New treadmill user

Old July 14th 03, 10:33 PM
Taurus

Default New treadmill user

I have just started a treadmill regime and I thought that if I went faster
that I would burn calories faster but the machine always records
approximately 310 calories for 2.5 miles no matter how fast or slow I walk.
Is this how it works, I am confused?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Jim.

Old July 15th 03, 01:37 AM
Frank in-toronto

On 14 Jul 2003 17:12:32 -0400, wrote:

Taurus writes:

Taurus I have just started a treadmill regime and I thought that if I went faster
Taurus that I would burn calories faster but the machine always records
Taurus approximately 310 calories for 2.5 miles no matter how fast or slow I walk.

Yep, but it does not take as long to go 2.5 miles if you
are walking fast, so you do burn calories faster.

Taurus Is this how it works, I am confused?
Taurus Any help would be much appreciated.
Taurus Jim.

just in case you're still not sure, that's how it works.
basically, you burn the same amount of calories
per unit distance no matter how fast (or slow) you go..
of course, there are minor differences. not enough
to worry about.

but, exercise is not ONLY for caloric burn and weight loss.
there are lots of benefits. some come by running
quickly at a high heart rate. some come by going
slowly at a lower heart rate. do some searches
for lactate threshold and VO2 and read a bit.

you'll begin to see why you should go at different
rates of speed and hence, different intensity levels.
then you can begin to plan your workouts for
best effect. not just blindly jog or run
fast-as-you-can for as-lomg-as-you-can like
some folk do.
good luck...thehick

Old July 16th 03, 12:13 PM
Marie

Taurus writes:

[...]

Thanks for the useful info. Like Taurus I've just started on a
treadmill regime and hadn't realised exercising techniques etc could
be as complicated!