TR - Meall Ghaordaidh (or the race to the pub)

Old June 4th 06, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default TR - Meall Ghaordaidh (or the race to the pub)

Nothing more depressing than having to do overtime on a saturday when
the weather in good.

But then home for 2pm and made a quick decision to go walking and stay
in Killin overnight.

B&B owners told us that food was served in most places to 9.....

Arrived at the small layby near Duncroisk at 5.30 and followed a
tractor/landrover track for a bit before slogging up the hill. Fiona had
one eye on the pub and was booting it up the hill at a pace even I was
struggling.

After a stiff climb on grass.heather you get a few 100m of respite
before the final slog to the summit commences. Nice views of the cliffs
near the summit.

Unsurprisingly we had the summit to ourselves. A quick beef jerky stop
and then back down the same route. Back at the car at 7.45 and
comfortably back for food at Killin.

Cant remember the pub name but it does nice food (Its on your right just
before the bridge if coming in from A85) unfortunately due to a dispute
between old and new owner they cant sell alcohol (( And I was looking
forward to a few ales. Real ale satisfaction can be found at the hotel
on your left on the other side of the village just past the 40 sign.

--
Mike
Some pictures of the Scottish highlands here http://www.prog99.com
Old June 5th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"Mike" wrote in message
. uk...
Nothing more depressing than having to do overtime on a saturday when the weather in
good.

I was up Ben Heasgarnach, cliud and cold above 2000ft.

Nice panini in the Capercaille.

Nick

Old June 5th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Nick (Scots) wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
. uk...
Nothing more depressing than having to do overtime on a saturday when the weather in
good.

I was up Ben Heasgarnach, cliud and cold above 2000ft.

So I heard from people we met coming off the hill. For once working on a
saturday morning had its benefits other than financing more holidays.

Nice panini in the Capercaille.

Will keep that in mind