Pulled hamstring muscle?

Old May 1st 08, 03:01 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Steve Freides

Default Pulled hamstring muscle?

"surface9" wrote in message
A couple of weeks ago I picked up something heavy from a bent over
position and felt a sharp pain in the back of my right leg. Since
then, I have noticed it hasn't really gotten any better, and I also
notice I can't stretch my right hamstring anywhere near as much as I
used to - I get a sharp pain on the lower backside of my thigh.
Today, I just happen to notice a small swelling in the muscle just
above the back side of the knee, right in the middle. It is not
completely round, but semi-balled up a bit about the size of a jacks-
pickup rubbel ball (1.25 inches across). Looking into the mirror
confirms there is a slight bump when I flex my right hamstring
moderatly. The left leg has muscle tissue there also, but it is
smooth and no pain at all.

So, is this a pulled muscle? I confess I guess I have never had
anything like this. Is this the kind of injury that heals itself? Or
do you need something special?

I walk on a treadmill often and it doesn't seem to bother it very much
- I guess I just don't know how to deal with this kind of injury. Any
advice?

I agree with the other responder - get it checked out by a doctor. It's
possibly something pulled, but it's also possible you might need the
knot/lump massaged. For self-treatment, I'd go with self-massage and/or
heat, and I'd also consider a few days of around-the-clock ibuprofen or
similar. But, again, first choice is see a doctor.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old May 4th 08, 02:25 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Proctologically Violated®©

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
"surface9" wrote in message
[...]

Are you selling ibuprofen, too??

Stupid advice, esp. given that pain was not a major complaint.
Ibuprofen does not heal muscle, repair tendon, dude.
--
------

Sodomized by Congress, butt again...
But, Obama at least took me to the hospital!

all d'numbuhs

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old May 4th 08, 03:23 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Proctologically Violated®©

"surface9" wrote in message

"surface9" wrote in message
[...]

I have an appointment with my ortho on Tuesday - the pain
has subsided a little bit, but the lump remains and I have
ceased ALL physical activity until after I see the orhto.
I am using a heating pad for 30 minutes daily, which seems
to help. My burning question: How long before I can resume
my very active lifestyle which includes lots of up and down
with my legs and huffing and puffing? I loathe just sitting
around in this lazy boy with my right leg propped up. Ugh.

============================

Well, much as I loathe doctors/the medical establishment, sometimes you
can't avoid them, and this is one of them. If the sports medicine guy or
orthopedist does not recognize this immediately (and he should), an xray
likely will not be sufficient, and it will be MRI time.
Even if he does recognize it, he may opt for an mri, in which he and his
buddeez have an interest, just to sock it to your HMO, and buy the kid a new
bmw.

One thing you CAN do, instead of popping Asshole Steve's ibuprofin all day,
is pop Vit C's, some joint formula containing as much of the following as
poss: Chondroiten, glucosamine, MSM, HA, along with vit A, E, zinc, and of
course a multi-vitamin, pref. in a "low potency" form (centrum or its
equiv), a few times a day.
Your doctor will say this is utter bull****, and I'm not saying it's a cure,
but it will certainly potentiate the success/speed of other remedies.

You may want to post over on misc.fitness.weights, as you have some very
experienced people over there, altho that group too has fallen into
disarray--from being merely psychotic. I would ask them how *their* injuries
healed over time, what they did after the doc.

Post back after Tues, but my guess is you have a complete muscle tear. The
Q is: did the tendon peel off the bone, or did the muscle peel off the
tendon? yeowch I wouldn't be surprised if you have to use a crutch for a
while, as well.
You will be likely out of commision for a while, at least with that leg.
Doesn't mean you can't do other stuff, eg bench pressing, chinups, etc.

