Shrug Question

Old February 16th 04, 02:07 AM
Jake

Default Shrug Question

Lyle McDonald wrote in message ...
Jake wrote:

Sooky Grumper wrote in message ...

John HUDSON wrote:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:19:58 -0600, Lyle McDonald
wrote:

Bruce wrote:

I usually shrug with an olympic bar in the squat rack. I saw a guy the
other day doing the same thing but picking up the bar behind his back and
shrugging it up behind his ass. What is the point of that?

you don't have to worry about the bar hitting your dick.

Now that *is* funny; how very refreshing! ;o)

Good benchers = short arms = not fun for deadlifts/shrugs

This makes sense. I have short arms. When I do barbell shrugs I have
to lean a bit so I don't bruise up my precious willy.

Is this bad for the back at all?

Define 'bad'.

Lyle

Having any negative results that anybody could possible think of that
could possible some day make me wish "oh ****, I should have just let
it hit my willy" or "oh ****, i should have found a different trap
exercise"

Jake

still posting just to use the word "willy"
Old February 17th 04, 12:58 AM
shola akano

Bob Falooley wrote in message ...
Bruce wrote:

I usually shrug with an olympic bar in the squat rack. I saw a guy the
other day doing the same thing but picking up the bar behind his back and
shrugging it up behind his ass. What is the point of that?

I see guys doing that all the time in the smith machine. It looks like they
don't get as good a ROM as I can just using dumbells.

--Falooley

Hey Bob. I know exactly what you are saying. I absoulutely love to
shrug with dumbells. The way I perform the exercise is to look at it
as if you are attempting to stuff your shoulders into your ears. This
goes back to what you were saying about range of motion. I have also
observed people doing shrugs from behind and I also notice the
restricted look it has. My advice would be to keep doing what your are
doing, and possible try this once in a while to add some variety to
your workout. (maybe hit your traps from a different angle or
something) but definately stick to what works for you

shola
Old February 18th 04, 05:14 PM
gman99

I do shrugs using a universal bench handles...use all the weight on there
plus add a few plates...better than dumbbells.

Old February 19th 04, 12:14 PM
gman99

I don't powerlift so to hit my traps I do shrugs and upright rows....

wuss

Wow...that hurt...
Old February 26th 04, 01:21 PM
G. Coates

gman99 wrote:

I don't powerlift so to hit my traps I do shrugs and upright rows....

wuss

Wow...that hurt...

You are all wusses...powerlifting rules