Body Solid vs. Body Craft-Any Suggestions/Comments??

Old August 31st 03, 10:11 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Default Body Solid vs. Body Craft-Any Suggestions/Comments??

Joe wrote:

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing one of the following machines for
leg extensions and curls. Does anyone have the Body Craft
Total Leg Machine or experience with Body Craft quality?

I'm leaning to the Body Craft because I like that the
lifting mechanism/bar does *not* run between the legs vs.
most benches (like the Body SOLID) below. However, I also
own a piece of Body Solid equipment, which has pretty decent
quality.

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated!

I wouldn't touch either with a ten-foot pole (hey, you said ANY
opinions). I'd rather squat.

--
-Wayne
Old September 1st 03, 08:56 PM
Knack

"John M. Williams" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

On 31 Aug 2003 21:11:22 GMT, "Wayne S. Hill" wrote:

Joe wrote:

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing one of the following machines for
leg extensions and curls. Does anyone have the Body Craft
Total Leg Machine or experience with Body Craft quality?

I'm leaning to the Body Craft because I like that the
lifting mechanism/bar does *not* run between the legs vs.
most benches (like the Body SOLID) below. However, I also
own a piece of Body Solid equipment, which has pretty decent
quality.

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated!

I wouldn't touch either with a ten-foot pole (hey, you said ANY
opinions). I'd rather squat.

Thanks Wayne, I do appreciate ANY feedback!

While I know most on the board here preach squats (I also do calf
work, hyperextensions, leg curls, light deadlifts and bicycling for
legs), my sports medicine doctor/orthopedic surgeon specifically
ordered leg extensions for knee problems caused by years of squatting
incorrectly and miles and miles on the bicycle. I've followed his
advice with great success in strengthening the knee and surrounding
muscles and ligaments.

I've followed the many "leg extensions Bad!" "squat Good!" arguments
on the board, yet for my situation/body mechanics/past injuries, etc.,
leg extensions ROM no greater than 45 degrees have been a *mandatory*
and effective supplemental exercise for legs.

Given that extensions are a part of my routine, would appreciate your
and others' feedback on the equipment (especially if you have used or
own the Body Craft equipment, since I'm unfamiliar with that as a
brand name).

BodyCraft Total Leg Machine
http://www.body-craft.com/F640.tpl

Looks like a rubber band machine. Elastic resistance devices just
don't provide a natural resistance. Rubber will degrade over a few
years, much faster if it's used frequently. And the replacement
rubber bands always cost an obscene sum ... if they're still
available. Iron lasts essentially forever.

Body Solid Leg Extension/Curl

http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/...Body/WLCE365.h

tml

This looks like a pretty well made machine. The weight balance would
be better if the plates were on both sides instead of stacked above.
But I would still prefer it to rubber bands or any other elastic
resistance device.

More about the rubber band machine--
Elastic resistance is nonuniform resistance; tension increases as "forward"
motion increases. So the BodyCraft will not provide much resistance at the
beginning of the motion, but resistance will progressively increase thru the
range of motion. Those BowFlex machines work that way too.

Old September 1st 03, 09:19 PM
John M. Williams

"Knack" wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

Which has been the source of my previous criticism of Bowflex
machines.
Old June 22nd 14, 12:20 PM
Prelyudia Prelyudia is offline
Banned