The amazing thing is that effingFriedes didn't try to sell you a kettlebell
as a cure.
--
------

Old May 4th 08, 04:38 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Steve Freides

"surface9" wrote in message
[...]

entropic3.14decay at optonline2.718 dot net; remove pi and e to
reply--ie,
all d'numbuhs

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

I have an appointment with my ortho on Tuesday - the pain
has subsided a little bit, but the lump remains and I have
ceased ALL physical activity until after I see the orhto.
I am using a heating pad for 30 minutes daily, which seems
to help. My burning question: How long before I can resume
my very active lifestyle which includes lots of up and down
with my legs and huffing and puffing? I loathe just sitting
around in this lazy boy with my right leg propped up. Ugh.

*********
I'm afraid you may have to wait for your doctor's opinion on that
question, but I would not necessarily cease all physical activity. Many
injuries respond better/quicker to a few days rest followed by the
resumption of light-to-moderate activity. I'd do what you can, e.g., I
know someone who had an elbow injury but worked hard on a gripper while
waiting for the elbow to recover - and his plan worked out great, he
kept in some kind of shape, and his elbow recovered fully. If you can't
stretch as much but still can walk, then I'd do some walking, and even
more vigorous exercise if it doesn't bother the leg.

Just my opinion.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old May 5th 08, 08:27 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Darte

surface9 wrote:

snipped for brevity

I have an appointment with my ortho on Tuesday - the pain
has subsided a little bit, but the lump remains and I have
ceased ALL physical activity until after I see the orhto.
I am using a heating pad for 30 minutes daily, which seems
to help. My burning question: How long before I can resume
my very active lifestyle which includes lots of up and down
with my legs and huffing and puffing? I loathe just sitting
around in this lazy boy with my right leg propped up. Ugh.

Agreed - nothing worse than being forced to recuperate.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on building my upper body until you're 100%

Rely on dumb-bell work - seated back-flys, bent over tricep work and plenty
of bicep curls will get your heart pumping in the interim.

Good luck at the doctor's!

I am fairly sure that if they took porn off the internet, there would only
be one website left and it would be called bring back the porn
Old May 7th 08, 05:38 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Proctologically Violated®©

"surface9" wrote in message
On May 5, 12:27 am, Darte wrote:
surface9 wrote:

snipped for brevity

[...]

My orthopedic surgeon thoroughly examined my hamstrings (including
xrays), and diagnosed it as a sprain (minor tear), and prescribed
celebrex to reduce the swelling of the lump, which is a collection of
fluids from the original tear. He gave me some physical therapy to
follow, maneuvers to avoid, indicated to use ice packs, and suggested
it may be 4 - 6 weeks to recover. He did say that my injury, though
quite painful to me, was minor compared to some of the hamstring
injuries he has treated over the years. He calmed my fears a lot - I
was just freaked out by that lump behind my knee. I was very much
impressed by the professionalism and thoroughness of this OS - he took
the time to explain to me what probably happened and how it was
affecting the backside of my thigh. I left there feeling a lot better
- and resolved to be more careful in the future.

Congrats on a pretty good outcome, all things considered.

What was the physical therapy rec?
What should be avoided?
And what did he think happened?

I would have thought physical therapy would be total non-use, at least
initially.

I have heard where total tears leave the muscle like a snapped roll-up blind
you see in the cartoons.
Don't know what the outcome of that is, probably surgery.

Take the celebrex if you must, but don't forget about a vitamin regimen like
the one I mentioned earlier.
--
------

Old January 21st 12, 06:29 PM
sanadepth sanadepth is offline
Junior Member

These behind the thigh muscles. Hamstring muscles are stretched fully when a person begins to move. Hamstring injury may occur at this stage of the campaign.
dermal fillers

Pulled hamstring muscle? Sue De'Nimb General 0 May 1st 08 08:38 AM
pulled hamstring WW Running 21 October 8th 07 10:06 PM
Pulled hamstring curt Running 3 July 26th 05 01:08 AM
Pulled hamstring? Gemini Jackson Weights 0 August 13th 04 02:10 PM
pulled muscle? paint8oy Weights 8 November 26th 03 02:57 PM