quitting program? too low volume for hypertrophy?

Old February 28th 04, 10:34 PM
Jake

Default quitting program? too low volume for hypertrophy?

damn i'll try to keep this short, nobody likes a long post.

I posted something the other day (about periodizing a diet while
bulking) but I don't think it came through, i never saw it. This
being the case, I don't have to feel guilty about posting twice within
a few days. So there.

Anyway, I've been doing this Ian King program for about 5 months now.
(I was eating maintenance for two months, bulked for a month, cut for
a month, and have been bulking for the past month) Results have been
so-so, I know this newsgroup isn't a big fan of King.

each stage of the workout (it changes every 3 weeks) consists of 3
workouts per week, all containing some sort of chinup/pullup, bent
over row, bench press, squat, shoulder press, and deadlift.
Generally, I've been training each muscle group once a week. The only
real gains i've gotten have been from the higher rep stages of the
program (schemes of 6, 6, 10, 15) as opposed to most of the second
half of the program which consists of 6, 1, 6, 1, 10, or 6, 5, 4, 15.

I'm all for strength gains, I'd just like to add as much size as
possible before spring, then cut, because I'm going to wait until it
gets cold again to start another bulking cycle.

I have 8 more weeks on this program and I feel like if i were to eat a
high calorie diet, most of those calories would be going to my gut
rather than muscles, because I believe this program might be too low
volume, or I might just be used to low volume by this point, and I
need something new.

Should I stick it out and finish it? Does this program sound too low
volume for hypertrophy?

thanks in advance,
Jake

p.s. i'm thinking of abandoning the workout in place of the following
-
two workouts A and B, and I do one every other day (like mon A,
wednesday B, friday A, etc. 2 second decent for all exercises (except
deads). Any comments on this? My thinking was to get a semi- full
body workout each time.

WORKOUT A
bent over row
warmup sets-10, 8
work sets - 6, 8, 12

bench press - same rep scheme

squats- same rep scheme

barbell bicep curl -
warmup set 10
work set 8

calf raise -
warmup set 10
work set 8

workout B
shoulder press
warmup sets 10, 8
work sets - 6, 8, 12

chinup - same rep scheme as above

deadlift -same rep scheme

dips-
warmup set 10
work set 8

shrugs up on toes
warmup set 10
work set 8

(for the first three exercises in each workout, i'm thinking that rep
scheme for 3 weeks, then moving to work sets of 4, 8, and 15, for
three weeks, then to work sets of 2, 4, 6 and 12 for three weeks.)
Old February 28th 04, 10:51 PM
Roger Zoul

Jake wrote:
:: Should I stick it out and finish it? Does this program sound too low
:: volume for hypertrophy?
::

HST...

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Old February 29th 04, 04:41 AM
Jake

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
Jake wrote:
:: Should I stick it out and finish it? Does this program sound too low
:: volume for hypertrophy?
::

HST...

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

I actually have been reading from that site (and noticed that Lyle
mentions it in UD2, as well as other concepts about training each
bodypart more frequently.) It's a good site, some interesting stuff,
thanks for the link anyway.

I was just wondering if anybody had any specific comments about my
situation.

Is it better to stick it out, as a matter of principle?

I understand that HST calls for more frequent training of each
bodypart than my current program. While I can imagine HST is a great
program (it seems very popular here), I wanted to know what anybody
here in mfw had to say about how low volume is too volume, and whether
the Ian King program I'm describing sounds like it's aim is moreso for
strength rather than adding size (on a high calorie diet, of course)

any personal opinions, kind sir? (or anybody reading this, for that
matter)

Thanks in advance
Jake
Old February 29th 04, 06:02 AM
Oldman

Jake wrote:
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Jake wrote:
[...]

Well I think you have answered your own question.. If you have found
something about that routine that works use it. If it is high reps you have
made your gains on then do high reps. Change your routine around for
something that works for you. Don't just follow a routine you found on the
internet. If it dowsn't work or causes injuries then scrap it. Each
routine you do should teach you something about your body. What did this
one teach you. By the way, I believe you will make better progress under
most circumstances exercising each body part 3 time per week. The one time
per muscle group came out of two things. One was the steroid users who
could grow doing almost anything and the HIT advocates who found out the
severity of the training called for a longer break. IMHO of course.

Old February 29th 04, 09:35 AM
Lenny Lennerson

(Jake) wrote in message . com...
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
Jake wrote:
[...]

- I really recommend HST. I've tried pretty much everything excluding
the program you're currently using(sorry) and I find HST is by far the
best for many reasons. As to "sticking it out as a matter of
principle", it's my opinion that, within reason, if something isn't
working for you then dump it.

Ask yourself if you have given it a fair shot and adhered to its
main principles. Of course, if you have been doing it half assed or
flat out wrong, then its not the programs fault. If you have followed
the program and given an honest effort and are not satisfied, then
move on. Bodybuilding is about trial and error, if it isnt working for
you and you have become discouraged, just take a week off and try
something else.

HST has many advantages over the most common programs, not the
least of which is the science that backs HST up. How anyone can read
that HST website and not be at least curious enough to give it a try
is beyond me. You also have to remember that for 5 out of every 6
workouts, you will be required to give a sub-maximal effort. That is a
HUGE bonus if you get tired of killing yourself every 48 hours in the
gym.

p.s. If you decide you want to try it, or even if you don't, I'd be
happy to email you (or anybody else who wants one) my HST Excel
spreadsheet. It's a lot smaller, more simple, and more attractive that
the one on the HST site
You can print it out on 1 piece of paper and its all you ever need to
carry with you for 9 weeks of HST training. Every workout is
pre-planned and I've found it to be a good motivator.

Old February 29th 04, 04:09 PM
Jake

(Lenny Lennerson) wrote in message om...
(Jake) wrote in message . com...
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
Jake wrote:
[...]

About the excel sheet, that would be great, thanks! The email I have
attached to my username works, send it along.

Jake

Old March 1st 04, 01:53 AM
Roger Zoul

Lenny Lennerson wrote:

[...]

:: p.s. If you decide you want to try it, or even if you don't, I'd be
:: happy to email you (or anybody else who wants one) my HST Excel
:: spreadsheet. It's a lot smaller, more simple, and more attractive
:: that
:: the one on the HST site
:: You can print it out on 1 piece of paper and its all you ever need to
:: carry with you for 9 weeks of HST training. Every workout is
:: pre-planned and I've found it to be a good motivator.

Lenny -- I'd like a copy, please. Thanks.