Marathon fuel

Old May 5th 05, 12:37 PM
Drew

Default Marathon fuel

I'm looking for diet tips on how to fuel my body for a marathon. My
heart and lungs are fine on long runs however my legs start to give up
after about 16 0r 17 miles. any tips would be greatly appreciated as my
race is on june 12th.

Old May 5th 05, 03:00 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2005-05-05, Drew wrote:
I'm looking for diet tips on how to fuel my body for a marathon. My
heart and lungs are fine on long runs however my legs start to give up
after about 16 0r 17 miles. any tips would be greatly appreciated as my
race is on june 12th.

Taking GU on the run will help.

But you shouldn't need it just to complete a long training run. I'd
suggest slowing down.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old May 5th 05, 03:56 PM
if you see kay

I'm looking for diet tips on how to fuel my body for a marathon. My
heart and lungs are fine on long runs however my legs start to give

up
after about 16 0r 17 miles. any tips would be greatly appreciated as

my
race is on june 12th.

When are you running, what are you eating before, and when?

If you're running out of gas on a first-thing-in-the-morning long run
fourteen hours after your last meal, you may try eating a little
something before heading out the door. In which case, the more easily
digested, the better, e.g. a slice or two of toast and jam and/or
sports drink.

Some ultra runners will eat fatty breakfasts before running, like a few
dozen eggs, a plate of bacon, and a large suet and lard milkshake; but
they're running 20 minute miles. IMO it's less advisable if you're
keeping any kind of pace, but it's your body and feel free to
experiment with it.

And yeah, try gels especially if you plan to use them in your race.
Some brands give me pretty severe digestive distress when running -
I'll never give Hammer Gel or Cytomax a third chance, but seem OK with
Carb Boom (the tastiest I've tried too) - something to keep in mind if
trying gels for the first time. Most of my long runs are in the city,
and I'll occasionally just stop for a muffin or doughnut if I want
something to eat.

Old May 5th 05, 04:01 PM
Miss Anne Thrope

Dear Mister Obvious........Your legs are supposed to be tired after
jogging 17 miles.

Old May 5th 05, 04:01 PM

Eat pussy. it's all a man needs.

Old May 5th 05, 04:18 PM
rick++

People here will suggest many good possibilities.
I'd just warn about timing: experiment on long runs
before the actual marathon. Marathons put extra
stress on your body particularly in the final 10K.
By that time your digestive system may have
effectively shut-down to detour blood to muscles.
Even the most benign nourishment may make you
vomit retchedly. But you can learn to eat.
That guy who is trying to reach 300 miles in a single
multi-day run mentions eating pizza on his long runs.
Something that rich and greasy is hard to digest
while running until you get used to it.

Old May 5th 05, 05:47 PM

Eat pussy. it's all a man needs.

What about beer?

Old May 5th 05, 05:48 PM

Dear Mister Obvious........Your legs are supposed to be tired after
jogging 17 miles.

Can't argue with this.

Old May 5th 05, 06:40 PM
Bumper

More info would help. How fast are you running, or how long are your
long runs? Two, three or four hours. What's the weather "probably" going
to be like for your race? What, if any, replenishment will the race be
providing.

For a 4 to 5 hour marathon nothing more than whatever 'ade drink they
proffer and maybe one or two gel packs. Most races these days will have
at least one gel stop. Anything more than that is over kill and can lead
to gastric and glycemic problems. Assuming you are using 100 calories
per mile then you should be able to store enough carbs to get you
through with a just little help.

The longer you are out there (4 hours plus) the more likely you will
need salt tablets. I have used Succeed! caps in my last three marathons
and cannot begin to tell you what a major positive difference they have
made in my performances. I feel much stronger as I get into the later
stages of the race, as opposed to before sans salt.

Regardless of what path you choose, practice it in the long runs you
have left. Of course, YMMV