The Harding Hustle 30k -- 2010

Old July 12th 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

Default The Harding Hustle 30k -- 2010

The Harding Hustle 30k - 2010

This is a new race, a 30k with 3700' of climb, uphill on the way out and
down on the return. It's in the mountains, it's all on dirt, and it's all
runnable and non-technical. My kind of race. Here's the website - click on
details/course for the gory details. http://www.hardinghustle.com/

There are also some nice photos of the course.

I hadn't raced in about 10 months, but had a breakthough workout last Monday
where I shattered a three year-old PR on my tempo run. So I looked for a
race on the next weekend and this got the nod.

I took two easy but longish days, then a two day taper. I also did my only
speedwork in over a year two days prior to the race: 4 times 30 seconds.
Can't hurt, right?

I was looking forward to a solid performance, but life has a way of knocking
you down to size from time to time, and I guess I was next on the list. I
had some kind of allergy attack the night before the race, and wheezed and
coughed all night. I also had trouble taking a deep breath. I wondered if it
was the large peanut butter cookie I'd eaten after dinner: it's something I
don't normally eat, and peanut allergies can be pretty severe. I had trouble
sleeping, partly because of the wheezing and partly worrying about how or if
I'd be able to run.

I have a slow-acting inhaler from when I had bronchitis, and I used it 90
minutes before the start. We had to park a few miles away and take a
school-bus shuttle to the start. By the time I got to the start, I could
breathe better - no more wheezing - but my lungs weren't fully open. I
figured I'd run a bit slower than usual, and leave it in God's hands. I
jogged a couple of miles to warm up.

At the start I went over my typical plan for long races - cruise comfortably
for the first mile or two and then find a good uphill pace somewhere below
leg burn and hard breathing. Usually I end up in the top 20% of the field at
the first mile, and then pick people off from there to the end - at least
that's what happens on a decent day.

The gun went off, and we surged forward - I was about 10th place as we swung
up into the climb. Then people started blowing by me, and my legs were
burning. I tried to keep up, and breathed harder, close to my maximum. Still
they surged by. Not good. I should have backed off right there and just
jogged up as if it were a training run, but my ego took over and I strained
in vain to keep up as I kept getting passed. It was like a bad dream, where
I'm struggling to move and it's like I'm walking through water. I ended up
stubbornly working way too hard, at about 10k effort for the first 3.5
miles. Then I turned around and realized that I was about 2/3 back into the
pack. By now people stopped passing me, and I ran with a young man (everyone
is younger than I am these days for a bit. We chatted some between
breaths. At about 40 minutes I suddenly felt my lungs open up several
notches. Finally I felt normal, and it was as if I were being propelled
forward. I was able to lower my effort and at the same time pass several
people over the next mile.

I was in 45th place at the quarter-way aid station. I cruised the rest of
the way up and hit the turn around at 4400' elevation in 37th place. Next
was the downhill, which is my specialty. Unfortunately, I'd gone so hard in
the first awful miles that my legs were mush, and I could only average 7:10
per mile. Usually, even in 50k's, I run considerably faster on the runnable
downs. Even so, I passed 7 more to the 14 mile checkpoint, and 5 more in the
last push to the finish. I was hurting all the way down, but just couldn't
get any leg speed.

Anyway, I finished in 2:55, and got first in the 50-59's (I'm 58) and 25th
overall out of 81. Maybe my worst finish in a trail race ever! But after my
lungs got going, I felt I hung in there, and pushed hard all the way down.
One little mathematical/imaginary game I play after a race is to adjust for
the age related slowdown (17% at age 58): that exercise resulted in 2:29,
about 4th overall.

This was a well run race - no hiccups even though it was the inaugural run.
The first results were online well before the last runners finished, and
they recorded splits at halfway up/down and at the turnaround. Jessica (who
runs Dirty Feet Productions) did a fine job. She even had three or four
massage tables going. Here's a pic I snapped of the aftermath:

http://screencast.com/t/ODdmMmE5ODk

Old July 13th 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

"jobs" wrote

The website says: "Runners MUST carry 1 water bottle"
Is that really enforced?

It's just common sense, regardless. It gets really hot there (often over
100F). Everyone was "carrying."

How many water stations were there on the course?

4.5 miles, 9.3 miles, 14 miles and the finish, of course. For me that was
50 minutes, 1:45, and 2:30 into the race, under a blazing sun. I drank two
bottles on the way up, and one on the way down. I could have used more, but
didn't want to stop with less than 30 minutes to go, and my legs weren't
pre-cramping, so I chanced it.

