new gps

Old May 5th 09, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gwyn

Default new gps

I've had to learn the hard way about non waterproof phone gps's and
rain and am now in for an independent waterproof gps

Basically I've had a garmin etrex legend b4 so would probably go for a
garmin again but this time want a sirf star III chipset

My requirements are sirf star III chipset
at least a 100 track saving postions
memory card expandable for uploading
all of the UK

I already have garmin mapsource europe v5 and city navigator v7
--
Gwyn.
Remove rem if replying
Old May 6th 09, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Gwyn said
I've had to learn the hard way about non waterproof phone gps's and
rain and am now in for an independent waterproof gps

Basically I've had a garmin etrex legend b4 so would probably go for a
garmin again but this time want a sirf star III chipset

My requirements are sirf star III chipset
at least a 100 track saving postions
memory card expandable for uploading
all of the UK

I already have garmin mapsource europe v5 and city navigator v7

60CX or 60CSX (or 76 ditto) is the best game in town. Not sure what you
mean about 100 saved track positions though - all those can save 100s
of days of walking to the SD card although you can't view it all on the
handset, only by unloading it to a PC.

The new eTrex models are not bad, and cheaper, but the 60/76 'x' models
are still superior, especially for applications where an external
antenna helps or where you really want external power supplied.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
14,375 Km walked. 2,662 Km PROWs surveyed. 48.1% complete.
Old May 8th 09, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gwyn

On Wed, 6 May 2009 17:31:29 +0100, GSV Three Minds in a Can
wrote:

60CX or 60CSX (or 76 ditto) is the best game in town. Not sure what you

thanks for that nearly went for a new etrex till i saw the cx on
amazon for 196 whats the difference between the csx and the cx?
--
Gwyn.
Remove rem if replying
Old May 9th 09, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

wrote:

60CX or 60CSX (or 76 ditto) is the best game in town. Not sure what you

thanks for that nearly went for a new etrex till i saw the cx on
amazon for 196 whats the difference between the csx and the cx?

The S stands for sensors. The S models have an electronic compass and
a pressure sensor. so in theory you can tell which direction you are
facing and how the pressure changes over time which can be useful for
determining height or whether there is a storm coming. I don't miss
them having on a 76CX but you and others might feel differently.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Sgurr na Banachdich
http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old May 9th 09, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Martin Richardson

In message , Phil Cook
writes

wrote:

60CX or 60CSX (or 76 ditto) is the best game in town. Not sure what you

thanks for that nearly went for a new etrex till i saw the cx on
amazon for 196 whats the difference between the csx and the cx?

The S stands for sensors. The S models have an electronic compass and
a pressure sensor. so in theory you can tell which direction you are
facing and how the pressure changes over time which can be useful for
determining height or whether there is a storm coming. I don't miss
them having on a 76CX but you and others might feel differently.

I have the 60CSx - must say I have no recollection ever using the
barometer function. Very occasionally I have used the compass - but then
the Silva compass remains permanently unused at the bottom of my
rucksack too
--
Martin Richardson
56/220 Corbetts - 25% 772/1555 Marilyns - 49.6%

Old May 9th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

I have the 60CSx - must say I have no recollection ever using the
barometer function. Very occasionally I have used the compass - but then
the Silva compass remains permanently unused at the bottom of my rucksack
too
--
Martin Richardson
56/220 Corbetts - 25% 772/1555 Marilyns - 49.6%
118/211 Irish Hewitts - 56% 107/118 New Donalds - 91%

I also have a 60Csx, I really can't be arsed to find out the barometric
pressure and zero it in. Also, the compass is turned off. In all, most of
the many functions are never used. A bit like a car, you buy one and it's
never used to it's full protential and stands still for 98% of it's life ;-)

Jhimmy

Old May 10th 09, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bill Grey

In message , Martin Richardson
writes
Silva compass remains permanently unused at the bottom of my rucksack
too

Don't forget to remove the batteries :-)
--
Bill Grey

Old May 11th 09, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike Clark

In message
"Jhimmy" wrote:

I have the 60CSx - must say I have no recollection ever using the
barometer function. Very occasionally I have used the compass - but
then the Silva compass remains permanently unused at the bottom of
my rucksack too

[snip]

I also have a 60Csx, I really can't be arsed to find out the
barometric pressure and zero it in. Also, the compass is turned off.
In all, most of the many functions are never used. A bit like a car,
you buy one and it's never used to it's full protential and stands
still for 98% of it's life ;-)

I think having a model with that function in is undesirable, if you're
not going to bother to manually calibrate the barometric altitude, since
you'll actually be reducing the accuracy of altitude measurements much
of the time.

Each time you switch the unit on the auto-calibration starts off by
assuming the last saved manual calibration result. Thus if you haven't
recently manually calibrated the device, and also if that last manual
calibration is very different from current ambient results, you'll end
up with the initial readings being miscalculated. It may take 30
minutes or more for the autocalibration to adjust to the current ambient
conditions and if you then switch the unit off and on again that
auto-recalibraion is lost and restarts all over again.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old May 11th 09, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

Each time you switch the unit on the auto-calibration starts off by
assuming the last saved manual calibration result. Thus if you haven't
recently manually calibrated the device, and also if that last manual
calibration is very different from current ambient results, you'll end
up with the initial readings being miscalculated. It may take 30
minutes or more for the autocalibration to adjust to the current ambient
conditions and if you then switch the unit off and on again that
auto-recalibraion is lost and restarts all over again.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
" || _`\,_ |__\ \ | caving, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

That's why I don't care about all the functions. When i bought it I was
going to do this and that with it....er, now can't be arsed, I just stick in
a few waypoints and save my track ;-)

Jhimmy

Old May 11th 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike Clark

In message
"Jhimmy" wrote:

Each time you switch the unit on the auto-calibration starts off by
assuming the last saved manual calibration result. Thus if you
haven't recently manually calibrated the device, and also if that
last manual calibration is very different from current ambient
results, you'll end up with the initial readings being
miscalculated. It may take 30 minutes or more for the
autocalibration to adjust to the current ambient conditions and if
you then switch the unit off and on again that auto-recalibraion is
lost and restarts all over again.

Mike

That's why I don't care about all the functions. When i bought it I
was going to do this and that with it....er, now can't be arsed, I
just stick in a few waypoints and save my track ;-)

Jhimmy

But the track you save won't be your track, at least not in one of the
three dimensions saved!

Mike