Recommendations for cheap home cardio

Old January 14th 04, 11:59 PM
Brian Link

Default Recommendations for cheap home cardio

I love lifting, and it's been very good to me. I want to up my cardio
though, and I hate cardio. For some reason, a trip to the gym to do
cardio always ends up with me changing my mind.

So I've been looking at various gear to work at home. Winters are long
in Minnesota, otherwise I think I'd prolly head out and just start
hiking.

The reason I thought to ask this is cause one of those Tony Little
Gazelle infomercials is on TV. I've looked at bikes and treadmills,
and it seems like entry-level for a decent machine is $1k or more. I'm
not into buying stuff from infomercials (I was saved by this group
from getting a Bowflex).

Does anyone have suggestions on home cardio? I'm moderately fit from
lifting, but my stamina is not up to those who spend time on the
bikes/treadmills/pavement.

Thanks for any info.

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Mother, people only invite you to dinner for
three reasons: to sell you vitamins, to drug you
and take unpleasant snapshots, or to convert you
to their hideous farming religion."
Old January 15th 04, 12:04 AM

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

best cardio exercise I know is stool stepping while holding dumbells - you
can vary the height of the stool and increase the weight of dumbells as you
get fitter - you can do various dumbell exercises as you are stepping -
cost you next to nothing

Old January 15th 04, 04:01 AM
Brux Brule

"David" wrote in message
u...

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

Must be a bitch to clean off your shoes when you step *into* the stool.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Brux Brule (hard core & old school)

"Quit your whining, shut up and train."

Old January 15th 04, 04:24 AM
Kevin J. Coolidge

jump rope does it for me. I do a couple rounds of 45 secs 15 off, or maybe 1
min. on 30 off etc etc. I also like to do the same with a heavy bag. Cheap
and way more effective than a treadmill.

Old January 15th 04, 06:19 AM
Dally

Brian Link wrote:

The reason I thought to ask this is cause one of those Tony Little
Gazelle infomercials is on TV.

Don't buy that. It's only useful for people in terrible shape. You
just can't get a decent heart rate on it because it has so little
resistance.

I've looked at bikes and treadmills,
and it seems like entry-level for a decent machine is $1k or more.

This is certainly true for a decent treadmill. You can get a decent
bike for less, but you can also get a really nice NordicTrack for around
$600 (and much less if you find one used, which I've always done.) A
NordicTrack really gets the heart-rate up with the independent arm
action. It takes a little bit of coordination and a really loud TV, but
it has been my mainstay indoor cardio for a dozen years.

My cross-training indoor cardio comes from www.collagevideo.com. We've
been enjoying doing the Billy Banks Tae Bo series at home as a family,
and I've done quite a few step aerobics tapes and circuit training tapes
in my time.

At the gym I mostly run on a treadmill, but I also use the elliptical
trainer, concept II rowing machine and recumbant bike. I love the
treadmill, but it's around $3K for the machine I like so I just use it
at the gym. I don't like any of the other equipment near enough to buy.

Dally

Old January 15th 04, 08:01 AM
Nash

Brian Link wrote in message . ..
[...]

If you're married.....

Old January 15th 04, 09:45 AM
Dirk

"Brian Link" wrote in message
I love lifting, and it's been very good to me. I want to up my cardio
though, and I hate cardio. For some reason, a trip to the gym to do
cardio always ends up with me changing my mind.

So I've been looking at various gear to work at home. Winters are long
in Minnesota, otherwise I think I'd prolly head out and just start
hiking.

Have you tried cross country skiing? It doesn't necessarily qualify as
"cheap" if you go for high-end gear, but a decent entry level setup
(skis/boots/bindings/poles) can be had for around $250, and of course you
can always rent the gear at a ski center first to see if you like it. A
lesson or two is also advisable.

In that same vein, I'd second Dally's comments about Nordic Trak ski
trainers. They're dirt cheap, used, and about as efficient as a cardio
workout can get.

Does anyone have suggestions on home cardio? I'm moderately fit from
lifting, but my stamina is not up to those who spend time on the
bikes/treadmills/pavement.

get hooked on XC skiing this winter, and your stamina will put those gym
treadmill joggers to shame.

--
Dirk

to email reverse [email protected]_ad

Old January 15th 04, 11:14 AM
Helgi Briem

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:59:21 -0600, Brian Link wrote:

I love lifting, and it's been very good to me. I want to up my cardio
though, and I hate cardio. For some reason, a trip to the gym to do
cardio always ends up with me changing my mind.

Walk or run to the gym to do cardio, then change
your mind and walk or run back.
Old January 15th 04, 11:17 AM
Sooky Grumper

Dally wrote:
Brian Link wrote:

The reason I thought to ask this is cause one of those Tony Little
Gazelle infomercials is on TV.

Don't buy that. It's only useful for people in terrible shape. You
just can't get a decent heart rate on it because it has so little
resistance.

I've looked at bikes and treadmills,
and it seems like entry-level for a decent machine is $1k or more.

This is certainly true for a decent treadmill. You can get a decent
bike for less, but you can also get a really nice NordicTrack for around
$600 (and much less if you find one used, which I've always done.) A
NordicTrack really gets the heart-rate up with the independent arm
action. It takes a little bit of coordination and a really loud TV, but
it has been my mainstay indoor cardio for a dozen years.

Doesn't your TV have a headphone jack?

how much cardio? Robin General 2 February 22nd 04 06:56 AM
Recommendations for small home gym Top Spin Weights 61 January 9th 04 04:49 AM
questions on home gym systems, hope this is the right place B Walker Weights 53 December 20th 03 02:53 PM
Safety Squat Bar for Home Gym - recommendations? Mark Hartman Weights 37 October 29th 03 08:52 AM
Cardio on home gym? Wendy Marsden Weights 3 September 16th 03 03:31 AM