Very unusual WR for Lenton

Old April 4th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
David W

Default Very unusual WR for Lenton

Libby Lenton last night broke Britta Steffen's 100m freestyle WR of 53.30s,
swimming it in 52.99s. She was swimming in the mixed 4 x 100m freestyle relay in
the "Duel In The Pool", a fun event between Australia and the US at Sydney's
Olympic pool.

There were two men and two women on each team, and Lenton swam the first leg
against Michael Phelps (who of course beat her easily). At first the
commentators thought the record wouldn't count, but Swimming Australia spoke to
the chairman of the FINA technical committee, who spoke to two FINA bureau
members staying with him in Tasmania (on holiday I think they said), and they
said that as long as it was a genuine race and not a deliberate attempt to pace
Lenton, they could not see why it should not be ratified. It is still yet to be
ratified, though.

Old April 4th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
[email protected]

The problem I see, is that swimming with Phelps at your side is like
swimming in the wake of a speed boat. Probably, someone may say,
Lenton was surfing in the wave produced by Phelps.

Old April 4th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
David W

wrote in message
ps.com...
The problem I see, is that swimming with Phelps at your side is like
swimming in the wake of a speed boat. Probably, someone may say,
Lenton was surfing in the wave produced by Phelps.

Yes, that might even explain how she went so fast, but is there a rule against
it? Maybe there should be, since in normal circumstances if you break a WR you
are necessarily at the front and unable to ride such a wave, but if there isn't
then it might be unfair but it will still count. All the reports I've seen are
suggesting that pacing is the only impediment to ratification. Let's see if the
Germans kick up a fuss.

Old April 4th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 11:15 pm, "David W" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

The problem I see, is that swimming with Phelps at your side is like
swimming in the wake of a speed boat. Probably, someone may say,
Lenton was surfing in the wave produced by Phelps.

Yes, that might even explain how she went so fast, but is there a rule against
it? Maybe there should be, since in normal circumstances if you break a WR you
are necessarily at the front and unable to ride such a wave, but if there isn't
then it might be unfair but it will still count. All the reports I've seen are
suggesting that pacing is the only impediment to ratification. Let's see if the
Germans kick up a fuss.

Craig Lord certainly appears to be somewhat irked at the prospect, at
least judging by this rather unnecessary piece by him published on
swimnews.com.

http://www.swimnews.com/News/display...on=get&id=5236

Old April 4th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
David W

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 3, 11:15 pm, "David W" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Yes, that was unnecessary. He seems to discount any possible influence of
Phelps's presence in the next lane on her time and uses the time alone in his
argument. Also, Lenton is a recent world-record holder in this event, so I don't
think anyone would be shocked that she was capable of that time, even without
any assistance from the next lane. Phelps broke a couple of WRs by more than a
second last week.

Old April 5th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Curtis

"David*W" wrote in part:

It probably isn't even well understood
how much assistance you get from
swimming in another swimmer's wake.

It's called "drafting," and it is well understood.

Old April 5th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Mark P

David W wrote:
"Mark P" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
The problem I see, is that swimming with Phelps at your side is like
swimming in the wake of a speed boat. Probably, someone may say,
Lenton was surfing in the wave produced by Phelps.

Agreed. I find it hard to believe that the record will be ratified
considering this.

Although I said in another post that a WR breaker is usually in front and unable
to catch a wave, it's not always the case. There was one Olympic event that an
Australian (Duncan Armstrong?) won in a surprise by sitting on the lane rope
just behind the leader for a significant part of the race and, being the
fresher, going past him to win. I don't remember if he broke the WR, but if he
had it certainly would have stood. Records are not disallowed for that reason,
so it's hard to see how FINA could reject Lenton's. It probably isn't even well
understood how much assistance you get from swimming in another swimmer's wake.

David

Indeed it would have stood had he set a WR, but the difference
(obviously) is that Phelps is fast enough to lead Lenton the whole way
and man enough, so to speak, not to deprive her of the female WR.
Imagine if one day scientists develop sentient motorboats who are
permitted to compete in FINA events...

While the current situation may be unprecedented and thus not outlawed
by current rules or practice, I for one would be surprised if this were
allowed to stand.
Old April 5th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
David W

"Steve Curtis" wrote in message
"David W" wrote in part:

It probably isn't even well understood
how much assistance you get from
swimming in another swimmer's wake.

It's called "drafting," and it is well understood.

Note "how much assistance you get". So it can be calculated how much Lenton's
time came down by being in Phelps's wake?

An Unusual Approach to the 100-Yard Dash javawizard Running 2 January 27th 07 06:41 AM
unusual fins - broad blade on shin & top of foot? [email protected] Swimming 2 December 29th 05 12:46 AM
Unusual weight exercises? Al Weights 17 August 6th 05 09:15 AM
unusual low carb diet questions [email protected] Weights 15 March 23rd 05 12:41 PM
Genetic and Unusual Human Abilities Lee Michaels Weights 25 December 30th 03 02:16 AM