unusual kick today

Old January 29th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_3_]

Default unusual kick today

I saw a young woman, about 25 or so, swimming front crawl today. She had all
the pool toys, too, so I thought "this must be an experienced swimmer."
Well, everytime she would kick her left leg, it would wind up under her
right leg. This was enough to keep me from being bored with my laps, so I
started observing. It seemed to me that when she kicked her left leg, it
bent at the knee so much that her left foot and ankle wound up under her
right ankle. The two ankles would clang together.

So, after I finished my laps, she was standing in the next lane getting
ready to use some of her pool toys. I said, "Did you know that you are
crossing your legs when you kick?" and she said that she did not know it and
that no one had ever mentioned it to her. Then, she went on to tell me that
she has been swimming since she was a small child and even swam
competitively in high school and, "No one ever said anything about it."

That got me to thinking....would you as a swim coach accept this sort of
kick? Would you try to get her to work out of it? What sort of disadvantage
would this kick be in a competitive situation? Would it even matter at all?
On the other hand, I don't see any world class swimmers who clang their
ankles together when they swim the crawl....just musing on a day so windy
that the trees are making noises.

Pat in Tx

Old January 29th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
_

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:48:48 -0600, Pat wrote:

That got me to thinking....would you as a swim coach accept this sort of
kick? Would you try to get her to work out of it? What sort of disadvantage
would this kick be in a competitive situation? Would it even matter at all?
On the other hand, I don't see any world class swimmers who clang their
ankles together when they swim the crawl....just musing on a day so windy
that the trees are making noises.

"Crossover" is one of the standard varieties of kick in Front Crawl.
Usually seen in distance swimmers - but not always: Jonty Skinner.
Old January 29th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_3_]

"Crossover" is one of the standard varieties of kick in Front Crawl.
Usually seen in distance swimmers - but not always: Jonty Skinner.

I don't get your meaning yet. Wouldn't a true crossover kick involve both
legs? In her kick, her left leg bent at the knee and her left ankle went to
the right, under her right ankle. Her right leg kicked normally.

Old January 29th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Pat[_3_]

"Crossover" is one of the standard varieties of kick in Front Crawl.
Usually seen in distance swimmers - but not always: Jonty Skinner.

Okay, I googled it and in the examples I saw, the left ankle went under the
right ankle and then the opposite happened on the next stroke. I don't think
she was doing this on purpose, because when I asked her if she knew that her
legs were crossing at the ankles, she told me she did not know it...and that
nobody had ever mentioned it to her. Also, her left knee bent a great deal,
and the examples didn't show much bend of the knee.

Oh well, I learned a new kick today! Thanks for your input or I wouldn't
have googled it....

Pat in TX

Old January 30th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Duncan Heenan

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Was she breathing bilaterally , or one sided?

Old January 30th 08, 08:08 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Duncan Heenan

"_" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:48:48 -0600, Pat wrote:

That got me to thinking....would you as a swim coach accept this sort of
kick? Would you try to get her to work out of it? What sort of
disadvantage
would this kick be in a competitive situation? Would it even matter at
all?
On the other hand, I don't see any world class swimmers who clang their
ankles together when they swim the crawl....just musing on a day so windy
that the trees are making noises.

"Crossover" is one of the standard varieties of kick in Front Crawl.
Usually seen in distance swimmers - but not always: Jonty Skinner.

I agree, it sounds like a personal variation on the 'scissor kick' which I
often see (and do myself, though I accpet it is a bad habit). I expect it
comes from being self taught early in life.
I have seen some surprisingly good distance swimmers use it though,
including the great Gerry Forsberg who in his book 'Modern Long Distance
Swimming' (written 50 years ago!) relates an amusing incident. The day after
Gerry set his English Channel record in the 1950's he was in London, and to
losten up, he went for a swim in the pool at his Club in Piccadilly (the RAC
club). Another swimmer came up to him afterwards and said to him " You know
old chap, if you could just get rid of that scissor kick you could be quite
a reasonable swimmer". Gerry just thanked him for his advice.

Old January 30th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
_

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:08:35 -0000, Duncan Heenan wrote:

"_" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

He was an officer (Cmdr, RN) and a gentleman (O.B.E.). What else would you
expect?