Eye damage?

Old March 17th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Micheal Artindale

Default Eye damage?

If you swim without goggles in clorinated water for long periods of time,
can it do damage to your eyes?

Also, can you actually get used to clorinated water so that yolur eys dont
sting?

Thanks

Micheal

Old March 17th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
_

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:15:30 GMT, Micheal Artindale wrote:

If you swim without goggles in clorinated water for long periods of time,
can it do damage to your eyes?

Temporary, yes, Permanent, maybe.

Also, can you actually get used to clorinated water so that yolur eys dont
sting?

Yes.

How do you think we trained in the 50's and 60's? Nobody I knew wore
goggles - they didn't start showing up until the late 60's/early 70's, and
they weren't any good; hard rubber seals that hurt and didn't fit well...
Old March 17th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Micheal Artindale

"_" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:15:30 GMT, Micheal Artindale wrote:

If you swim without goggles in clorinated water for long periods of time,
can it do damage to your eyes?

Temporary, yes, Permanent, maybe.

Also, can you actually get used to clorinated water so that yolur eys
dont
sting?

Yes.

How do you think we trained in the 50's and 60's? Nobody I knew wore
goggles - they didn't start showing up until the late 60's/early 70's, and
they weren't any good; hard rubber seals that hurt and didn't fit well...

Would it be worth getting used to the water, or keep using goggles?

Micheal

Old March 17th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
_

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:49:10 GMT, Micheal Artindale wrote:

Would it be worth getting used to the water, or keep using goggles?

Worth is a question only the person concerned can answer.
Old March 17th 09, 11:45 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
PatTX[_3_]

_ wrote:
:: On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:15:30 GMT, Micheal Artindale wrote:
::
::: If you swim without goggles in clorinated water for long periods of
::: time, can it do damage to your eyes?
::
:: Temporary, yes, Permanent, maybe.
::
:::
::: Also, can you actually get used to clorinated water so that yolur
::: eys dont sting?
:::
::
:: Yes.
::
:: How do you think we trained in the 50's and 60's? Nobody I knew wore
:: goggles - they didn't start showing up until the late 60's/early
:: 70's, and they weren't any good; hard rubber seals that hurt and
:: didn't fit well...

I agree that we didn't wear goggles as kids. However, I remember walking
home from the pool looking at the funny colors my eyes saw for hours until
the effect wore off. I don't think eyes can "get used" to the levels of
chlorine used in pools. I had pink "whites" of my eyes for a long time.

We should ask an Opthalmologist...

Pat in TX

Old March 18th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
_

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:45:25 -0500, PatTX wrote:

_ wrote:
[...]

It wasn't just eyes that hurt; I remember reading John Konrad's plaint
about sore ears, recovering from a training session while his coach "went
off to play golf".

Old March 18th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
_

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:50:28 GMT, _ wrote:

It wasn't just eyes that hurt; I remember reading John Konrad's plaint
about sore ears, recovering from a training session while his coach "went
off to play golf".

Ooops, forgot, no "h" in Jon.
Old March 18th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
PatTX[_3_]

_ wrote:
:: On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:50:28 GMT, _ wrote:
::
::
::: It wasn't just eyes that hurt; I remember reading John Konrad's
::: plaint about sore ears, recovering from a training session while
::: his coach "went off to play golf".
::
:: Ooops, forgot, no "h" in Jon.

That'll cost you 10 laps!