Heart rate too high?

Old December 29th 03, 10:38 PM
Todd Spangler

Default Heart rate too high?

I've been jogging for a couple of years and used a stair stepper for
about ten years before that. I just got a heart rate monitor for
Christmas and tried it out today to see what my heart rate is while
jogging, as I have never checked it before while exercising. I'm 39,
5-9 and 140 lbs. On a 6 1/2 mile jog, the heart rate was mostly
between 145-155 for the first three miles, gradually climbing to 160
after about four miles. The peak was 168 running up a hill at the six
mile mark.

My question is if this is too high. I would hate to have to slow down
because this was a comfortable pace, and I've exerted myself much more
on other occasions. I'm currently taking a tricyclic antidepressant
which has increased my resting heart rate into the low 80's. It would
be in the low 70's otherwise.

Todd
Old December 30th 03, 03:48 AM
RichardMNixon, Jr.

The whole idea that there is a "maximum" heart rate is under serious debate.

Article 1 on this issue:

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2maxheartrate.asp

Article 2 on this issue:

http://www.athletictrainingservices.com/MHR.htm

For what it is worth, I am 46 and have been running since 24, and routinely
take my heart rate. For all those years I have ALWAYS been in excess of the
"maximum" heart rate.

om...

Old December 30th 03, 12:37 PM
Peter Webb

No, the articles you posted say the formula 220-age is wrong. This is hardly
news. The 220-age thing is an average; the standard deviation is quite high
(I recall a figure of 7 bpm).

You have never been in excess of your maximum heart rate, by definition. You
are just part of the 50% of the population that has a higher MHR than
predicted by the standard formula.

r.com...

Old December 30th 03, 12:43 PM
Peter Webb

I know nothing about tricyclic antidepressants, so I will simply pretend you
didn't mention that.

Hell no! If you are comfortable going higher, go higher. I'm 47, and hit the
mid 170s towards the end of every exercise session (a rate that exceeds my
theoretical age based MHR). On stress tests I have hit 186. Don't let the
HRM tell you what you should be exercising at. Work out what is comfortable
and acheivable for you, then use the HRM to be sure that you are
consistently hitting this pulse rate for the right length of time.

Old December 30th 03, 07:59 PM
Isiafs5

(Todd Spangler)
My question is if this is too high.
I'm currently taking a tricyclic antidepressant
which has increased my resting heart rate into the low 80's. It would
be in the low 70's otherwise.

This is a medical question. In my opinion, you are asking for medical advice.
Ask your doctor.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old January 3rd 04, 06:55 PM
RichardMNixon, Jr.

Precisely. You just stated what the articles said- that the maximum heart
rate is meaningless for much of the population, since, as you state it, 50%
exceed it. Therefore, what good is it?
u...

Old January 3rd 04, 08:11 PM
RichardMNixon, Jr.

See your doctor.

"RichardMNixon, Jr." wrote in message
r.com...
Precisely. You just stated what the articles said- that the maximum heart
rate is meaningless for much of the population, since, as you state it,

50%
exceed it. Therefore, what good is it?
"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
[...]

heart rate vs blood sugar [email protected] Aerobic 49 September 13th 12 05:50 AM
Weight Loss Heart Rate vs. Cardio Giganews Aerobic 25 January 1st 04 10:32 PM
heart rate? ultrasoni_c Aerobic 9 November 18th 03 09:21 PM
interval training with heart rate monitor Mana Aerobic 2 October 21st 03 01:15 PM
Heart Rate During Cardio Shaun Brown Aerobic 8 September 24th 03 04:45 PM