Pilates Videos

Old July 16th 04, 09:27 PM
Corwick09

Default Pilates Videos

I would like to start getting into Pilates. I really need to increse
my flexibility and core strength, and fee like this would be a good
excercise to do that. The problem is I really can't afford to take
classes, or have a trainer teach me. I'm a student, and just can't
afford it. Could anyone reccommend some good videos a beginner could
use at home? Thanks so much!
Corwick
Old July 17th 04, 07:52 AM
brand

"Corwick09" wrote in message
om...
I would like to start getting into Pilates. I really need to increse
my flexibility and core strength, and fee like this would be a good
excercise to do that. The problem is I really can't afford to take
classes, or have a trainer teach me. I'm a student, and just can't
afford it. Could anyone reccommend some good videos a beginner could
use at home? Thanks so much!
Corwick

Moria Stott is probably the best teacher I've found on video.. She is a
little boring, but her instruction is very good.

Old July 18th 04, 11:11 PM
brand

"Phil Earnhardt" wrote in message
news
On 16 Jul 2004 12:27:40 -0700, (Corwick09)
wrote:

I would like to start getting into Pilates. I really need to increse
my flexibility and core strength, and fee like this would be a good
excercise to do that. The problem is I really can't afford to take
classes, or have a trainer teach me. I'm a student, and just can't
afford it. Could anyone reccommend some good videos a beginner could
use at home?

Pilates is a hands-on thing. The problem with videos is that they are
a one-way medium. No video can correct your positioning, correct your
form, or suggest some alternative imagery that will help you do the
exercises correctly.

I suggest doing you due diligence to see what's available in classes.
Locally, there are inexpensive classes available through city parks
and recreational classes. Many schools also have Pilates classes
available for students. A local teaching school provides discounted
instruction of you work with their instructor candidates.

I like the video "Pilates on the Ball", which is included with the
second edition of Colleen Craig's book of the same name. This video
can be a good supplement to classes; I don't know what results you can
reasonably expect using any video(s) exclusively.

Corwick

--phil
I know lots of people who have gotten great results using just videos. I

live in an area with no pilates classes for at least 50 miles.
So lots of people here rely totally on videos for fitness. I use only
video/dvds and have gotten really good results. it would be even better if I
cleaned up my diet, but that's a whole other subject.
Try these websites for some additional info.
http://p199.ezboard.com/bfirmbelivers You will have to apply for
membership at this forum, but that's a formality usually. It's to keep
trolls more under control.
http://69.93.245.62/forum/ This site is great for those interested in video
fitness. You can find info on every type of video fitness out there,

Old July 19th 04, 06:05 PM
Phil Earnhardt

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:11:03 -0600, "brand"
wrote:

Pilates is a hands-on thing. The problem with videos is that they are
a one-way medium. No video can correct your positioning, correct your
form, or suggest some alternative imagery that will help you do the
exercises correctly.

I know lots of people who have gotten great results using just videos.

I never said people couldn't get positive results from exercise videos
of any type. I just have an issue with doing p-type exercise videos
exclusively and calling that Pilates. The feedback from a
well-informed set of eyes is crucial to Pilates training.

With many types of exercise, the hands-on component is far less
important.

Here's a question for you about the Windsor Pilates infomercial: there
are several celebrities who endorse Mari's teaching techniques. Do you
listen closely to what they say -- do you think they are claiming that
they learned PIlates from Mari's videos? AFAICT, they're all talking
about her hands-on training. If you really pay attention to that, the
message that the infomercial delivers is positively mixed.

live in an area with no pilates classes for at least 50 miles.

Where?

--phil

Old July 19th 04, 09:50 PM
brand

wrote:

[...]

Southern Iowa. In the middle of nowhere in a 20 square mile county with

fewer than 3000 people. The closest gym is a 30 mile drive and it's just a
bunch of weight eqiupment and a couple really old treadmills.

And I've done The Winsor Pilates, and I think Moria Stott's videos are 100%
better. Mari moves to fast in her videos for my tastes. And I would bet my
kids that the celebrities all learned the pilates in private sessions using
the equipment etc. But I still know people who have done Winsor and
flattened their abs like noone bussiness.
Moira moves much slower taking the momentum out of the movements, and
explains so much better what you are to be doing. And The Method is also a
pretty good version of pilates Jeniffer Kriess is also a good teacher.
I don't do pilates very much as I just don't like it. I much prefer weight
lifting and use a bunch of Cathe Friedrich dvds' and just got P90X that I'll
be starting soon.

