No more gym :(

Old October 21st 06, 10:32 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
rev

Default No more gym :(

After almost 2.5 years of lifting and achieving results beyond my
wildest expectations out of the blue they discover that this 55 year old
has (probably) a medulloblasoma. So no point in gym. And now I guess I
can eat what I want when I want.

Forty eight hours ago I had never heard of the word now I know it is a
malignant brain tumour. CT scan is pretty definite but the MRI will be
done in 48 hours and the neurosurgeons can work out some prognosis.

Anyhow, happy lifting, debating, laughing, whatever to this group that I
have followed closely for 2 odd years. It has been fun, most of the time.

--
Bob Volkmer
Old October 21st 06, 11:30 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Charles

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:02:37 +0930, rev wrote:

After almost 2.5 years of lifting and achieving results beyond my
wildest expectations out of the blue they discover that this 55 year old
has (probably) a medulloblasoma. So no point in gym. And now I guess I
can eat what I want when I want.

Forty eight hours ago I had never heard of the word now I know it is a
malignant brain tumour. CT scan is pretty definite but the MRI will be
done in 48 hours and the neurosurgeons can work out some prognosis.

Anyhow, happy lifting, debating, laughing, whatever to this group that I
have followed closely for 2 odd years. It has been fun, most of the time.

Sorry to hear that Bob, it's something we all dread and it can't be
very nice to get the bad news.

Still, while there's life there's hope, and let's hold on to the
prospect of an optimistic prognosis.

My advice, even if the news is not good, is to carry on exercising as
long as you can, and keep in touch with your chums here. We'll all be
interested to know how you're getting on.

I won't suggest my usual flippant "Have a great weekend", as I suspect
it may well not be appropriate, but do the best you can Bob and stay
positive.

All the best mate; chin up! ;o)
Old October 21st 06, 11:45 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bully

Charles wrote:
[...]

For once, I agree with Charles. Keep the training going. You need something
positive in your life and there is nothing more positive and rewarding the
moving heavy lumps of iron !

I won't suggest my usual flippant "Have a great weekend", as I suspect
it may well not be appropriate, but do the best you can Bob and stay
positive.

All the best mate; chin up! ;o)

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Old October 21st 06, 03:13 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
JMW

rev wrote:

After almost 2.5 years of lifting and achieving results beyond my
wildest expectations out of the blue they discover that this 55 year old
has (probably) a medulloblasoma. So no point in gym. And now I guess I
can eat what I want when I want.

Forty eight hours ago I had never heard of the word now I know it is a
malignant brain tumour. CT scan is pretty definite but the MRI will be
done in 48 hours and the neurosurgeons can work out some prognosis.

Anyhow, happy lifting, debating, laughing, whatever to this group that I
have followed closely for 2 odd years. It has been fun, most of the time.

If you enjoy reading and posting here, then stay. It will be good
medicine.
Old October 21st 06, 05:43 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
ranieri

"rev" wrote in message
After almost 2.5 years of lifting and achieving results beyond my wildest
expectations out of the blue they discover that this 55 year old has
(probably) a medulloblasoma. So no point in gym. And now I guess I can
eat what I want when I want.

Forty eight hours ago I had never heard of the word now I know it is a
malignant brain tumour. CT scan is pretty definite but the MRI will be
done in 48 hours and the neurosurgeons can work out some prognosis.

Anyhow, happy lifting, debating, laughing, whatever to this group that I
have followed closely for 2 odd years. It has been fun, most of the time.

I read your post early this morning and have been thinking about it ever
since. When we're involved in our day to day it's easy to forget that life
can turn on a dime. I wish I had some sage words of hope and consolation,
but I'm afraid anything I say would be presumptuous - never having been in
your situation..

I hope you stick around, though. (Both the NG and the current plane of
existence).

Jim

Old October 21st 06, 06:48 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides

"ranieri" not now wrote in message
. ..

"rev" wrote in message
[...]

To Bob, you, me, and the rest of us - Carpe Diem.

I hope you stick around, though. (Both the NG and the current plane of
existence).

