free style-- question regarding kick

Old October 14th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

Default free style-- question regarding kick

"KOS" wrote in message
I have been swimming for 5 years. Mainly just freestyle.
I really dont kick that much at all and would like to improve the
kick.

What are the actual benefits of having a kick with freestyle? will it
help with rotation? how about endurance... Any basic ideas on how to
incorporate a kick?? Nothing too complilcated.
Thanks
KOS

A good thing to know would be: how's your kick now? E.g., if you take a
kickboard and do a length, can you actually move yourself forward in the
water without undo effort? If you can't, then I'd work on your kick,
but if you can, then the benefits are likely to be small.

I ask because when I started swimming, my kick basically didn't move me
forward in the water. It took a lot of work to turn it into something
that was not a liability in my stroke, even if it still isn't much of an
asset.

Ankle flexibility is a big deal - if you don't have much, work on
acquiring more but do it slowly and carefully because overstretched
ankles are their own source of headaches. Although people with big feet
do, as one might suspect, benefit the most, I have a friend who's short
(5'5" or so) and has appropriately small-sized feet (size 6) but he has
very flexible ankles and a fantastic kick.

Just my opinion.

-S-

Old October 14th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Tony[_5_]

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
"KOS" wrote in message
[...]

Ok Steve,

any suggestions for working on ankle flexibilty? I'm 6'1" tall with UK size
11 feet, but my ankles are not very flexible. When I use a kickboard my
forward progress is quite slow.

Regards

Tony

Old October 14th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Micheal Artindale

"KOS" wrote in message
[...]

2 ways:

on your back, lie down, and try touching your toes to the floor.

On your front, lie down, try to flatten out your feet.

Standing yo, put your toes on a wall, and lean in

Micheal

Old October 15th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

"KOS" wrote in message
[...]

1) Try to point your toes while you swim, but try to think of it as
relaxing the muscles that prevent your toes from being pointed as
opposed to muscling it, IOW, try to relax the muscles on the top of your
foot and ankle rather than work the ones on the bottom. It's a subtle
difference that can help in the long run, but don't be surprised if you
get foot cramps either way until you get used to it.

2) The classic advice for this is to simply sit on your feet so that
your bodyweight stretches out your ankles.

3) If you Google

ankle flexibility exercises

you'll find plenty, including this video clip

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/3959/dr...exercises.html

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old October 15th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Robert W. McAdams

Tony wrote:

any suggestions for working on ankle flexibilty? I'm 6'1" tall with UK size
11 feet, but my ankles are not very flexible. When I use a kickboard my
forward progress is quite slow.

I've found that practicing with fins helps to improve ankle flexibility.
Slim Fins were designed especially for this purpose:

http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_...im_product.htm

If you do this, make sure that you use the fins for only part of each
practice, since you don't want to become dependent on them.

Bob

Old October 15th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

"MW Smith" wrote in message
On Oct 15, 5:42 am, "Robert W. McAdams" wrote:
I've found that practicing with fins helps to improve ankle
flexibility.
Slim Fins were designed especially for this purpose:

http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_...im_product.htm

If you do this, make sure that you use the fins for only part of each
practice, since you don't want to become dependent on them.

Using fins won't make you more dependent on using fins. Using fins
makes your legs stronger.

It can be addictive. If you use it to work less hard at your kick and
are content with that amount of kick, it's a problem. For many, it's
possible to work less hard and still get a better kick using fins, and
that's the part that gets addictive.

-S-

Old October 15th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Madelaine

MW Smith wrote:
On Oct 15, 2:29 pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"MW Smith" wrote in message
Using fins won't make you more dependent on using fins. Using fins
makes your legs stronger.

It can be addictive. If you use it to work less hard at your kick and
are content with that amount of kick, it's a problem. For many, it's
possible to work less hard and still get a better kick using fins, and
that's the part that gets addictive.

What problem? If you are swimming for fitness, you won't swim less
hard. If you are training for a race, you won't swim less hard. It
sounds like you are talking about swimmers who don't really want to
swim. If you like swimming with fins and you aren't training to race,
there is no reason not to swim with fins all the time, unless you are
interfering with other swimmers. I would use fins all the time, there
weren't other swimmers in the lane to get annoyed with me passing them
every hundred.

If you have a ****ty kick as an adult, you will probably always have a
****ty kick. If your ankles aren't flexible as an adult, you're not
going to change your ankle flexibility all that much. So, if you have
come to swimming as an adult, and you have no kick, unless you are
training to compete, you might enjoy training with fins all the time.

As I've said before, in that case be sure to be wearing fins anytime you
fall off a bridge or out of a boat--but anyone can tread water, which is
probably all you need in those situations....
Madelaine
Old October 15th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

"MW Smith" wrote in message

wrote:
"MW Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Kicking is a waste of energy, when you are trading water.

Sorry, that should be...

Kicking is a waste of energy, when you are treading water.

No, it's not. We require lifeguard candidates to tread for 2 minutes
without their hands as an entrance requirement to the class. It
requires very little effort for those who can do the "egg-beater" kick,
which is the appropriate kick for treading water - good ankle
flexibility isn't required in this case.

As to this:

If you have a ****ty kick as an adult, you will probably always
have a
****ty kick. If your ankles aren't flexible as an adult, you're
not
going to change your ankle flexibility all that much.

That's nonsense. Adults can improve - I sure did. I was 26 before I
learned to swim front crawl and probably 36 before I worked on my ankle
flexibility but the work helped my stroke immensely.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old October 16th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Steve Freides

"MW Smith" wrote

Ankle work helped your stroke? I don't think so. Still, there is no
secret to doing the flutter kick. If you have a ****ty kick, improving
ankle flexibility won't improve it much. And if you don't have good
ankle flexibility as an adult, you won't improve it much. You already
had ankle flexibility.

I worked on my ankle flexibility - a lot - and my kick went from being
poor to mediocre, and that's a big difference. I imagine that
difference can be difficult for you to see over the Internet but you'll
have to trust me, I can feel my kick helping move me through the water,
especially when swimming fast, and that's not something I used to be
able to do. I had s$%^ ankle flexibility after years of running.

"You already had ankle flexibility." No, I did not, and I had the kick
to prove it, too - I could take a kickboard and go absolutely nowhere
while working my tail off. You'd need both the ability to see over the
Internet _and_ the ability to go back in time for that one.

-S-

Old October 16th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Robert W. McAdams

MW Smith wrote:
On Oct 15, 5:42 am, "Robert W. McAdams" wrote:

I've found that practicing with fins helps to improve ankle flexibility.
Slim Fins were designed especially for this purpose:

http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_...im_product.htm

If you do this, make sure that you use the fins for only part of each
practice, since you don't want to become dependent on them.

Using fins won't make you more dependent on using fins. Using fins
makes your legs stronger.

Actually, the main thing drilling with fins did for me was to settle my
kick down from a wide, knee-driven, flailing kick into a narrow,
hip-driven, streamlined kick.

I don't know that it made my legs stronger per se. It did give them a
different kind of strength, though, because my old kick had been
building the wrong muscles.

Bob