August 30th 03, 05:29 AM
whit

"Knack" wrote in message

"whit" wrote in message

"Micky Snir" wrote in message
Slider Wrote:
[...]

I'm not a brand conscious guy. I buy value.

so do i. however, protein, while being close to being a commodity still has
quality issues.

i am skeptical that optimum meets label claims

I've been using it with very
good results, and the chocolate flavor is the best that I've tasted
(compared to that from Promax, and EAS). The chocolate is actually
delicious. Strawberry tasted OK; only the higher class (higher price)
Cytodyne CytoPro WPI tasted better.

What's the controversy about it? Simply that it can't be good if it costs
relatively less? If so, the people who are saying that are the ones who
drive our protein prices up :-(

no. i have read reports that it did not meet label claims. iow, you were
getting more crap, and less protein than advertised.

whit

I pay $25 for a 5 lb container of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein from

http://www.completesupplements.com/x...ey%20%205%20lb.
htm

Old August 30th 03, 05:50 AM
Knack

"whit" wrote in message

"Knack" wrote in message

"whit" wrote in message

"Micky Snir" wrote in message
Slider Wrote:
[...]

Hmmm... oh I'll switch if the reports indicate that protein levels exceed
20% less than stated on the label. Wish I could see those reports...

Old August 30th 03, 08:23 AM
whit

"Knack" wrote in message

"whit" wrote in message

"Knack" wrote in message

"whit" wrote in message

"Micky Snir" wrote in message
Slider Wrote:
[...]

the assay report (is that redundant) was from some weights group i was on.
can't recall if it was IOL or Supertraining or what?

whit