right shoulder pain - 'shoulder stitch' another experience for the archives!

Old February 28th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.running

Default right shoulder pain - 'shoulder stitch' another experience for the archives!

this is v. common, many have posted about it. Though there are a few
things in my case that others haven't mentioned.

I don't really expet any new answers yet, but hopefully with more info
in the archives, and further medical research, somebody will hit the
nail on the head.

from current info posted, it might be "just" a shoulder stitch . At
least, 'shoulder stitch' is the name people can use to identify the
problem in this newsgroup! It does feel like the thing one normally
gets near the abdomen. pain on movement. But this is a bit dfiferent,
THe abdomen one never spread or got worse! The right shoulder one if
running is continued, becomes a pain near the ribs. - I think on the
right side . at least in my case. I don't usually do anything as dumb
as to keep running with the right shoulder pain so I can't remember
really. It's certainly never the arm that hurts. I notice nobody else
in this newsgroup was dumb enough to try that . But, there's my
contribution!

It goes when I stop running, after a minute or less of rest.

IT's linked with level of fitness. If I don't get much exercise then
just running hard for 20 seconds causes it. since I don't get out
much, doing that pushes me to te extent that I can hear my own heart
beat. it's quite bad when that happens.

Maybe all us right shoulder 'stich' people have things in common
besides getting that.

I'm left handed

If I practice running then I can run further before teh shoulder thing
sets in. Or if I don't run and just walk quickly then i'm ok. Maybe
It's when the heart beat speeds up too much. If I push it to being able
to hear my own heart beat (pultpitations?) then I would certainly get
the shoulder pain

The gall bladder can defer pain to the right shoulder. (though i can't
see any relation to running with that one) My manure can be a bit pale
sometimes. I have heard that is a bile issue. To ddo with liver and/or
gall bladder. I've never had any serious symptoms indicating gall
bladder or liver prob though.

One thing which might help is wholegrain brown rice. I think I can
last a little longer afetr it. not sure.

None of this bothers me that much, I just don't push myself too much
whilst running. IT's easy to make sure the pain doesn't hit in. But I
bet there's some other problem 'cos when I was younger it was only
abdomen that hurt when I pushed myself too much.
I'm in my 20s.
which it seems isn't unusual for this problem.

Old March 1st 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.running

wrote:
[...]

It prob is lack of oxygen to the muscles. I got it once time taking a
dump pushing too hard. At that time my heart wasn't beating fast.
I notice this link
http://p211.ezboard.com/fhitekracing...picID=41.topic

says it helps to breath through the nose. I don't 'cos nasal allergies.
So this does follow.

Appaerntly if it was left side then there'd be a possibiltiy of a heart
prob.

I guess oxygen not getting to the muscles is a cardiovascular thing.
heart not strong enough or body not efficeint enough. yet not
considered a heart problem. Can be improved with gradual exercise.

that's my guess anyway

Old March 1st 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.running

snip

as it says here
"Without enough oxygen, muscles will go into painful spasms, according
to Mona Shangold, M.D., director of the Sports Gynecology and Women's
Life Cycle Center at Hahnemann University in Philadelphia and coauthor
of The Complete Sports Medicine Book for Women."

Old March 1st 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.running

wrote in message
oups.com...

Appaerntly if it was left side then there'd be a possibiltiy of a heart
prob.

Some people do have atypical symptoms of heart trouble (or heart attack).
It's not always the classic "crushing pain in chest, arms to chest & fall
over" scenario that we see on TV.
bj

Old March 1st 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.running

bj wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Some people do have atypical symptoms of heart trouble (or heart attack).
It's not always the classic "crushing pain in chest, arms to chest & fall
over" scenario that we see on TV.
bj

Agreed. When my dad had a heart attack he experienced zero pain. He
just collapsed.

Old March 1st 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.running

On 1 Mar 2006 07:00:24 -0800, "
wrote:

Agreed. When my dad had a heart attack he experienced zero pain. He
just collapsed.

My brother had complete blockage of three arterys, and 99% in the
others, and had no symptoms other than being tired a lot.
yawn well I'm off for my nap...