I drank 72 oz (three 24 oz bottles) during the race, then had 48 oz
afterward, and I was still 3-4 lbs light
when I got home. (That's a total of 7 lbs of liquid consumed during and
afterward).

Looks like you forgot the cardinal rule of not trying anything different
just before a race. On the other hand, it could have been something else
entirely different.

You are absolutely right. Of course as I was eating the delicious cookie
the 11th commandment
popped into my head: "Thou shalt not eat untried stuff the night before a
race." But I
foolishly cast it aside.

Congrats on the AG and the strong finish. Looks like you picked up quite a
few places by the finish.

Yeah, too bad my legs were too thrashed to attack the downhill, there were a
lot of targets.

The first results were online well before the last runners finished,

Isn't it cool to live in LA amidst cutting edge technology unlike the
ultras that Doug runs where the results have to mailed by Pony Express to
the nearest Internet cafe? ;-)

Whoda thunk it? Wi-fi at the trailhead?? Maybe a ham operator gave her an
RF/internet portal.

Old July 13th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.running
Teresa Bippert-Plymate

Strong running, Dan! Bummer about the breathing, you would have
undoubtedly done much better if your lungs had cooperated! But still,
great way to hang in there through the tough and surge the end!!

Teresa in AZ

Old July 13th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.running
I2Run

D Stumpus wrote:
| The Harding Hustle 30k - 2010
snipped
| Anyway, I finished in 2:55, and got first in the 50-59's (I'm 58) and 25th
| overall out of 81. Maybe my worst finish in a trail race ever! But after my
| lungs got going, I felt I hung in there, and pushed hard all the way down.
| One little mathematical/imaginary game I play after a race is to adjust for
| the age related slowdown (17% at age 58): that exercise resulted in 2:29,
| about 4th overall.
Wow Dan, you had an excellent race in spite of breathing problems.
Not bad for beating up on the younger 50+ guys, congrats.
How did you keep track of your changing placement during the course
of the race so exact (like 45, 37 etc.), while it varied so much and with
so many people ahead of you (2/3 of the field) early on?

Old July 14th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

"I2Run" wrote

Wow Dan, you had an excellent race in spite of breathing problems.
Not bad for beating up on the younger 50+ guys, congrats.

Thanks, but I picked my parents very carefully

How did you keep track of your changing placement during the course
of the race so exact (like 45, 37 etc.), while it varied so much and with
so many people ahead of you (2/3 of the field) early on?

The 2/3 guesstimate at mile 3 I could do just looking ahead and back. The
other positions
were from Jessica's (the RD) split times and places at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4
mark.

Old July 14th 10, 02:29 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

"Teresa Bippert-Plymate" wrote

Strong running, Dan! Bummer about the breathing, you would have
undoubtedly done much better if your lungs had cooperated! But still,
great way to hang in there through the tough and surge the end!!

Thanks, my bod didn't cooperate, but I had a good time out there.

Old July 14th 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

An early starter (you could start at 6:00 am if you needed more time to
finish)
did a nice video blog of the race:

http://www.youtube.com/v/LVOldu0gGL0...l=en_US&fs

Old July 15th 10, 07:32 AM posted to rec.running
Anthony[_2_]

Nice going Dan. Well fought out and good comeback in
the 2nd half. Interesting - because I just read a chapter
in Keith Livingstone's HIT book last night and he described
a race where he started really sluggishly and thought he was
in for a terrible day, and then in the 2nd half everything
clicked, and he had a good race overall...

Still a bit ironic that you decided to race after some
breakthrough training, and then had all those pre-race
and start of race breathing problems...

Anthony.
Old July 16th 10, 05:35 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus[_4_]

"Anthony" said

Nice going Dan. Well fought out and good comeback in
the 2nd half. Interesting - because I just read a chapter
in Keith Livingstone's HIT book last night and he described
a race where he started really sluggishly and thought he was in for a
terrible day, and then in the 2nd half everything clicked, and he had a
good race overall...

Thanks, Anthony.
It was a blessing to get most of my lungpower back after 40 minutes.

Still a bit ironic that you decided to race after some
breakthrough training, and then had all those pre-race
and start of race breathing problems...

It seems that most of the time I've had a great training build-up to a race,
that something (sickness, injury, overtraining or breathing issues) comes
up.
Gotta stay humble...

Unfortunately, that was 2:55:50 of hard effort, so it will be a 2-3 weeks
before
I see if I'm still running well again for the next race (the Bulldog 50k).