Old July 20th 04, 12:10 AM
Phil Earnhardt

In article , brand says...

Southern Iowa. In the middle of nowhere in a 20 square mile county with
fewer than 3000 people. The closest gym is a 30 mile drive and it's just a
bunch of weight eqiupment and a couple really old treadmills.

Sounds like a good place to practice home fitness.

If you travel to more populated areas on vacation/business, you could probably
find some group mat
classes -- or maybe even try out a studio session. I wold recommend the
instructor list at
www.pilatesmethodalliance.org .

And I've done The Winsor Pilates, and I think Moria Stott's videos are 100%
better. Mari moves to fast in her videos for my tastes.

I got to do a [large!] group class with Moria last fall. She's clearly very
knowledgable and has great
communication skills.

I've never actually seen any of the Windsor videos.

And I would bet my
kids that the celebrities all learned the pilates in private sessions using
the equipment etc.

All you have to do is listen closely to what Minnie and Danny say in the
Infomercial. It's no big secret.

But I still know people who have done Winsor and
flattened their abs like noone bussiness.

To repeat myself: I don't think we're in disagreement. I never said that people
couldn't get positive
results from using these videos. But, while "flattening their abs" is important,
it's not the primary reason
I do Pilates.

I do Pilates so that my Deep Front Line is engaged and that my superficial lines
aren't
working to maintain my posture. These terms are described in detail in Tom
Myers's book _Anatomy
Trains_. I strongly prefer the term DFL to "core strength" or somesuch, because
so many people think
they know what that term means. Many folk think that the rectus abdominus is a
"core strength"
muscle.

I think about Pilates when I drive: how to engage my Rotator Cuff muscles and
have an integrated
shoulder girdle. This is a tremendously powerful way to minimize stress while
driving! My guess is that
understanding -- and living -- such concepts would be pretty difficult if I only
used exercise videos.

Moira moves much slower taking the momentum out of the movements, and
explains so much better what you are to be doing. And The Method is also a
pretty good version of pilates Jeniffer Kriess is also a good teacher.
I don't do pilates very much as I just don't like it. I much prefer weight
lifting and use a bunch of Cathe Friedrich dvds' and just got P90X that I'll
be starting soon.

If you were doing L3-L5 pilates matwork, you would start to see a lot of the
"weightless workout"
weight-lifting work. Very cool stuff. But, again, very tricky to do without
hands-on instruction.

--phil

Old July 20th 04, 02:51 AM
brand

[...]

Sometimes I do wish I lived in a more populated area, but I love the country
and country living.
I internet chat with people who do lots of pilates and yoga and man, they
look good. But it's just not my "thing" I just can't get into it.
I do it cause it is great for my core and sometimes I don't want to get out
my weights and all that.
You are so lucky to have done a class with Moria Stott. I have a few of her
dvds and once you get past the beginner stuff it is pretty hard.

Old July 20th 04, 11:52 PM
Phil Earnhardt

In article , brand says...
Sometimes I do wish I lived in a more populated area, but I love the country
and country living.
I internet chat with people who do lots of pilates and yoga and man, they
look good. But it's just not my "thing" I just can't get into it.
I do it cause it is great for my core and sometimes I don't want to get out
my weights and all that.

I completely agree that workout classes are tough for you to attend.
At the same time, I don't want people living in more populated areas
to use your example to get "off the hook" to seek out
competent instructors for these challenging fitness disciplines.

You are so lucky to have done a class with Moria Stott. I have a few of her
dvds and once you get past the beginner stuff it is pretty hard.

I really like Elizabeth Larkam's stuff, too. You can see info at
www.balancedbody.com . Elizabeth is both a Pilates and Feldenkrais
instructor; she has the most elegant body I've ever seen.

--phil

New Pilates Machines! Shawn Aerobic 0 June 1st 04 09:29 PM
pilates jamielynn Aerobic 10 April 7th 04 07:49 PM
anyone try new workout videos called "Core Secrets?" by Gunnar Peterson ellegirl Aerobic 0 January 20th 04 12:35 AM
A Web Site Featuring Comments on Exercise Videos? ... Linda W. Aerobic 1 August 21st 03 05:46 AM
Help! Need to lose 9+ pounds in 9 days with Pilates, the gym and Atkins... indie747 Aerobic 2 July 11th 03 07:09 AM