Couple of newbie questions on routine substitutes

Old September 9th 03, 07:34 PM
Pheare

Default Couple of newbie questions on routine substitutes

Hey all,

I am going to be starting this routine on Sunday:

http://www.stumptuous.com/program5.html

I have the following for equipment:

- Power Rack
- Incline/flat bench
- Lat attachement for the power rack (has low pulley as well)
- 300lbs of Olympic weight and bar.
- no dumbells at this point.

I have a few questions:

- Can anyone recommend a substitue for the dip on Day 2? I am not setup
for dips.

- Also, what is the best way to do calf raises without any machines?
Maybe just a 2x6 and a barbell? Are the seated calf machines any good?
I can get one a reasonable price.

- With the back hyperextensions on Day 1 - is there a way to do
extensions without the specialized machines? If not, what would be a
good subsitute for the hyperextension? I'd like to try stay away from
the Good Morning if possible.

- The above routine only has me doing crunches on one day. Are there any
issues with doing crunches on every workout day? In the past I'd do one
set in between each exercise.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Darren

Old September 9th 03, 07:51 PM
Hoff

"Pheare" wrote in message
.. .
Hey all,

I am going to be starting this routine on Sunday:

http://www.stumptuous.com/program5.html

I have the following for equipment:

- Power Rack
- Incline/flat bench
- Lat attachement for the power rack (has low pulley as well)
- 300lbs of Olympic weight and bar.
- no dumbells at this point.

I have a few questions:

- Can anyone recommend a substitue for the dip on Day 2? I am not setup
for dips.

Does your bench decline as well? If so, try decline benches.

Also, what kind of rack do you have? You can buy inexpensive dip handles
for a lot of them.

- Also, what is the best way to do calf raises without any machines?
Maybe just a 2x6 and a barbell? Are the seated calf machines any good?
I can get one a reasonable price.

You can mimic seated calf pretty well with just the rack and bench. I use
an old folded over piece of carpet across my thighs. Set the bar on the
safety bars, set a little lower than knee height when seated on the end of
the bench. Put your feet on some blocks or whatever, and roll the bar up on
your thighs.

Hoff

Old September 10th 03, 02:02 AM
Rastarr

"Hoff" wrote in message
news:9jp7b.404818$o%[email protected]

snip
You can mimic seated calf pretty well with just the rack and bench. I use
an old folded over piece of carpet across my thighs. Set the bar on the
safety bars, set a little lower than knee height when seated on the end of
the bench. Put your feet on some blocks or whatever, and roll the bar up

on
your thighs.

Hoff

Whoah, that's a great idea.
I was looking at an alternative to Single Leg Calf Raises for my next HST
cycle so this comes along at just thr right time.

Kudos Hoff

Cheers
Martin

--

=================================
anti-spam: replace breathof2dogs****ing with cooney to send me email

Old September 10th 03, 02:14 PM
Pheare

"Hoff" wrote in
news:9jp7b.404818$o%[email protected]:

You can mimic seated calf pretty well with just the rack and bench. I
use an old folded over piece of carpet across my thighs. Set the bar
on the safety bars, set a little lower than knee height when seated on
the end of the bench. Put your feet on some blocks or whatever, and
roll the bar up on your thighs.

Good idea, thanks for the tip.

Darren

Old September 10th 03, 02:23 PM
Lee Michaels

"Hoff" wrote in
news:9jp7b.404818$o%[email protected]:

You can mimic seated calf pretty well with just the rack and bench. I
use an old folded over piece of carpet across my thighs. Set the bar
on the safety bars, set a little lower than knee height when seated on
the end of the bench. Put your feet on some blocks or whatever, and
roll the bar up on your thighs.

I used to make a pad for this movement. I would take a samll piece of
plywood and nail two peices of 2 X 4 across it. This would form a grrove for
the bar. Put a piece of foam on it and cover it with some vinyl.

As long as you had a calf block, easily made from some wood scraps, you were
ready to go. Jusst put the weight at a height that you can barely get the
pad and knees barely under it. Just hang onto the bar. The pad will be much
more comfortable than a bar with some padding. The wood spreads around the
weight.

Two newbie questions Larisa Weights 3 September 5th 03 05:53 AM
What Is This Routine Missing? A. Snow Weights 1 September 5th 03 03:10 AM
Newbie questions about sweating and drinking water while walking Uncle Peter Walking 4 August 27th 03 05:39 AM