DB routines for a teen boy?

Old April 16th 06, 08:02 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights

Default DB routines for a teen boy?

I'm giving my 63kg 15yr old nephew two dumbells with 55kg of plates.
He trains in Judo on Tues/Thurs (for a few months now) does nothing
else and has never used weights. He wants to get stronger, and getting
some grace & flexibility in squatting down would be great. He's got a
bit of pudge around his gut, but looks OK and isn't really in bad
shape. Can anyone suggest some routines or exercises that could be
useful for him?

I think maybe 'short, safe, compound, functional strength' are the key
ideas. Similar moves as a wrestler might use, if that's any help. I
was going to show him things like turkish getup, but I'd guess its a
bit of a precarious dangerous movement, and I'd hate for him to hurt
himself. I thought I'd look around for some expert opinions rather than
just provide my own ideas, as I haven't used dumbells much myself.
I've found Krista's page which has two great routines I'll be giving
him ( http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displa...le.php?aid=144 ) though any
other ideas would be welcomed.

thanks,
Charlie

Old April 17th 06, 04:04 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

Charlie,
One thing that I do sometimes with dumbells is squat down while the
dumbells are on the floors to pick them up. From this position I raise
up and perform a clean and then press them over my head. After the
lift the dumbells go back to the floor and the lift starts again.
After about ten of these I am really sweating and this exercise uses a
lot of muscles (legs, back, arms, triceps, upper chest, shoulders,
....). I would say that the lift would translate well to strength that
could be used in judo. He could also do dumbell rows. I like doing
these with a substantial amount of weight so that my arms and a large
portion of my back are used. Overhead press is an obvious choice also.
Reverse curls are more useful for martial arts than standard curls in
my opinion. It is always important to use good form and lift in a
somewhat controlled manner to prevent injury; some explosion is also
good though, especially for martial arts training. I will post again
if anything else comes to mind, I got to go.

Good luck,
James

Old April 17th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You may wish to read this article - although it focuses on kettlebells,
the author talks about the broader issue of resistance training for
martial artists.

http://www.kbnj.com/KettlebellsForMartialArtists.htm

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Looking for Weight Training routines sLY Weights 1 May 21st 05 04:26 AM
Calf Routines: Need Help Jeff Weights 6 April 21st 05 11:55 PM
Workout Routines...... WaLDo Michael Weights 9 August 1st 04 07:52 AM
24 hour pumping routines Will Weights 5 April 23rd 04 08:33 PM
REQ: Workout Routines For Bowflex / CrossBow Weights 10 January 19th 04 08:06 PM