Ditto. Hang in there, Bob. Don't assume lifting is over, either. Get
several opinions on your best course of action.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old October 21st 06, 07:33 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt James

rev wrote:
After almost 2.5 years of lifting and achieving results beyond my
wildest expectations out of the blue

What was your initial reason for going for a visit? I had a simple sore
throat before the evil "they" told me I had a pleomorphic whatever it
is.

Someone close to me went in to ask about numbness in their one hand and
left with a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.

Those healing *******s!

they discover that this 55 year old has (probably)

"PROBABLY" but maybe not. Like my grandfather (see below), I'd cling to
the probably, Bob.

a medulloblasoma. So no point in gym.

If you've got friends at the gym then there's a point in the gym. If
you enjoy moving heavy lumps of iron around as Bully described then
there's a point in the gym.

And now I guess I can eat what I want when I want.

Regardless of length of life, I suspect that we all live only once
(although I have at least one friend who disputes that idea), so, yes,
I'd definitely recommend you follow that philosophy of dieting. With
that in mind...

"Waitress, more pie for the entire MFW contingent, please. And seat
Williams by the fern, okay? He loves ferns! At the gym. At the diner.
At work. Do you have fern pie, waitress? And double dessert for our
friend, Bob, thank you. He's had what I'd certainly call a bad day."

Forty eight hours ago I had never heard of the word now I know it is a
malignant brain tumour. CT scan is pretty definite but the MRI will be
done in 48 hours and the neurosurgeons can work out some prognosis.

I hope you'll share that news, Bob.

Anyhow, happy lifting, debating, laughing, whatever to this group that I
have followed closely for 2 odd years. It has been fun, most of the time.

My grandfather died about one year after being given six months to live
by a doctor. He was about 60 when he was diagnosed with leukemia. My
grandmother told me more than once that, upon hearing the prognosis, my
grandpa told the doc, "You go to hell!"

I'm certainly not telling you to tell your doctor to go to hell, but
I'll guess that it's not time to throw in the towel either.

And I'll gladly echo every other positive comment in reply to your
post, Bob. I definitely hold to the adage that laughter is the best
medicine. It may not cure us, but it might help us enjoy the moment.

Again, I look forward to reading updates from you, Bob.

Bob Volkmer

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

Old October 22nd 06, 07:44 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
[email protected]

Wow Bob...look at all the support you have here!! I wouldn't give it
up and I ditto all the suggestions!

With one BIG addition....PRAY!!

Many blessings!

On Oct 21, 2:33 pm, "Curt James" wrote:
rev wrote:
After almost 2.5 years of lifting and achieving results beyond my
wildest expectations out of the blueWhat was your initial reason for going for a visit? I had a simple sore

throat before the evil "they" told me I had a pleomorphic whatever it
is.

Someone close to me went in to ask about numbness in their one hand and
left with a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.

Those healing *******s!

they discover that this 55 year old has (probably)"PROBABLY" but maybe not. Like my grandfather (see below), I'd cling to

the probably, Bob.

a medulloblasoma. So no point in gym.If you've got friends at the gym then there's a point in the gym. If

you enjoy moving heavy lumps of iron around as Bully described then
there's a point in the gym.

And now I guess I can eat what I want when I want.Regardless of length of life, I suspect that we all live only once

(although I have at least one friend who disputes that idea), so, yes,
I'd definitely recommend you follow that philosophy of dieting. With
that in mind...

"Waitress, more pie for the entire MFW contingent, please. And seat
Williams by the fern, okay? He loves ferns! At the gym. At the diner.
At work. Do you have fern pie, waitress? And double dessert for our
friend, Bob, thank you. He's had what I'd certainly call a bad day."

Forty eight hours ago I had never heard of the word now I know it is a
malignant brain tumour. CT scan is pretty definite but the MRI will be
done in 48 hours and the neurosurgeons can work out some prognosis.I hope you'll share that news, Bob.

Anyhow, happy lifting, debating, laughing, whatever to this group that I
have followed closely for 2 odd years. It has been fun, most of the time.My grandfather died about one year after being given six months to live