Good Mornings vs Deadlifts: Kinesiological differences?

Old September 12th 05, 05:47 AM
Brian Link

Default Good Mornings vs Deadlifts: Kinesiological differences?

I've had troubles with deadlifts, and using EXRX as a guide, have
replaced them with goodmornings. My hamstring development has been
acceptable, as has my gluteal development. My lifted-weight increase
is noticeable.

As a layman, the two exercises (gmornings, deadlifts) seem similar in
mechanics as they impact the legs - one (gmornings) carries the load
on the shoulders, the other also includes the arms (dlifts).

How do they differ in impact on the hamstring/gluteal muscles?

BLink
Old September 12th 05, 02:31 PM
Steve Freides

"Brian Link" wrote in message
I've had troubles with deadlifts, and using EXRX as a guide, have
replaced them with goodmornings. My hamstring development has been
acceptable, as has my gluteal development. My lifted-weight increase
is noticeable.

As a layman, the two exercises (gmornings, deadlifts) seem similar in
mechanics as they impact the legs - one (gmornings) carries the load
on the shoulders, the other also includes the arms (dlifts).

How do they differ in impact on the hamstring/gluteal muscles?

Many people find the grooves similar enough that, even if they compete
at deadlifting, they can get away with training mostly the GM and doing
the DL only once every couple of weeks or so. Many such people also
squat so it's not clear that the GM alone would give sufficient
carryover but I'm sure there's a decent carryover, even if you don't
squat. The biggest difference between the GM and DL I'm aware of, other
than the ones you mention, is the fact that the GM includes a negative
portion. Negatives have a reputation for being good for hypertrophy,
which is what you've after if memory serves, so your purposes may be
best served by GM's and not DL's. (For me, the lack of a negative and
lack of potential for hypertrophy is one of the reasons I DL and not
GM.) Of course, one can work the negative in the DL but it's riskier
than working the negative in the GM.

Just my opinion.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

BLink

Old June 22nd 14, 12:07 PM
Prelyudia Prelyudia is offline
Banned

Itís really great posts.

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 09:32 PM
Help! 800cal/day = good diet or ED? "Eat less, do more" not working? VLCD trap? vlcd_hell Weights 126 February 7th 04 12:21 AM
Practice of summarily dismissing bifid rib patients resembles the circumstances of the Milgrim experiment. Don Saklad Weights 5 January 15th 04 02:45 PM
Good times MJL Weights 10 December 7th 03 03:51 PM
deadlift vs. good mornings determined Weights 17 November 13th 03 11:57 PM