New Runner

Old September 15th 03, 09:51 PM
Blondie

Default New Runner

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:09:55 +0000 (UTC), "MSA"
wrote:

"Radioactive Man" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:27:44 +0000 (UTC), "MSA"
wrote:

Hi, quick question if anyone can help.

I'm a competitive cyclist, currently clocking up around 400km per week +
time trials. I have recently taken up running in order to start

triathlons.
I have only been running for a week but wanted to make sure that the

muscle
pain I am experiencing in my legs is 'normal'.
Tonight was my 4th run (I am completely new to this remember) and was 1

hour
10 minutes in length. I came in, stretched and then took a shower. When

came to go down the stairs I could hardly walk! the muscle pain in the
front of my thighs is excruciating! I felt something not as bad after my
previous runs (shorter length) but nothing this bad before.

Now I know that cycling uses different muscle groups, but I didn't expect

suffer like this!

Is this normal..am I being a wuss?

Mark, sitting at his computer, dreading going down the stairs again :-)

You need to take it way easier on the running at first. The 400 k per
week of cycling has done wonders to prepare your heart, lungs, and
_some_ muscles for running, but absolutely nothing to prepare others.
You must now train the weak links - muscles used in running, but not
cycling. If you do this right, your running workouts will seem
childishly easy at first, but you should still be able to improve much
more quickly than someone who was previously a couch potato.

Hi again!

Thanks for the replies. Like most things in life I have gone into this full
steam instead of building up. I guess I thought "hey I'm fit, this ain't
gonna be a problem"!. Legs are better today but I've cancelled out my
training ride tonight...and I don't do that very often!

I'll take another day off and then ease back into it, maybe 30 minutes for a
week or so and then build up. Does that sound better?

When I first took up running again, doing 2 or 3 days per week, I did
something like warm up with a little walking, run 1/2 a mile at an
easy pace (such as 8 or 9 min per mile), then walk a bit more to cool
down. I then added 1/4 mile to the workouts every week or two,
eventually progressing to speed work and some longer and shorter runs.
I was not starting out as a couch potato, but was in fairly decent
shape from regular weight training, but still the impact took a while
to get used to. As a cyclist, you are probably at a better starting
point that I was. If you don't want these initially run training
sessions to bore you, you might try doing them after a bike ride, but
just be careful to start the run easy and don't overdo the distance.