Why does it take so long for legs to learn to run first 5 kms but next 5 kms is easier?

Old July 4th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

Default Why does it take so long for legs to learn to run first 5 kms but next 5 kms is easier?

In article
,
g h wrote:

I mean when you are running 20 minutes you can only increase your run 2
minutes per week but when you are running 60 minutes you can increase
your run 6 minutes per week assuming you are following the 10 percent
rule????

If you are running 20 minutes a day, three days a week, for instance, you
can increase your run six minutes per week. It's 10% of the weekly total
per week, not 10% of the daily total per week.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old July 4th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article
,
John Hurley wrote:

Adding mileage at 10 percent a week is just going to get most people in
trouble 4 or 5 weeks down the road. Even 5 percent seems pretty high.
I thought the "rule" for adding mileage on a weekly basis was somewhere
down in the 1 or 2 percent range.

As I understand it, never increase more than 10%, but don't add that 10%
every week, just every two or three weeks. And, of course, you don't have
to go the full 10%.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old July 4th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article
,
The BillRodgers wrote:

but has a mouth the size of a ****ing sewer cover,

Pot kettle black.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old July 4th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article
,
John Hurley wrote:

# As I understand it, never increase more than 10%, but don't add that
10% every week, just every two or three weeks. *And, of course, you
don't have to go the full 10%.

Both Doug and I noted that the 10 percent rule is foolish and
unrealistic and likely to lead to injury.

Both Doug and I noted that increasing my less amounts is recommended.

Note that I said "never...more than 10%"; that implies a lesser amount.
And I also said, not every week. 10% every two weeks averages 5% a week,
and 10% every three weeks averages 3.33% a week.

The advice about increasing by the 10 percent rule ( just offered ) is
coming from someone who has not been able to increase their mileage
over the last 3 years by any percentage.

That's not true. From 2008 to 2009, I increased my mileage by 45%.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old July 5th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article
,
The BillRodgers wrote:

She has me blocked, but responds to me regularly. Hmm, me smells a
liar.

I smell a lying nym-shifting asshole troll.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old July 5th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.running
Bart Mathias

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 10:23:20 -0700
Michelle wrote:

[...]
... From 2008 to 2009, I increased my mileage by 45%.

That's *nothing*! In just the first week of February 1979 I increased my mileage by infinity percent, and without injury!

--
Bart Mathias
Old July 5th 10, 06:25 AM posted to rec.running
Paul Rudin[_2_]

g h writes:

I mean when you are running 20 minutes you can only increase your run
2 minutes per week but when you are running 60 minutes you can
increase your run 6 minutes per week assuming you are following the 10
percent rule???? im up to 6kms without injury after trying for 5 yrs.
i always used to get shin splints because i could not rammp up slow.

Rules of thumb are a guide. You have to listen to your body... and not
all miles are the same and not all people are the same. Slow easy miles
put much less stress on you than hard work does. Hard surfaces are more
taxing that grass or a dreadmill or a running track.

If you feel any niggles then take it easy, if all is going well then
push on...

Also, young people recover much better.
Old July 5th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.running
bj

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote in message
Paul Rudin:
Rules of thumb are a guide. You have to listen to your body... and not
all miles are the same and not all people are the same. Slow easy miles
put much less stress on you than hard work does. Hard surfaces are more
taxing that grass or a dreadmill or a running track.

If you feel any niggles then take it easy, if all is going well then
push on...

Also, young people recover much better.

+1

Younger people can get away with a lot of things that older people can't,
plus they recover from anything a lot faster too.

OTOH they (mostly) don't yet have the judgment & wiley sneakiness that comes
from age & maturity & experience.
:-)
bj