TR - Corbetts - Beinn Odhar Bheag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh

Old July 10th 07, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Lindsay

Default TR - Corbetts - Beinn Odhar Bheag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh

Corbetts Beinn Odhar Bheag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh

The start of this walk was the A830 Fort William to Mallaig Road east
of Loch Eilt. At grid reference NM856813 there was a fairly large
area of ground, partially tarred with a sign and map relative to
accessing the Hills of Moidart. A gate gave access to a bridge over
the Allt Lon a'Mhuidhe and immediately thereafter I crossed the
railway line.

Once on the south side of the railway line I took a bearing and headed
for the knoll at 400 metres. There were some marks on the grass
where it appeared that other walkers had passed this way before but
with the fresh growth it was unwise to follow marks which may have
been animal trails.

The mountain tops were cloud covered but the forecast was for an
improvement throughout the day. However once I had reached this
knoll and started ascending the NNW ridge the cloud lowered further
and it started to rain. To the east of the ridge there was an
attractive gorge containing the stream flowing from Coire Choin Duinn.

The rain eased as I gained height along this fairly contorted ridge
and I started getting views out to the Islands of Rum and Eigg. I
eventually reached a small lochan and thereafter made my way through
some rocky terrain to the summit cairn of Beinn Odhar Mhor. The trig
point itself was lying about in several pieces. Unfortunately the
summit was covered in cloud when I arrived so I decided to hang around
there for a few minutes to see if there was any improvement. I was
lucky, the cloud did start to break up and eventually I had views of
Loch Shiel and the Glenfinnan Viaduct. I was also fortunate to see
the Island of Rum again, the Sound of Sleet on the Island of Skye and
across to the Knoydart Munros.

The ridge between Beinn Odhar Mhor and Beinn Odhar Bheag was very
rocky in sections and contorted and I was glad that I could see where
I was headed as I worked my way round the rocks seeking the best route
along the ridge. The ascent of Beinn Odhar Bheag involved keeping to
the east of some slab rock before reaching the summit cairn in the
sun. The cloud was lifting all around me and I was now enjoying
views in all directions. I took shelter from the wind and had lunch
while looking down Loch Shiel to Loch Sunart and across to the Ardgour
Hills and to Beinn Resipol the highest hill in Sunart.

After lunch I reluctantly left this superb viewpoint and descended in
sun to Bealach a'Choire Bhuidhe where I disturbed a lone deer. This
was followed by a steady climb to the small cairn on the top of Beinn
Mhic Cedidh. Here I had further views of the Islands of Rum and Skye
and of Knoydart. I also had good views of the three Rois-Bheinn
Corbetts and of the Graham Croit Bheinn.

I had lingered a fair bit on all three summits but it was time I
headed back to the start. I descended Beinn Mhic Cedidh's north
ridge which was steep and rocky in places and was far from straight
forward so I was glad of the clear visibility. Lower down the ridge
divided, the easiest route going north-west but I headed north-east
which was steeper and rockier and required a fair bit of care. On
approaching the Allt a'Coire Bhuidhe the ground consisted of long
tussocky grass which slowed my progress.

On reaching the Allt a'Coire Bhuidhe there was a bridge which I used
to cross the river and thereafter I followed an All Terrain Vehicle
(ATV) track to and along the south side of the railway line. The ATV
track later went under the railway line and continued east along its
north side. I eventually left this track and headed for the Allt
Lon a'Mhuidhe and walked up its south bank until I found a suitable
point to cross it and onto the main road. I followed the road east
for around a kilometre before arriving back my car and the sun was
still shinning.

Note - the distances and height climbed is the minimum in both cases
as they have been taken from the map and do not include all the
undulations, twists and turns.

Time taken - 6.75 hours.
Distance - 12 kilometres.
Height climbed - 1080 metres.

Photos taken on walk can be viewed he
http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/ga...ne07/index.htm

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Old July 11th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
The Reid

Following up to Lindsay wrote:

Corbetts Beinn Odhar Bheag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh

you're exhausting me just reading about them! :-)
--
Mike Reid
Cutty Sark appeal"http://www.cuttysark.org.uk"
Old July 11th 07, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Lindsay

On Jul 11, 1:12 pm, The Reid
wrote:
Following up to Lindsay wrote:

Corbetts Beinn Odhar Bheag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh

you're exhausting me just reading about them! :-)
--
Mike Reid
Cutty Sark appeal"http://www.cuttysark.org.uk"
City of Adelaide petitionhttp://petitions.pm.gov.uk/cuttysarksister/
to email remove clothing.

That was an enjoyable day with great views once the shower and cloud
cleared.

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com