Split times reconciliation

Old May 10th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
none

Default Split times reconciliation

What is the recommended method for reconciling split times? (We use two
time keepers, one for splits & one for total time; the ttal time is the
official race time.)

If, for example, on a relay I record

32, 37, 36, 31 (total 2:16), while the official total time is 2:16.5,
would people

(a) leave times as they are
(b) pro-rata all times (which is what I am currently doing)
(c) 'split the difference' on the first & last swimmer?
(d) something else?
Old May 10th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Micheal Artindale

"none" wrote in message
news
What is the recommended method for reconciling split times? (We use two
time keepers, one for splits & one for total time; the ttal time is the
official race time.)

If, for example, on a relay I record

32, 37, 36, 31 (total 2:16), while the official total time is 2:16.5,
would people

(a) leave times as they are
(b) pro-rata all times (which is what I am currently doing)
(c) 'split the difference' on the first & last swimmer?
(d) something else?

What I would do is:

1) keep the orrignal splits, and dont worry about the difference.

or

2) be more attentitive to the hundredths on the split by recording all the
numbers. This should add up to the official time.

or

3) dont worry about it. I do not worry about relays, only races I do on my
own.

Micheal

Old May 10th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
none

On Sun, 10 May 2009 00:54:44 +0000, Micheal Artindale wrote:

"none" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks. I'd previously discussed this with club coaches, who had felt
happiest with pro-rata. But yesterday was an interesting gala ... see
below.

The numbers were illustrative. We do record to 0.01 of a second; the
splits timer is not an official timer, so can't stand next to the pool
end; and with 4x1 relays we usually position around mid-way on the pool.

The discrepancies are not usually as large as 0.5 seconds (can be; but
usually within 0.1). At the gala we just did the electronic timekeeping
was being used for recording times, but the electronic start was barely
audible so a whistle was also being used, and the manual versus electronic
times had a larger discrepancy than usual; the swimmers were allowed to
start on whichever starting sound they heard. So, normally the pro-rata
method corrected at the 0.01 second level; but yesterday it corrected at
the 0.1 second level for a few splits.
Old May 13th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
none

On Mon, 11 May 2009 05:02:53 -0700, MW Smith wrote:

On May 10, 7:29 pm, none wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2009 00:54:44 +0000, Micheal Artindale wrote:

"none" wrote in message
news What is the recommended method for reconciling split times? (We use two
[...]

The problem with taking splits from a position where you can't see the
touch is that the person usually watches for the head lift, which
often happens before the touch with swimmers who are not well-
schooled. It also happens with elite swimmers, as was the case in the
Olympics when Michael Phelps touched out Milo Cavic in the 100m
butterfly. Cavic lifted his head before he reached the wall and lost
the gold medal.

One thing the split timer can do when he can't see the hand touch is
to take the split at the point when the next swimmer's feet leave the
block. This makes the start time for each swimmer more accurate, while
making the finish time less accurate, but its a relay so either the
start time or the end time is guaranteed to be wrong anyway.

Why do you need such accuracy for these splits? I've never used them
for anything that required as much accuracy as you are trying to get,
except the lead-off swimmer's time, which can be used as an official
time if you get an accurate finish time.

I think that the accuracy is spurious, but for many of the younger
swimmers (8+) this is the start of their collection of competitive times.
It then gives them an idea of their progress. We do tell them that only
leg #1 counts towards an 'official' pB, but all legs are used as an
indication of how they are improving.

Taking split times - 100 m 4x1 relay none Swimming 1 February 17th 09 03:22 AM
Does anyone know how to format EXCEL cells to easily enter split times? Sam Running 24 September 21st 04 11:48 AM
Figuring Mile Split Times remove $ sign to reply Running 10 July 31st 04 11:41 PM
data for split times Ike Running 5 October 17th 03 02:50 AM
Kick Only Times vs Full Swim Times Larry Weisenthal Swimming 26 September 12th 03 09:29 AM