The ten percent rule

Old July 4th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

Default The ten percent rule

Ok, it's likely ok that if one is *easily* covering M miles a week (without
feeling fatigued, sore, or having a proto-injury) that one can safely
escalate the weekly distance by 10 percent.

But it's not quite that simple. Here are a few things I'd add to that rule:

1. You can't just compound it (like adding 10%, then 10% more on week 2,
10% more on week 3). You need to settle in there for a week or three and
see how it feels.

2. The increase you can tolerate is related to speed: if you slow down,
you might be able to increase more than 10%. Then over a few weeks if you
get used to it, your speed will move back up again.

3. If you've got a lot of background, say years and years at 60 miles per
week, and you've been doing 30, you probably can bring up the miles a lot
faster. It's still a good idea to give yourself time to adjust at each new
plateau, however.

4. If you are running one workout a day, you can often add a second very
easy morning run of 40-50% of your typical workout distance without feeling
much, if any penalty. The key is making the additional run easy.

Old July 5th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.running
I2Run

g h wrote:
|This is quite shocking information for me. I didnt realize it took
|this long to ramp up. Thinking back on past 5 yrs of trying to run, my
|legs have always been fatigued and I always felt pain walking.

Are you saying you have been trying for the last 5 years to ramp up
and ramp up quick? 5 years of gradual ramp up can get you to 100
miles, probably. Most of us here either learned our lessons or started
out cautiously, later is more like it as most of us here are masters
runners. So, the weekly numbers of 40s to 80s for mileage had humble
beginnings, but don't take long (if you are planning on a life time hobby)
to get there. As D Stumpus said, once you have gained certain amount
of experience, it is a lot easier to handle the mileage fluctuations with
variation in pace (slower when you add up miles). FWIW, I have been
running a little more than 4 years, but can vary between 40s to 70s
without any issues and so do some others like Pendejo, D Stumpus or
John Hurley. HTH and welcome to the game of patience.

15 percent grade Tony S. Running 1 February 19th 09 07:05 PM
A mere 5 percent Robert Grumbine Running 13 June 5th 06 07:02 PM
percent bodyfat: really? Lucas Buck Weights 0 March 16th 04 07:25 AM
Percent Max HR? Jason Running 0 November 4th 03 09:02 PM