24 Hr Fitness "Fat Burn 1" Supplement?

Old July 5th 05, 07:15 PM

Default 24 Hr Fitness "Fat Burn 1" Supplement?

My wife and I joined 24-Hour Fitness. We didn't go for any of the
fancier programs...just a place to lift weights and do cardio.

There was a half-hour "orientation" thrown in so we went. The trainer
talked about various things. On the subject of supplements, he
recommended a multivitamin and their "Fat Burn 1" formula.
(Interestingly, he recommended avoiding the Fat Burn 2, which was twice
the price). He referred to Fat Burn 1 as a lipotropic.

The rationale he gave was that if you are significantly above weight,
this supplement will help your liver function as you change to a
healthier lifestyle. He did not say it would make us lose weight
faster...it was more of a preventative.

The product is he

http://mystore.24hourfitness.com/shop.do?cID=22&pID=308

I'm skeptical but also somewhat ignorant...opinions? 24-hr sells this
at 90 for $30...is there a cheaper product that does the same thing?

Thanks,

-S.

Old July 7th 05, 06:10 AM

Eaton Wings wrote:
Freakin' spammers.

I am NOT a spammer. I only included the link so people would know what
I was talking about. I would like peoples' opinions on this product.

Old July 7th 05, 04:49 PM
[email protected]

Eaton Wings wrote:
How would they have an opinion unless they purchased the item?
So if that's what your goal is - then yes, you were and still
are a spammer.

I have an opinion on pedometers, but I never bought one.
I have an opinion on steroids, but I never used them.

I also have an opinion about ad hominem comments. If that is
all you have to offer, they reflect on your motives, not the
motives of the OP.

Old July 7th 05, 05:18 PM
[email protected]

My wife and I joined 24-Hour Fitness. We didn't go for any of the
fancier programs...just a place to lift weights and do cardio.
There was a half-hour "orientation" thrown in so we went.

Yeah, I have been considering 24hr Fitness for the same
reason. But it seems like an expensive way to go, since we
cannot escape their "programs".

The trainer talked about various things. On the subject
of supplements, he [...] referred to Fat Burn 1 as a
lipotropic.
[...]
I'm skeptical but also somewhat ignorant...opinions?
24-hr sells this at 90 for $30...is there a cheaper
product that does the same thing?

I think you should stop at "I'm skeptical". The question
is: are such products worth anything?

I am not an expert. But like you, I am skeptical. PBS
runs a spot where a particular doctor (I forget his name)
hawks his "recipe" for a set of such supplements. Sounds
credible. And since this is PBS, "it must be legitimate",
right? Hmm ....

The fact is: there is a lot "junk science" out there that
tries to legitimatize such products. The fact is: there
is no consensus among scientists on the value (or lack of
value) of such products.

The fact is: this is a polarized subject. You will find
statements on both sides of the argument, each "proved" by
their own statistical data and "factual" knowledge of
biochemistry, not to mention endless testimonials.

I am afraid you will simply have to make up your own mind
on this one.

And maybe that is the key. There is a theory (backed up
by more "junk science") that if you believe it helps, it
will. Conversely, if you believe it does not help, it
will not. Some call it "mind over matter". I call it
a "self-fulfilling prophesy".

Good luck on your fitness program!